Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 04:24 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think I was born feeling old (looking around the newborn nursery, thinking, "damn, I'm the oldest one here!). Comes from being the oldest of a number of siblings and having parents that expected inordinate amounts of responsibility of me from a very young age.

I had jolts of feeling "really old" as I got older. As in, when I first got that invite to join AARP at age 50. Never did take them up on their invitation, though.

I thought, "REALLY old now" on my 60th birthday.

Now I know I've arrived at old age now that I'm 71 and retired. But the interesting thing (and amusing, to me) is to be considered a "young woman" by healthcare providers and others in our community, at least compared to the ages of many of the other residents of our community-many many people here in their 80's and well beyond.

It really is all relative.

Boy, can I relate to that! The oldest of seven and became the 'responsible one' at age five. Didn't end till I left home after graduation. I am grateful that I never resented all the responsibility and, in fact, was pretty proud of the fact that my parents were proud of my being so dependable and responsible.

On my 60th b'day I remember thinking that if I was really lucky I'd make it to 85 and that was 25 long years away. Well, I just turned 76 and 85 ain't THAT far away anymore! And we all know how fast those years can just fly by. So, I guess I'll have to up that to what...95?? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 04:28 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Ah! The "Fountain of Youth" that Juan Ponce de León was seeking back in the day.

Similar story as mine. Not "old", but a big whack to the side of the head with a 2x4 by 'Advancing Age' announcing that I wasn't a kid anymore. In my case, it was pick-up games of tackle football or some other such physical activity. Beforehand, we'd always go home sore and usually feel it that evening, but after a good night's sleep, we were ready to go again the next day. No lingering pain.

After age 40, I'd wake up still sore. Whoa! What's going on?

I gave up tackle football after that. These days, after a metric century ride, (100Km or 62.1 mi.), I'm usually 'wasted' the rest of the day, but okay the next.

I refuse to "grow up".

That's the one thing I don't like about getting older...those annoying aches and pains. If I woke up in the morning without them though I'd probably think I was dead. At least they let me know I'm still alive! lol

Old 10-30-2018, 12:07 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
I think the minute I allow myself to say I'm old is when I'll begin to feel old. Not yet. Maybe 20 years. Now THAT's old.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:24 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
After my aunt passed. After her funeral Us neices nephews, her kids and grandkids and great grandkids were sitting at the food venue. Her daughter, my cousin (60), said "we are the seniors now ". ( she herself has grandkids who could make her a great grandmother, they are already driving and in high school).

My other cousin said " im not old, im never getting old". I looked at him and said " you're over 50, you're old!!"

With all my medical issues i feel every one of my 55 years. Plus.

And im quite content to order from the "55 and over menu" or the senior menu.
Speaking of which. Since McDonald's has added touch screen order systems in its restaurants and other restaurants have added electronic pay station thing a ma bobbers at tables ( none of which i know how to use), makes me feel old!!!!

It took me 2 years to learn how to effectively use my smart phone, longer than it took me to learn computers many many years ago. Of course they were simpler then, lol. One color green or orange screen, a few floppy drives and you were set. Lol. Of course that could cost you $5k.

I told my 30 yr old manager, who was swearing at his computer trying to fix something " personal computers were not out when i graduated from high school "!!! He said " oh dont even tell me that!!!"

Lot of things besides my aches and pains make me feel old. Lol.

Getting old is not for the young, just the young at heart.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:47 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
I should have prefaced my post that when i was 20 was the first time i felt "age,"
A teen came up at the store i worked at and called me "Sir". I looked around to see whom he might have been talking to....then, seeing noone, i asked if he was talking to me? He said he was.

I have NEVER liked being called "Sir". It makes me feel older than i am, no matter what age i am....although i dont mind being called a "gentleman".

Old 10-30-2018, 07:31 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I should have prefaced my post that when i was 20 was the first time i felt "age,"
A teen came up at the store i worked at and called me "Sir". I looked around to see whom he might have been talking to....then, seeing no one, i asked if he was talking to me? He said he was.

I have NEVER liked being called "Sir". It makes me feel older than i am, no matter what age i am....although i don't mind being called a "gentleman".

It could have been an honorific. In some places, that's the way they raise their children. Went to a high school basketball game with my Montana lady friend, (in a very small central Montana town), and when I met her grandson after the game, he was sir this and sir that. Every sentence! He is home-schooled and headed for the Naval Academy after high school. It didn't make me feel old . . . it made me feel respected and gave me a sense that at least a few kids who will become the producers and rulers of our society are level-headed and got it right.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-01-2018, 09:22 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Im 65. Thats old enough to be called old. Afterall, I cant out run a 4 yr old. See, thats old

Old 11-01-2018, 09:49 AM

18,719 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It could have been an honorific. In some places, that's the way they raise their children. ...
Yes, especially in some part of the country (that is, not the East Coast).

I've been ma'am-ed plenty in recent years but certainly here in my Western mountain town. The scruffiest looking guy will still hold that door at the store and call me ma'am. I think it's very nice.

I noticed my age at 65, the rite of passage in the U.S. being Medicare. Did the math, not much angst that I'd lived the majority of my life, not much of a surprise. I've done most of the things I wanted to do, or thought I wanted to do, that were in my control. I am fortunate to live in a community now where the average age is close to 50, unlike the family-oriented suburb I lived in during my working life.

I have always been wary of the compromises in activity/life/health with older and old age. Can't seem to go with the flow without a backup plan to a backup plan, but that's just my way of operating. Don't really have a concept of "old" or "not old."

And yes, having started my lifting/cardio program this week, yes, I felt it. And will be going today after I finish procrastinating.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:59 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,841 times
When my bosses started to be younger than me, around 50. A depressing trend that has just continued and has made me feel my age more and more every year. Can't wait to retire and no longer be bossed around by children!

Old 11-01-2018, 12:20 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,742 times
"You're only as old as you feel and I haven't been felt in years"

BaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement