Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 12:23 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,527,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
I guess no one knows the answer to whether a person can flat out refuse to apply for social security their whole life.
Technically, you can. There's no requirement within SS itself that mandates you to apply for and receive benefits.
In the real world, it's doubtful you would be eligible for benefits from any other source (such as IHSS) if you refuse to apply for the SS benefits to which you are entitled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 12:24 PM

920 posts, read 931,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yes you can but its not going to increase your benefit overall. Even filing later has make up which can reduce it overall. Part A Medicare is automatic at 65 whether a person worked or not and others parts offered with penalty for waiting. Other assistance is offered but with wealth qualifications beyond income based. Those also have possible recovery at death from estate.The government has many actuaries figure risk and benefit of every offering as it effect taxpayers. they also have definite fraud definitions and ignorance is no excuse as mistaken defense.
Exactly thank you for that accurate info

It's called the Medicaid Estate Recovery Act. Unfortunately Obamacare will cause many to loose their only assets, their homes after their deaths (usually, that's the timing). It doesn't apply to IHSS in our State. This means you can use IHSS services without risking your kin loosing their inheritance, their parents homes.

Some States have put laws into effect already to prevent the this law from grabbing homes/estates when people follow the law and sign up for Medicaid due to obamacare. Of course many have no use for it since they are not ill or are younger, so just pay out of pocket when they get a cold. It's a sad sinereo.

Our Governor brown vetoed the bill. The new Obamacare law really screws some people who will NEVER even see a doctor as the bills between the ages of 55-65 mount whether you use it or not. Then your home is kapoof~ they've grabbed it after your death from your kin though there are very narrow exceptions. Not many exceptions but a few

Old 07-09-2015, 12:26 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Part A Medicare is automatic at 65 whether a person worked or not....
That's not necessarily true. First of all, Part A is not automatic if you don't qualify for Social Security benefits. A person in that situation needs to apply for Part A, he or she isn't automatically enrolled.

Secondly, although non-working spouses do automatically qualify for Medicare Part A, there are others who have to pay a premium for Part A if they don't have 40 quarters of coverage. If they choose not to pay the premium, they're not covered by Part A.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Technically, you can. There's no requirement within SS itself that mandates you to apply for and receive benefits.
In the real world, it's doubtful you would be eligible for benefits from any other source (such as IHSS) if you refuse to apply for the SS benefits to which you are entitled.
That is a law which they may enact in the future, but for now, you are eligible for IHSS benefits if you are otherwise eligible anyhow. They don't make you sign up for Social Security, they just record your sources of income

Old 07-09-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's not necessarily true. First of all, Part A is not automatic if you don't qualify for Social Security benefits. A person in that situation needs to apply for Part A, he or she isn't automatically enrolled.

Secondly, although non-working spouses do automatically qualify for Medicare Part A, there are others who have to pay a premium for Part A if they don't have 40 quarters of coverage. If they choose not to pay the premium, they're not covered by Part A.
But to the best of their ability, they make those who do not qualify to get it free, they make them pay out of pocket for part a eh?

Old 07-09-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
There are gift limitations. If you gift it to your son during your lifetime, you will have to stay within those annual gift guidelines or be taxed on it, as will your son.
Correct
Quote:
If you leave it as part of your estate, it will be subject to recovery by the government.
Again, the use of IHSS in California doesn't result in your estate being grabbed by the government. Stop pushing lies, you've been corrected already. The use of MEDICAID as a health insurance policy does. LTC can. We call this program Medi-Cal here in California. It is a health program/policy for those whose income is within what the government has deemed "poverty level"
Quote:
IHSS is for those truly in poverty, not those who give away their money so that they can use taxpayer money for insurance they could have bought for themselves.
IHSS is for whomever qualifies. This is YOUR OWN wording. No one whom has given away money to their kin or anyone else earlier in life is excluded from IHSS except if that money is substantial and has been gifted within 5 years of applying for this service. And even then, you may qualify but only after a disqualification period.
Quote:
IHSS is Taxpayer funded. Taxpayer money is MY money. I don't give a hoot if you lay your own eggs. If you hide assets or attempt to "work the system" you are ripping ME and the other taxpayers off.
And Social Security is MY MONEY going to YOU someday. So get off your high horse, we're all paying into the various kitties in some way or another. You have little credibility anymore, even after being corrected multiple times. And your crazy criminal imagination, take it somewhere else. Actually don't, instead try to obey the law instead. This is my thread. Stop your drama and false accusations. Your hoodlum mindset is getting annoying.

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 07-09-2015 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 12:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Why are you wondering about something that may not even exist in the 20 years you have left to work? Man, you're rushing life right by you. Go start some investment accounts or save. Don't plan on relying on Social Security. You'll end up sorely disappointed.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why are you wondering about something that may not even exist in the 20 years you have left to work? Man, you're rushing life right by you. Go start some investment accounts or save. Don't plan on relying on Social Security. You'll end up sorely disappointed.
I think you've missed reading many posts, this is incorrect. I have no plan to rely on Social Security and have not stated such. After doing hospice 3 times in the last 2 years and dealing with helping with finances, you do tend to start becoming alert of the issues. We cannot fully predict about SS or whether I would be "sorely disappointed" We can only plan and hope for the best

Old 07-09-2015, 01:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
I think you've missed reading many posts, this is incorrect. I have no plan to rely on Social Security and have not stated such. After doing hospice 3 times in the last 2 years and dealing with helping with finances, you do tend to start becoming alert of the issues. We cannot predict about SS or whether I would be "sorely disappointed" We can only plan and hope for the best

I didn't read all of your posts. One doesn't have to to comment on a forum. Nice try being snarky in a reputation.

You could also die tomorrow and this is a mute point. Social Security has changed the various rules or the years. What is true today may not be true next year. In my lifetime, my own Social Security benefits and retirement age have changed several times and I highly doubt I'm done with the changes. I am a few years younger than you. The point is don't count on it being there period.

You want real answers to your specific questions, contact a financial planner. They give you the details you're looking for. You won't find everything on an online forum. Financial planners don't tend to sit here all day and give advice away for free.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:13 PM

720 posts, read 765,677 times
Quote:
Again, I didn't say we weren't going to buy a LTC policies. You keep assuming such.

A LTC policy is NOT a cure all.

As my FIL explained when he was well, he's worked as a IHSS Worker for decades and had to examine and utlizie Long Term Care Policies for years concerning his clients. They go hand in hand sometimes. Work hand in hand sometimes, did you know that?
But overall, LTC policies are not generally what they are cracked up to be. The loopholes mean at the time you need them, they are AWOL.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

And whether I live at poverty level being in a happy state or unhappy state, this is not your business. Nor is it my question.
But I'll entertain you...

When you have solar power, grow your own food, make your own shampoo, soaps, get eggs from chickens and cycle most everywhere you go (yes we have two cars) you are much healthier and happier. Material items aren't as important to you as you derive pleasure from just life itself.

Living at poverty level is VERY EASY when you hardly have any bills. It's not about how much you make, it's about disposable income.
I have enough thank you. So keep your over-generalizations to yourself
Outdoorsygal you seem to be getting your fur ruffled here and I can offer this: when you ask something on a public forum with all kinds of people on it, you don't get to regulate what they ask you. You can regulate what you disclose to a degree, but people's questions (nosey or not) and assumptions are part of the hazard you take when you choose this avenue inquire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement