Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:29 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
There's no reason a small dog can't travel with you, there are so many pet-friendly rentals these days. Cats, a lot more difficult (they're the "easy" stay-at-home pet).
We would definitely have a "go" dog, since our areas is very pet friendly, but I meant we want to take a vacation where he could not go, like one of those river cruises in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 03:00 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I agree, you can bond with a bird. My bird understands most of what I say to her and she sits on my shoulder and preens my hair for me! If I say I'll rub her neck, she tilts her head up so I can do so. So
funny. She's a cockatiel and so beautiful. I got her when she was 2 months old and now she's 9 years so
she's settled into living with me. She comes and goes out of her cage, mostly going to the top and sitting but will fly if I prompt her to.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1436466511
She's beautiful, Littlelu. I'm sure you and she have a wonderful life together.

One of my neighbors has 14 tiels! All from their original pair. Mom and Pop are still alive also. They are such sweet birds. They fly onto me and "chat" with me every time I go over.

"Sunny", my finch was bonded to me. He loved to interact with me hopping around his cage and perches talking to me. Peeping was more like it. Can't tell me there was no bond. I love their sound. Delightful compared to the parrot. LOL, even parakeets sound better than my Senegal. When he screeches.

Even the fish my husband used to have liked me! Of course I know that was just looking for chows but his mouse liked me too. My bettas used to swim up and rub up against my finger. Those are nice fish.

What can I say, I am an animal lover and they love me back.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:10 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
......(SNIP)>>>>>> We are retired. Both my husband and I miss having a pet, but he remains adamant that he doesn't want to be tied down.

Realizing that we are all different and have different opinions about certain aspects of having a pet (and wanting to travel occasionally) in our retirement years, please consider the following:

First of all, I have had various breeds of dogs as pets and hunting dogs all my life. I am in my 84th year, been retired 22 years, widowed 10 yrs, love to travel and at present I have a 9 1/2 yr old Brittany (got him at 10 weeks), and in these last 9 years he has traveled with me 80,000 miles (in his travel crate in the SUV) down to FL, GA, Alabama, Illinois, Iowa, Wis, MN, KS, AZ, UT, NM, TX, and a couple more that have slipped my mind.

He has been with me when I have rented "Vacation Rental Homes" for 3 to 5 (winter) months in AZ (5 times); GA (2 times) and have had him with me in hundreds of Motel Rooms and B&B facilities across our wonderful country. Many of my trips with him have been "Upland Bird Hunting Trips", others have been vacation trips, and 3 trips have been for "Reunions" up to 1650 miles one way!

All it takes is the following list of "things", "preparation", "planning", "foresight", "patience" and common sense!...:

A Breed that suits your desires and needs.
A Suitable and convenient-to-use Dog-Travel-Crate.
A "well-trained-dog" that is responsive to your commands and requests.
All the necessary "things" to care for the dog:.... food, pans, water, pads or blankets for inside the crate, dog first-aid-kit, nail trimmer, lead rope or leash, tie out rope or light chain, and "training aids':... (Electronic Collar, Whistles, Flashlight, I.D. Tags and be sure your dog is current on all vaccinations and is "Micro-Chipped", and if you're in Rattle Snake Country have him innoculated with "Snake Vaccine" and also have him previously "Snake-Broke" by a professional who uses Live (muzzled) Rattle Snakes. A permitted hand-gun possibly would be adviseable in Snake Country down near the Boarder

On all these trips my Smart Phone, Lap Top, and My Dog are indispensable. Happy travels.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:46 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

Realizing that we are all different and have different opinions about certain aspects of having a pet (and wanting to travel occasionally) in our retirement years, please consider the following:

First of all, I have had various breeds of dogs as pets and hunting dogs all my life. I am in my 84th year, been retired 22 years, widowed 10 yrs, love to travel and at present I have a 9 1/2 yr old Brittany (got him at 10 weeks), and in these last 9 years he has traveled with me 80,000 miles (in his travel crate in the SUV) down to FL, GA, Alabama, Illinois, Iowa, Wis, MN, KS, AZ, UT, NM, TX, and a couple more that have slipped my mind.

He has been with me when I have rented "Vacation Rental Homes" for 3 to 5 (winter) months in AZ (5 times); GA (2 times) and have had him with me in hundreds of Motel Rooms and B&B facilities across our wonderful country. Many of my trips with him have been "Upland Bird Hunting Trips", others have been vacation trips, and 3 trips have been for "Reunions" up to 1650 miles one way!

All it takes is the following list of "things", "preparation", "planning", "foresight", "patience" and common sense!...:

All the necessary "things" to care for the dog:.... food, pans, water, pads or blankets for inside the crate, dog first-aid-kit, nail trimmer, lead rope or leash, tie out rope or light chain, and "training aids':... (Electronic Collar, Whistles, Flashlight, I.D. Tags and be sure your dog is current on all vaccinations and is "Micro-Chipped", and if you're in Rattle Snake Country have him innoculated with "Snake Vaccine" and also have him previously "Snake-Broke" by a professional who uses Live (muzzled) Rattle Snakes. A permitted hand-gun possibly would be adviseable in Snake Country down near the Boarder

On all these trips my Smart Phone, Lap Top, and My Dog are indispensable. Happy travels.
It won't let me rep you again (too soon I guess) so I'll just say that this post is spot on. I've taken my dog/s on many road trips (not to mention the horses and cats) so it takes planning. We even had a Siamese cat who was the first one in the car, who walked on a leash and did his business when the dogs did theirs and was a wonderful traveler. That was before we caught on to the crates. The whole crowd rode in the backseat like little troopers. So it can be done.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:05 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

I know it could be done, but we don't want to. Aside from that, our last dog was a Brittany also. Aren't they just the best? I still grieve for her.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:34 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,236 times
I have three cats (two talking Siamese and one Foster Fail tiger kitty). I was worried about getting other ones after my beloved Toby (19) and Clarissa (17) passed two years ago. But I threw caution to the wind. I also volunteer at the local SPCA in the kitten nursery and foster kittens as needed. Talk about getting one's kitten fix!

I don't feel any different than I did 25 years ago, so caring for three cats hasn't been an issue so far. But I am aware of my mortality, so sometimes ponder what will happen to the kitties IF.... ugh... horrible thought. Best to live one day at a time and relish each day.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:23 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
I love animals but I am done owning or caring for one.

Our beautiful dog we put down 7 years ago was our last and now we want our freedom of mobility... to come and go when we want without having to worry about an animal.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:17 PM

149 posts, read 186,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
We put down our last peke in 2007, when we were 60...it wasn't more than 2 months later we
felt the house was too empty and got another peke...Do you want a pet as you are aging or do
you not want the responsibilities of one?

My husband and I adopted a sweet Cavalier King Charles spaniel last year. We are 60/70 and this will definately be our last animal. It takes a lot of time and energy...I forgot how much. He is a dear companion but will be my/our last.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:46 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
We are going to meet a 10 week old scottie puppy on Saturday. It has been almost 4 years since our shelties passed. We are all settled in our Asheville home now, and ready for some puppy love.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:02 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
PLEASE consider adopting from a shelter or rescue; thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of abandoned pets are put down every day in this country for lack of good homes. Don't support breeders; ugh!

Yes, you can get a puppy, and even a puppy Scottie. Search my breed and age. If not near you, volunteers will likely transport it.

www.petfinder.com

SAVE A LIFE (actually two, as it makes room for one more); DON'T "SHOP," ADOPT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement