Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:08 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,016,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
The Grace and Frankie show was on YouTube with tons of commercials (the downside), and appeared to have been posted purposefully by the producers to increase interest in the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
EDIT to add - Netflix does have a history of putting series pilots on YouTube; that isn't pirating, it is marketing.
Just to clarify, I was responding directly to the poster raving about Primewire, not to any comment about watching this particular series on YouTube. YouTube has a long history of protecting copywrited material and removing said content when warranted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 11:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
How did this get to be a political post? OP here, just wanted to share some good entertainment. Not interested in Jane Fonda's past but making note to self... 'another reason to keep away from age restricted communities full of stodgy, pig-headed old codgers'.
Quite as statement in itself I'd say. and quite a insult to veterans who express their view on why they will not watch.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:06 AM

197 posts, read 279,356 times
I binge watched the whole thing. I enjoyed it, although I can't rave about it. It's fairly well-written, but the main charm is the cast. Lily Tomlin is hilarious as Old Hippy, and Jane Fonda's Dignified Older Lady is a good foil. Their chemistry really shines. Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen have enough acting chops to be entertaining with characters that don't go very far.

Craig T. Nelson is really fun as an aging, macho, outdoorsy Bear Grylls type who can barely get up the stairs with his bum knees. His cheerful admission of eating a fallen comrade's leg during his last expedition up the Amazon is worth watching.

It's sort of a one-joke plot - two conservative old lawyers realize they are in love, divorce their wives and live as boyfriends. The husband characters are just reacting to everyone else, so I found them a little dull.

Sort of a old fashioned comedy of manners, updated to the modern with modern themes.

Solid B+ for execution of an underdeveloped idea, I'll watch season 2 to see where it goes.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:19 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Quite as statement in itself I'd say. and quite a insult to veterans who express their view on why they will not watch.
Add this to the 'Things I've Learned From City Data' thread that as some people age they tend to make everything about themselves. My husband is a Vietnam vet. He LOVES Jane Fonda! He'd never let an incident from 40+ years ago dictate what (or what not) he enjoys watching on TV. Now back to the OP, anyone else enjoying the show? Yes, it took me a few episodes to get into it. The acting seemed stiff at first but there were a lot of lines and age considered I think they created a hit. Now anyone insulted by this post?

Old 07-07-2015, 11:27 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
I love all the actors - AND their politics.... particularly Martin Sheen....

But honestly? They are trying too hard. And it shows in their acting.

I will give the following episodes a try - but I'm not hopeful.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:39 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
I enjoyed it only because it features characters my age. It was entertaining, and that's good enough for me. I didn't find it especially praise-worthy or funny. Often I caught myself paying more attention to the houses and clothes than to the characters and plot. That's not a good thing.

IMO, the four majors' performances are all rather shallow, Sheen's especially - I just didn't buy him in the role. Again that's ok, it's a sitcom.
Craig T Nelson was a bright spot and I hope he's a recurring.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:38 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
I watched what I think is only season 1. Ended with one husband going into the house.

I found it worth watching but I have to admit I am not a fan. Certain elements I liked. The scenery at the beach house was gorgeous. I enjoyed watching Jane Fonda. Normally I am a Lily Tomlin fan but there was too much time spent watching her Om or sit about doing weird things. This is the writers fault and not anything to do with Lily Tomlin's performance. I wished her character had more interaction with others and more action in general that wasn't just wandering around in circles doing weird dances.

I did find myself wondering where Dolly Parton is. The Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin characters reminded me of their 9-5 performances.

The men are just OK. It is really hard to buy their romance. The best parts of the relationships between the 4 of them is the ones that they had as normal couples. It seems everyone had gotten something out of that. Lily and hubby were best friends with lots of similarities. Jane and hubby fed each other's egos. The two women don't make sense together. Surely they would have had other friends that were real friends. Both couples are well enough off that those two don't need to live together. The two men don't make sense together either. They haven't developed any aspect of their relationship that explains why they have a relationship. To make this series work they should have shown some amount of liking and respect between the two women prior to this event.

Still enjoyed seeing Jane Fonda do the bar top dance. Surely they could have given Lily Tomlin a better outfit for that scene.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:32 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Has anyone been watching Grace and Frankie, a half-hour, 13 episode series ‘Grace and Frankie’ Gets Season 2 on Netflix | Variety staring 4 actors, all age 75+, Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston? I found it fun. The ladies look great and the story line kept me entertained. I'm 65 and they gave me renewed hope.
Yes! I loved it! Can't wait for next "season." I think it started off a little awkward, then it found its pace, and the actors fell into their roles.

Lily Tomlin is superb! She is always subperb in everything she's in. A unique actor. Have you seen the movie Flirting With Disaster? It's an early Ben Stiller movie. Tomlin plays Alan Alda's wife. They're both hysterical.

Jane Fonda is great in Grace & Frankie, too. How does she stay in shape like that? She has the body of a 25 year old! But she's a really good actress and underrated, IMO.

The guys are secondary, but they're good, of course.

Good writing, good acting. Loved it!

Old 07-07-2015, 05:54 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
I would watch it if only to watch the wonderful Lily Tomlin.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:08 PM

720 posts, read 765,836 times
I actually saw her as Nancy Reagan in a movie the other day, it was called, Lee Daniels' The Butler. Great film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement