Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:10 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
You can fork out $80 a month for Direct TV and can't afford $9 a month for Netflix?

We gave up Direct TV a couple years ago. We have Netflix, Hulu Plus, and about 1000 channels through my Roku, including Smithsonian, PBS, A&E, History Channel, etc. When my Direct TV bill hit $80 a month with no premium channels like HBO etc., I said enough is enough.

I watched the Grace and Frankie series. Lily Tomlin was the best out of all four. I could have done without the men kissing scenes, but, hey, it's life.

Jane Fonda actually apologized for Hanoi Jane in, I think, the AARP publication not too long ago.
Absolutely, she is inspired. I think it's awesome that she was chosen for the role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 07:23 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,897 times
DW and I watched the whole season over a week or so period. I agree with mic111 assessment to the tee. I will add that the writing got better and the actors more comfortable with their roles as the season went along. Jane obviously had a hand in selecting scenes where she wants to show off how limber and shapely she is for her age. The scene where she unhooks the elastic that is pulling her face up was a hoot!!! Scary and revealing at the same time. I Thought her makeup in the bar dance scene was awful, and I'm a guy!!! Lily looks great for her age. The adopted brothers add a lot to the mix. What will happen with the yam lube????

Old 07-07-2015, 07:33 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,804 times
The show is very entertaining but I find myself cringing when Sheen and Waterston kiss.
They are REALLY straight guys and it seems a bit implausible, ... like watching Liberace playing Joe Montana in a football flick!

But I do enjoy the subtle (and not so subtle) ways a truly unexpected event can have on spouses and family.
As long as it stays 'fresh' and with good plot twists I'll keep watching.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:47 PM

508 posts, read 663,409 times
I watched the first couple of episodes. I felt no connection to any of the characters. Particularly the gay men who waited until so late in life to tell their wives they'd been cheating on them for 40 years. I'd feel the same way if the men had been cheating on their wives with other women. It makes no difference that they were gay. Cheating is cheating.

Seriously, those are some self-absorbed people living clueless lives.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:52 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Absolutely, she is inspired. I think it's awesome that she was chosen for the role.
Tomlin's a producer of the series (as is Fonda) so they were the choosers, not the chosen.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
I watched the first couple of episodes. I felt no connection to any of the characters. Particularly the gay men who waited until so late in life to tell their wives they'd been cheating on them for 40 years. I'd feel the same way if the men had been cheating on their wives with other women. It makes no difference that they were gay. Cheating is cheating.
This is a complaint that has been voiced by many. The show glosses over the cheating aspect. I tend to agree and this colors my perception of the series.
I had the same reaction to the movies Brokeback Mountain and Bridges Over Madison County. I didn't see either as a grand love story, rather they were both homages to cheating.
If Grace and Frankie was about two heterosexual lovers carrying on an decades-long affair under the noses of their spouses, it'd be a sordid story. That it was a gay affair makes it no less (or more) sordid.

Grace and Robert especially didn't have a marriage worth celebrating. But they had a contract and being a lawyer, he should have honored that agreement instead of violating it for 20+ years.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:04 AM

Not only that, both the women strike me as fruitcakes. At opposite ends of the spectrum, perhaps, but still fruitcakes. Neither of them seem to have any sense of balance.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
Not only that, both the women strike me as fruitcakes. At opposite ends of the spectrum, perhaps, but still fruitcakes. Neither of them seem to have any sense of balance.
The same could be said of Robert and Sol.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The same could be said of Robert and Sol.
I wouldn't know. They really didn't get much air time in the couple of episodes I waded through. I already didn't like them on general freakin'-40-year-cheater principals.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:17 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Tomlin's a producer of the series (as is Fonda) so they were the choosers, not the chosen.
Sort of, but not exactly. What I read was that Netflix reached out to several older actors/actresses and were willing to give production control up to get big names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement