Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 04:38 PM

896 posts, read 1,140,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That certainly worked out well. This mini-vacation from one another was my wife's idea and I thought it a good one. I returned home awhile ago and she was less than welcoming. She then informed me that she wanted a divorce and admitted that her mind was made up before I even left. That's special!
What!! I am in TOTAL shock. I keep thinking this must be a joke, but, then I realize, I do not believe you would joke in this way. What must she be thinking. I am so very sorry. I hope you can sort things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 04:48 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
What? Seriously?
Quite seriously!

Old 07-07-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
What!! I am in TOTAL shock. I keep thinking this must be a joke, but, then I realize, I do not believe you would joke in this way. What must she be thinking. I am so very sorry. I hope you can sort things out.
Going out the door on Sunday my little mental voice that I always listen to said that this was going to be the outcome. Thus, I was not surprised. I wish it was otherwise but her mind is made up and that's that.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:57 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Sorry to hear this - it may work out - only you would know if that was a possibility or even something that is in your best interest. You seem like you would try to hang in there no matter what and that isn't always the best course. Take care of yourself - think this out rationally. She may be reacting because you left for a few days.

My question is - Is this what you want?

If it doesn't work out, remember - no more marriages. At this stage in life it's much easier and safer to "live in sin".

But when in need to rant or just talk it out - we are here. None of us know what daily life is like for you so any advice is well - just conjecture.

Just another reminder of why I choose to be single.

Last edited by Umbria; 07-07-2015 at 06:14 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Going out the door on Sunday my little mental voice that I always listen to said that this was going to be the outcome. Thus, I was not surprised. I wish it was otherwise but her mind is made up and that's that.
I am sincerely sorry, I truly am. Do you suppose this is related to her health issues? What now? Is she planning to return to California? We are here if you want to talk about it.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Sorry to hear this - it may work out - only you would know if that was a possibility or even something that is in your best interest. You seem like you would try to hang in there no matter what and that isn't always the best course. Take care of yourself - think this out rationally. She may be reacting because you left for a few days.

My question is - Is his what you want?

If it doesn't work out, remember - no more marriages. At this stage in life it's much easier and safer to "live in sin".

But when in need to rant or just talk it out - we are here. None of us know what daily life is like for you so any advice is well - just conjecture.

Just another reminder of why I choose to be single.
Given her feelings and what she's now telling her friends and her daughters, it is and it isn't. What I thought were 23 years of friendship, 18 of them married, down the drain. As for the rest, thanks and decidedly no more marriage. Too much work and after a total of 43 years of it, too little return in the end.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I am sincerely sorry, I truly am. Do you suppose this is related to her health issues? What now? Is she planning to return to California? We are here if you want to talk about it.
It's decidedly related to one issue for which she refuses to seek help. What now? Hopefully a reasonably amicable divorce although the more she talks to her girlfriends the less likely that seems. More's the pity. She has talked to her youngest daughter about returning to CA and them living together. That was predictable. I also think it's a mistake but I don't have a vote.

Thanks for being here. In the end and 45 years later I guess a combat veteran and former state narcotics agent had no business marrying an original 60s hippie and expecting it to work. Stupid me!

Old 07-07-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
It's decidedly related to one issue for which she refuses to seek help. What now? Hopefully a reasonably amicable divorce although the more she talks to her girlfriends the less likely that seems. More's the pity. She has talked to her youngest daughter about returning to CA and them living together. That was predictable. I also think it's a mistake but I don't have a vote.

Thanks for being here. In the end and 45 years later I guess a combat veteran and former state narcotics agent had no business marrying an original 60s hippie and expecting it to work. Stupid me!
Time to move into "Save Yourself Mode". You've been through this before, but, this time, you are older and wiser.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Time to move into "Save Yourself Mode". You've been through this before, but, this time, you are older and wiser.
LOL! Well, older for sure.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:31 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
From what I have put together from many of your posts, you are dealing with a lot of dysfunction - something that you can't fix. Going forward you need to protect yourself and not take the blame or be the "good guy" and hand it over. You did that once.

Get a good lawyer - her talking with the daughter is not a good sign - they are plotting something. Stand up for yourself - geez - you dealt with druggies, you can deal with this. Imagine the phone bill for all the calls to CA while you were gone. I believe I know what issue she refuses to get help with. I just don't want you to be taken advantage of - again.

The minute she's gone you'll be surprised at all the "casseroles" that are delivered to your door BUT - the first sign of dysfunction and you are out of there!!!!

Armchair therapy here - you grew up in dysfunction - married into dysfunction (twice) - time for some peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement