Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:12 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times

Advertisements

We put down our last peke in 2007, when we were 60...it wasn't more than 2 months later we
felt the house was too empty and got another peke...Do you want a pet as you are aging or do
you not want the responsibilities of one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 12:18 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
We put down our last peke in 2007, when we were 60...it wasn't more than 2 months later we
felt the house was too empty and got another peke...Do you want a pet as you are aging or do
In the past I have had cats and dogs.

When I divorced many years ago I realized cats were much easier to maintain (I worked full time) as they use boxes and if you leave plenty of water and dried food, they can do well for several hours.

And so my answer to you is yes, I do want a pet. Recently needed to put down my wonderful cat due to her terminal illness but adopted another a few days later.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:34 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
NO! And what is funny is that I currently have 7 dogs and almost 20 cats.

They are here because they were throw away strays, left behind by neighbors, or unwanted by relatives. The cats are mostly feral that I am spaying and neutering. Down to my last female feral!!

I can see the end in sight. Really happy. No more stray sickly cats in my yard. Of course I still feed and offer shelter in cold weather - heated houses too.

It is a lot of responsibility and expense. I guess that is why they end up unwanted.

But I do want to have more money left over to invest in my co-housing operation.

I will be taking in stray old ladies instead of stray old cats and dogs! LOL

Old 07-05-2015, 12:37 PM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
I've had 5 wonderful dogs but at this point I don't really want another.

I'd like to get a kitty or 2 but I think they'd outlive me and don't know any cat people to trust them to. Plus the expense.

I'll just keep going to the shelter for my kitty fix.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Once upon a time I actually made it to pet free. I promised myself I was going to stay there for a year. It was nice to have no responsibilities. No litter boxes to clean, no vet visits, no poop to pick up. No pet food to buy. I never had to hurry home to let Fido out. I didn't have to pick up hair all the time. I actually had some clothes that weren't covered with pet hair.

When that year was over I couldn't wait to get another pet. I just like them more than I dislike the work and expense of caring for them. I will most likely have a pet till I drop dead. I currently have 2 senior GSP's and a younger Weim. These will probably be my last 'big' dogs. I will move down to medium size dogs in the future.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:55 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I have had cats most of my life. My husband is a dog person so we adopted an adorable rescue Pomeranian. He lived four years with us and we both fell apart when he finally died, age 14.

The very next day a new rescue Pomeranian came into our lives. My husband probably loves the dog more than he loves me; they are velcro companions. DH's doctor told him long ago that it was dog walking that kept him healthy.

However, when this one goes, due to our ages, the next pet kid will probably be a cat. Dogs are a lot of work and if anything happened to DH I don't think I would be able to keep up with it.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:19 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times
I have never been without something, since my earliest memories on the farm. I can't imagine life without some living/breathing thing to touch noses with

I have recently laid my 27 & 29 year old horses to rest.

When my 20 & 21 year olds go on, that will be it for horses.

I expect to always have a big dog but, at this point in life, I will rescue an older dog unless a dog gets dumped on my road and I'll take whatever it is.

All my cats are rescues. Currently three at the barn, two in the house and I'm holding my breath nobody new shows up

The strong alpha cat at the barn weighs 17 lbs on the vet scales, and he is really good at sending critters of all kinds skiddaddling. He's not fat, he's huge. His brother is in the house and equally as big; he has a pin in his hip so I relegated him to the house early in his life

Old 07-05-2015, 01:22 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,848 times
We had two cats and everything was fine. We feed some feral cats and had them neutered. They one go sick and we felt so sorry for him so we took her to the vet and he brought her back to life. We couldn't throw her back in the wild so now she is ours. This past winter one of our feral cats"neutered" came into the house because the temps were below 0 and he is so loving that he is part of the family. I never thought I would have four cats. The problem is we can't take a vacation because no one will watch over 4 cats. We love them all.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,519 times
I've had pets in the past--mostly cats. I'm currently glad to be pet-free because I don't miss the mess, the damage to the furniture and finishes, the expense of vet care and boarding, and the too-early awakenings.

I used to worry about Toxoplasma gondii. Now I'm relieved that I'm not exposed to it anymore.

(How Your Cat Is Making You Crazy - The Atlantic)

Old 07-05-2015, 01:42 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
I've had cats and dogs for the past 33 years (only had dogs when I was a kid because my mother hated cats). I have four cats now of varying ages, but they're probably all under seven years old. They were all rescues in one way or another, so their ages are approximate. I was actually thinking the other night that it will be really sad when I am down to just one cat. However, the last cat that I just put down 2 months ago was 19, so hopefully it will be a good while before these guys go. I also hope that I'm still living independently at that point so I can take care of them. At age 65, I worry about what would happen to them if I died or was incapacitated, since I have no relatives anywhere near me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement