Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 12:43 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times

Advertisements

I have always had large dogs (rescued labs mostly) but now I am widowed, dogless, retired & living in a townhome.

When I am home I would love to have a dog but the problem is that I am
traveling quite a bit to see family & friends and feel it would be hard to
figure out care while I am away..In a house with fenced yard & garage it was easier to
have people stop by to feed, but a townhouse would mean 2-3 visits per day..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 12:45 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Why I'm getting an RV: so my pets can travel WITH me in retirement! It's an idea worth considering...

Old 07-07-2015, 01:39 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I have always had large dogs (rescued labs mostly) but now I am widowed, dogless, retired & living in a townhome.

When I am home I would love to have a dog but the problem is that I am
traveling quite a bit to see family & friends and feel it would be hard to
figure out care while I am away..In a house with fenced yard & garage it was easier to
have people stop by to feed, but a townhouse would mean 2-3 visits per day..
My 6 pound Pomeranian has traveled with me. He is 8 years old and we live in Miami FL and he has traveled.
- all over Florida
- all over Georgia,NC mountains in Asheville- Boone
- northeast from NYC to Maine, Niagara Falls to Toronto Canada
- Midwest from central Illinois to Chicago
- west coast Portland And Bend Oregon, western Washington from the southern border to Seattle

He loves going boating, car and plane rides

Old 07-07-2015, 02:44 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
I miss my dog very much. She was 15. She was the perfect family dog.
As much as I miss her, I just can't get another one. It is about a 15 year commitment.
I travel, often my husband and I have long days that no one is home. It would be unfair.
So to answer the question. No I don't need or want a pet at this time.
I look forward to my sons getting a pet! I can babysit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadbedlam View Post
Do yourself a favor, save a senior cat, dog, bunny, ferret, horse, bird. It's the best thing you'll ever do for yourself.
Just remember that they do not have medicare or insurance or prescription plan.
I miss my dog very much. The last two years of her life was a boat load of money.
Do I regret the expensive? No, not at all.

You have to be aware of the expense of a senior animal.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
As much as I miss her, I just can't get another one. It is about a 15 year commitment.
I travel, often my husband and I have long days that no one is home. It would be unfair.

I miss my dog very much. The last two years of her life was a boat load of money.

Get a 15-year-old dog from the shelter, and you don't have to do anything beyond "comfort care" for it.

Don't let greedy vets bully you! Consider it hospice for pets. I would love to run such a place one day...

Old 07-07-2015, 03:15 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
I look forward to my sons getting a pet! I can babysit!!.
Have you considered doing some volunteer work at your local animal shelter to get your dog fix? They usually need people who are willing to help with walking dogs and with basic socialization. It's a nice way to get in some fun with Fido without all the responsibilities that go along with ownership (or fostering).

Old 07-07-2015, 03:23 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Uh, no; two dogs are better than one dog. One cat is better than two cats. Dogs are pack animals and will keep each other company. Cats are solitary hunters; my two mostly hunt for my undivided attention and "hunt" each other, each hoping to kill off the competition... If I'd known this, I'd have stopped at just one!
I have had cats all of my life. And have had dogs, too. Prefer cats.

A solitary kitty gets very lonely and they do get depressed. Two or more are one another's playmates. What you see with your two is playing. Yes, they get a bit rough, but for them it's fun.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
One of the two cats my Son adopted was a mature cat that had evidently been abused or neglected. When he got her she would just lay by herself and really didn't want any interaction. Now, 3 years later, she runs up to you to be petted and she sleeps by his side every night.

The big advantage of adopting an adult dog or cat is that you avoid that puppy and kitten crazy stage where they tear up the place. You also save a little animal's life because adults are passed over for the cuter pups and kittens.

When I had to put down my last cat I cried like a baby and swore never again. But one day Lucky showed up under a car in traffic and now he and his two room mates are the joy of our lives. I can not recommend a pet enough, especially for the health benefits they bring us by making us happy and laughing all the time.

Don

Old 07-07-2015, 03:27 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Quote:

Recently needed to put my cat down due to terminal illness. The total cost was over $300.

My daughter has invested in pet insurance. It is something like $47/month but she has had some extremely high vet bills for her pug.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I have had cats all of my life. And have had dogs, too. Prefer cats.

A solitary kitty gets very lonely and they do get depressed. Two or more are one another's playmates. What you see with your two is playing. Yes, they get a bit rough, but for them it's fun.
Mmm, no... I can tell the difference, too... They is hatred in one's eyes and fear in the other's.

A kitty alone all day while I worked would get depressed, but we're talking about in retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement