Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:49 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

My former next door neighbor had been taking care of his wife full time for 3 years in their home. They were both in their 80's. He ended up having to place her in a Skilled Nursing Facility. Every day he went to feed her breakfast, spend the day with her, have both lunch and dinner with her. After a year of her living in the SNF their only daughter retired and moved back home to help her dad. She never married so had no obligations. They then took turns taking care of her. The dad would go in the morning and the daughter would come after lunch. That went on for another couple years until after 6 years of care my neighbors wife died. Six months later he followed her.

Another close friend has been caring for his wife for the past five years. The sad part is his wife helped care for her own mother who died of Alzheimer's. She now has it and they have four daughters that I can bet wonder if that is what will happen to them. I am friends with all of them and read their posts on Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 12:59 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
However, it is going to get easier as she's leaving me in September so I'll only have myself to worry about.
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:06 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
It's been hard work but doable and I'm not in tip-top shape and health myself anymore. However, it is going to get easier as she's leaving me in September so I'll only have myself to worry about.
My heart goes out to you.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Who'd thunk it?

It's without question that I thought I'd be the one to be "taken care of" when the brain cells go bye-bye. However, of the many married couples I know who've retired.... more husbands are takin' care of their wives.... and a few wives of their wives, have passed away. I'm not properly prepared.

What should I expect?
If you end caring for spouse with dementia, you should expect some damn hard work and very little help.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:10 PM

One thing that people can do is get their housing situated. One story, handicap accessible, grab bars... Get rid of all the paraphernalia and pare your life down to what you need and use.

Nearly everyone hangs on way too long to lifestyles they can't manage.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I don't think on average that is true Op and has been thru time. M en have always on average died younger and gotten the illness that eventual kill them at younger age. However has women join the work force the difference has shrunk. I'd say certain females are much more prepared for such thing than men even if that has changed some what .But the other family also make a great difference in my experience.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
One thing that people can do is get their housing situated. One story, handicap accessible, grab bars... Get rid of all the paraphernalia and pare your life down to what you need and use.

This is certainly true for my parents and to some extent - with me, as well. I am younger than my husband but have had to face that his impairments are the determining factor in my lifestyle at this point.

Might as well face it and deal with it sooner than later.

I can't believe how much harder it is physically for me to move boxes and pack up stuff at this stage than even 5 years ago and I am not at full retirement age as of yet.

Of course, ideally, someone can be hired to do much of the heavy lifting and handyman projects or renovations that need to be done to make a home more handicap-accessible.

But many of us will find that we need to downsize and move to a different location, so might as well start sorting and making plans even if the expected need is several years down the road. It has taken me much much longer to downsize and renovate than I ever anticipated.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:

^^^

Old 07-10-2015, 04:08 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
Quote:
However, it is going to get easier as she's leaving me in September so I'll only have myself to worry about.
Very sorry to hear this - my prayers are with you.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:14 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:

I'm getting out now - I can feel that I'm tiring of being a slave to a house. I'm my own worse enemy - I create work - always something that could look better and that project grows and grows.

I do wonder if I'll get bored with just a small abode with a small yard? Nope...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement