Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:45 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,690,007 times

Advertisements

eok - I'm sorry your educational experiences have not been productive. I love going to lectures and talking to the people there about the subject matter. Perhaps you would do better in a seminar type of instruction setting.
At 50 I went back to school and got my MBA and I still take an occasional class either for professional development or (gasp!) just because the subject matter interests me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 03:27 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,075,642 times
In my 40s I went back to college in pursuit of a degree in fine arts and absolutely loved this area of study which was so refreshing after spending so much of my life in the study of science and working in healthcare. Unfortunately this endeavor got to be very costly and I had to drop out, but hope in retirement to pick back up in at a institution that offers no fee/no credit fine arts courses for seniors.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:30 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,638,792 times
Back in my mid 30s i thought of going back to school but i met a gal a bit younger than me and we got married, had kids and that kind of derailed that idea. Of course, she went back to school while i kept the bills paid and has since decided I am much too old and don't make enough $ for her.. go figure. Anyway, another story for another day.

My two friends are on opposite ends of the spectrum. The one that is going back for a nursing degree wants to change fields to make more money. The one that is going to Law school is actually retired already (Military officer).

The thought of going back to school is really not an option for me because I still have 3 kiddos yet to go to college so any extra cash i have will be spent on getting them higher educated.. Hopefully i will still be able to retire relatively soon afterwards.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:17 AM

34,902 posts, read 31,006,838 times
My dad did this right at age 50. He was getting laid off from a factory and a local community college was offering a free software development program for a corporation that was relocating to the area. He went through the program, and while he did get a job, it was a lower paying job than he previously he had. He turns 58 in a month and is still there, although he did get a considerable raise that puts him back where he was before the factory layoff.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,640 posts, read 57,683,287 times
I returned at age 50 (golden parachute at 49 included free college).

I really enjoyed it (weekend masters program)

But the profs and delivery was pretty poor compared to 30 yrs ago.

For the most part, financial gain is driving EDU to the pits.
Current students have a lot of 'stars' in their eyes, and very little to add to discussions. (They all want to be the next 'Facebook' / IPO that makes them an overnight sensation.). Current students are really pretty boring. They have grown up with their only social interaction being their phones and games. They have not had a lot of jobs, thus little work / experience, and even less desire / capacity to share information. (sorry about sounding biased... there are some terrific and intelligent younger people, (as well as a couple decent profs) but they are getting fewer and harder to find).

Old 07-14-2015, 11:17 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,489,756 times
I entered grad school at age 50. I immensely enjoyed the experience and career-wise it proved to be an excellent move.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:36 PM

720 posts, read 763,555 times
biscuitmom, what did you study?

Old 07-14-2015, 06:25 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,489,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
biscuitmom, what did you study?
My grad degree, obtained at age 53, is a Master of Library Science.

My undergrad degree, obtained at age 42, was a BS in education.
Decades earlier, in my 20s, I obtained 22 undergrad credit hours in math and statistics.

At no time in any of my classes was I ever the oldest person in the classroom!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:26 AM

16,148 posts, read 10,293,441 times
I think there are 2 trains of thoughts here: education for self improvement and education for a 2nd career. The opening poster is clearly talking about the later, you don't go to law school just to exercise your brain.

I had a co-worker who decided in his late 40's to go to school to get some sort of Human Resources certificate. He was told by the school recruiters people re-invent themselves in mid-career all the time. 3 years later he still didn't find a job because people who hire are looking for young people or those with experience in the field for obvious reasons.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:56 AM

126 posts, read 161,419 times
I take a lot of free, non credit courses to keep current in the things I'm interested in on line at different MOOC's:
Coursera
Canvas Network
MIT Open Courseware

And the local college (George Mason U) has OLI, which is a low cost way.

I take what I what, keep learning new, interesting things, and it's low cost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement