Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 05:57 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times

Advertisements

At the request of some fellow posters I am starting this thread. Most of us are aware we need to downsize, are frantically doing it now, or have downsized in the past.

What about the flip side of this? Getting older isn't all about letting go of absolutely everything, no?

Okay, here goes. Last week I sprung for a pair of shoes I've been stalking. I didn't need them, but they will make my outfits more workable in the hotter months when I want to wear boot cut jeans, which IMO look ridiculous with boat shoes and at the very least questionable with ballet flats.

I bought some books for DH, he says he's going to weed some out. Wink wink nod.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

If you think this is in the wrong forum please tell a moderator, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 06:53 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,865 times
I'm a closet hoarder--literally!

My guilty pleasure is prowling around consignment stores and picking up mostly tops, but this year because I've lost some weight I purchased some shorts and jeans as well. My biggest coup thus far this summer is a $4 pair of Ann Taylor jeans that fit absolutely perfectly--no hemming required! Consignment shopping is a good way to try a new style/color without spending a fortune. The downside is that I have far too many clothes for the short summers we have in the NE. With the weight loss this summer I make sure that when I buy something that goes into the closet, something else is taken out and consigned/donated. I also have a habit of buying clothes that I love but since I don't socialize much I have no place to wear them.

In the winter time my wardrobe doesn't vary much (jeans / black or gray top) because I don't want to think about what to wear--I'm lucky that I have enough energy to roll out of bed and go to work! But when spring rolls around I want to dress up! I want to wear white and tropical colors! This is hard to pull off in the Northeast. One summer we took a day trip to NYC and I wore white capris and Hawaiian shirt. I stuck out like a sore thumb amidst the sea of black slacks and white button down blouses.

As for shoes, I have a very hard size to find (6.5 W) so sometimes if the shoe fits I'll buy it just because. I've discovered that size 5 girls' shoes fit me just fine so I always check out the kids' department for colorful strappy sandals or kitten heels.

My plan is to retire to St. Petersburg, FL in a few years. I can't wait to ditch my winter clothes for good and wear my maxi sundresses and kid sandals!

Old 07-05-2015, 06:53 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
Oh dear, I hate to confess!! I must admit though I cannot pass up new fishing lures even though I couldn't possibly use up what I already own in the next 10 years and soft plastic swim baits are my newest weakness

Old 07-05-2015, 07:02 AM

30,519 posts, read 16,213,477 times
oops-caught! lol

I found a pair of hippo salt/pepper shakers Friday. They followed me home.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:12 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
I ripped all my old CDs and albums and put it all on my 64G capacity iPod. I use AppleTV with Airplay to wirelessly connect to my stereo system. It works wonderfully.

With that change I'm now able to get rid of a lot of audio equipment, cabinets, and physical recordings. My room looks much bigger with all that stuff gone.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:19 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
oops-caught! lol

I found a pair of hippo salt/pepper shakers Friday. They followed me home.

Isn't it just terrible when that happens?........LOL

I have a cousin that used to have thousands and I do literally mean thousands of sets of Salt & Pepper Shakers.

My guilty useless pleasures are fabric and office supplies however, I have not purchased any for almost six months now and I continue to sort and donate or get ready for garage sale but that is another thread.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:25 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Oh dear, I hate to confess!! I must admit though I cannot pass up new fishing lures even though I couldn't possibly use up what I already own in the next 10 years and soft plastic swim baits are my newest weakness
One of my friends finally fessed up to being a collector. We needled him into using one of his favorites and he was sweating bullets (for the benefit of others, "swim baits" are very lifelike baitfish imitations that often cost upwards of $15 each). I like tying **** and flies and fill boxes a lot faster than I can empty them.

EDIT - Weird. I guess it thinks what rhymes with twigs and is a lot like a fly with a lead head is a slur.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:42 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
At the request of some fellow posters I am starting this thread. Most of us are aware we need to downsize, are frantically doing it now, or have downsized in the past.

What about the flip side of this? Getting older isn't all about letting go of absolutely everything, no?

Okay, here goes. Last week I sprung for a pair of shoes I've been stalking. I didn't need them, but they will make my outfits more workable in the hotter months when I want to wear boot cut jeans, which IMO look ridiculous with boat shoes and at the very least questionable with ballet flats.

I bought some books for DH, he says he's going to weed some out. Wink wink nod.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

If you think this is in the wrong forum please tell a moderator, thanks.
Not a hoarder, but do like to buy clothes and shoes. I don't hoard because I get rid of clothes I no longer wear. Just ordered new slim hangers to do another closet organization.

If I like an article of clothing, I will get it in several colors. Shoes too.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:49 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I only buy what I absolutely need these days but I absolutely needed a good pair of walking shoes that would also be lightweight for travel. I went to the outlet mall and checked out what they had for Keens and what size I took. Then I went on ebay and bought the same shoes for $36.00 + shipping. Saved about $60 that way.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:07 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
I have always been short of lamps - table lamps/ floor lamps. I just never think about these things and now find that I will need proper lighting when I sell this house. There's so much of this house I just don't spend much time in. Great sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement