Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 01:16 PM

920 posts, read 931,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I didn't read all of your posts. One doesn't have to to comment on a forum. Nice try being snarky in a reputation.

You could also die tomorrow and this is a mute point. Social Security has changed the various rules or the years. What is true today may not be true next year. In my lifetime, my own Social Security benefits and retirement age have changed several times and I highly doubt I'm done with the changes. I am a few years younger than you. The point is don't count on it being there period.

You want real answers to your specific questions, contact a financial planner. They give you the details you're looking for. You won't find everything on an online forum. Financial planners don't tend to sit here all day and give advice away for free.
If you had read the posts besides being snarky here, or inserting your snarky accusation, it would have answered your questions. But true, you are not required to read posts before replying. It's just courtesy.

No one said financial planners sit here all day and answer questions for free? but a retirement forum is for discussing those topics so I have utilized this.

The part I can agree with....is that SS has changed it's rules over the years. Good reminder.

I'd be happy if just one of us could draw our own social security. But that remains to be seen what will

be of Social Security in 20 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
Outdoorsygal you seem to be getting your fur ruffled here and I can offer this: when you ask something on a public forum with all kinds of people on it, you don't get to regulate what they ask you. You can regulate what you disclose to a degree, but people's questions (nosey or not) and assumptions are part of the hazard you take when you choose this avenue inquire.
It's not about regulating answers or ruffled feathers. Or downer faces. Let's stick to the OP

Rabbit trails are fine, I've done them many times myself all too often. I really need to work on that, by the way~
But making me, the OP re-answer the same questions over and over that have nothing to do with my orignal question then to boot, when a criminal imagination is at work making false accusations, it doesn't help. Asking questions is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Whether I can refuse to accept my own Social Security or can my husband do so was the question. It is the OP. It seems in all of this... it was answered once. And that is what I believed. There is some good tidbits here we can all use. I will continue to research but to ask on City Data forums can result in even getting links to the correct info if someone knows it offhand. Never hurts to try

Old 07-09-2015, 03:59 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
I am missing the logic. But you working more hours will not result in your combined SS being less so take the hours.

It sounds like you do not want more than 1875. No matter what you do it will probably be more due to inflation. Also the program maybe changed so you do not qualify for as much as you are projecting.

Also inflation could cut your 1875 in half by the time you are ready to retire.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Your question is, "Can I when I retire, draw on my husband's account (the largest payout to you) instead of mine.

Answer is YES, you can draw on which ever is the highest payout to you.

In fact: If you retire prior to your husband retires drawing on your own social security, you can change to drawing on his (the higher amount) when he retires.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
I guess no one knows the answer to whether a person can flat out refuse to apply for social security their whole life.

Or whether it affects Medicare for that person who refuses Social Security....which I believe it doesn't considering that person followed their rules applying for medicare within the expected time-frame
Umm, I guess you could have called the Social Security Administration directly instead of getting huffy with people taking time to try to help you.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:18 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Gawd bless these spousal schemes...er, strategies.

The SSA had better jettison these "enhanced benefits" for those who didn't earn them, before they reduce (or eliminate) the benefits of ONE PERSON who's collecting based on his or her own work record.

It's this type of garbaghe that's burdening the system.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:42 PM

426 posts, read 505,881 times
Quote:
I cannot remember the formula now

But to ensure $1875 per month is the outcome, I believe I'd be filing at age 62, right when I can file

He'd be filing at age 70

But whenever or however we work it out to keep it about this number, I am just trying to get that down so we do not go over.
Look, right now you are both young. You have no idea what the future will bring- to you, to him, to your state or your county or whatever entity is going to give you some sort of entitlement to some sort of benefit. Your goal now should be to increase your wages and prepare for the future.

This post is so ridiculous, I am not going to waste more time on it.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:17 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Quote:
I guess no one knows the answer to whether a person can flat out refuse to apply for social security their whole life.

Or whether it affects Medicare for that person who refuses Social Security....which I believe it doesn't considering that person followed their rules applying for medicare within the expected time-frame
Gal, it is my understanding that the SS Administration deducts for Medicare from your SS check (read it here on C-D). I do not have a clue - nor was there any discussion - about your prospective circumstance.

If you file and suspend, you may be able to reap a cash windfall by taking the delayed retirement credits in cash, in contrast to electing a higher payment going forward.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:29 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
If one applies for Medicare before receiving Social Security retirement benefits, then one is simply billed (quarterly, I believe) for the Medicare Part B premium.

Or, if the Medicare Part B premium exceeds the retirement benefit, then the retirement benefit is suspended and one is billed for the difference. I know because that happened to me.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I am missing the logic. But you working more hours will not result in your combined SS being less so take the hours.

It sounds like you do not want more than 1875. No matter what you do it will probably be more due to inflation. Also the program maybe changed so you do not qualify for as much as you are projecting.

Also inflation could cut your 1875 in half by the time you are ready to retire.
I could've used inflation dollars but that really doesn't change anything as eligibility for ihss also reflects inflation. I could've chose either result when the numbers came back

You can save till the cows come home and the money still might not cover your medical bills. It blew me away doing hospice how quickly the medical bills add up. What really shocked me how many people have planned with LTC Insurance and it doesn't cover much. Decades ago, that was not the case. Hence why so many don't buy LTC insurance anymore and why now, IHSS often works hand in hand with LTC insurance. of course IHSS is no cure all, as many get just under 20 hrs a week or less but it still helps. No need to re-arrange a lifestyle but if it can fit in, surely add it as a back up.

All we can do is plan our best for anything and everything that could possibly occur imho.

If we didn't get any Social Security at all, we could get by ok. Especially if we moved to Louden Tennessee where it is doable to actually live off of welfare. Medium house is just $124 thousand, medium rent is $504!! I think I'll sign up then sit on city data all day making up stories about others planning to become disabled so they can get IHSS Services lol

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 07-10-2015 at 01:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement