Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We have 2 residences, one is a 2000 sq ft home the other is a 1250 sq ft single level condo. We have 2 vehicles at each place. We spend 5 months at the condo and 7 months at the base home. We travel on the road back and forth AZ-MN each year. We're both way way past the 70's age and don't plan to slow down yet.
similar here. In each place the main house is rented and we stay in the guest home. (TX and WA) We fly (~$100 doesn't buy much gas)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 01:36 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
For whoever repped me and asked what my preferred Wyoming retirement site is - I have not given that much thought, my intent is to stay in eastern WA unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

My point was that if I were to head towards Colorado, I would go to Wyoming instead.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:12 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I think a lot of Coloradans have the same thought!

Old 07-18-2015, 06:56 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I want an adventure in living and don't know if there's a long-term rental (with dog(s)) that could accommodate my daydream.
On Craigslist-Colorado there are dozens of rentals in every area that accept dogs.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:59 PM

Not in the town I want, especially in summer. I did contact one four-plex that has been for sale forever, and it's full of long-term leases.
Wow, I keep swinging from "forget about it" to buying for the helluva it to I don't know what. And no need (or possibility) to make a real move (like buying the building lot) until January. I should stop doing my legwork so far in advance!

Old 07-20-2015, 07:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Husband and I have 2 homes...one in DFW TX --area where we have lived for over 30 years.
House we bought in 08 thinking our adult kids would have kids and come visit...that hasn't really happened. House is really too big for just 2people with few visitors...we rarely go upstairs. But when 2 kids plus spouses and 1 grandchild come it is nice to have the room.

We also bought home in FL 3 yrs ago when our daughter was pregnant and my husband was nearing retirement. I retired in 04. Wouldn't be here except my daughter and SIL just weren't going to travel to TX for holidays after the baby came. Our house here is nxt door to our daughter's. Smaller than TX house--1 story ranch 2000 sq ft w/small pool. We got good deal. We have our grandson spend night quite often and have room for guest bedroom and office for my husband. This neighborhood allows fences--some don't because the HOA does all outside maintenance. We have dog who travels with us that needs a fenced yard...and we also have a cat we bring back and forth. They are both pretty good in the car---but the dog gets meds.

We normally spend 6-8 weeks in each home but this summer we have been in FL since May, leave mid August...long to be away. We drive normally and don't keep car in FL. Spend night outside Mobile--too long trip on us and pets for 1 long 22 hr drive.

We have resources to maintain two,properties so we are lucky in that regard. Husband is xcellent driver--another plus cause could not make our pets fly. When they are gone (cat is 16 yrs; dog almost 12) we might start just flying.

Drawback--we are not very outgoing people. Have made no friends in FL but there are so many kookie people in our neighborhood (based on postings/rants on neighborhood web site) I don't think we want to try. And there are no good Mexican food restaurants in our FL area.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:52 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Question for those with two homes: are you sure one is insured while you're in the other?

Because I just learned, to my dismay, that if a property sits empty (that is, with no one living in it full-time; house-sitters and the like don't count) for more than 30 days, in most cases, you can forget about having any claims for fire or theft honored by the agency. In some cases, claims for vandalism.

This came a total shock to me; I figured if I was paying premiums, I had coverage. Not so!

Read the fine print or ask your agent; I would wager that MOST people with a vacation or second home -- or even trying to sell one while living in another -- or with a rental home that is vacant while between tenants -- have no clue about this. I certainly didn't.

And I have yet to hear it mentioned on "Beachfront Bargain Hunters."

Old 07-22-2015, 12:53 PM

Old 07-22-2015, 02:11 PM

Wow, I had no idea. That's terrible.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:23 PM

I thought so! I have two houses; one on the market, and one waiting for me to move into it when that one sells. No more; stuck a tenant in there (for better or worse). Told my agent I had no idea; he said, "Read the fine print."

As for vacation homes, I guess you can also keep those rented out or, I hear, buy a really expensive rider for a mostly vacant home. But it'll cost you! The "bargain hunters" need to figure that in to the overall expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement