Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,084,087 times

Advertisements

I'm 30 now but tell myself when I retire for good in my 60s I'll be traving and enjoying life. My 70s I'll prob slow down some more but I still see it as a young age in terms of doing adventurous things. It's when I turn 80 I say I'm just gonna sit around the house, do diddly squat and play video games all day lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 08:50 AM

698 posts, read 1,047,692 times
i'll be 72 in a few days, and i don't feel significantly different than when i was 55 or so. i am as active as i've ever been, although i stay physically active around the house , as need be- up and down stairs, gardening/weeds as necessary, minimal housework, dragging cat litter bags and boxes for changing up and down steps, grocery shopping, laundry, etc. i was never athletic and don't do anything more along those lines than i feel is a bare minimum- usually walking, but not even that on a regular basis.

i will be starting my fifth year as an instructor for u.de life long learning this sept.- one day a week. i facilitate a writing critique group once a month, and am involved with lunch discussion group once a month. i usually read 1- 2 books a month depending on what's interesting. i go out with friends for lunch/dinner a couple of times a month, and see old friends from my former home town 4-5 times a year- here or there. i am with the sig. other several times a week- we were at the beach yesterday and out to dinner on the river, as an early b'day celebration. i've been involved with music most of my life, and am considering auditioning for a madrigal group this fall.

i have had diabetes for 21 years and, fortunately, it has, so far, been well controlled. that is about my only serious health issue. aside from the diabetes diet considerations, i can eat generally what i want. i'm fortunate that weight has never been an issue. am i delighted with all aspects of my life? no- but i hope i have and can maintain sense enough to know i'm a fortunate person.

catsy girl

Old 07-17-2015, 02:11 PM

496 posts, read 549,876 times
One thing I've noticed is that groups of men and women - white ones, anyway - over 70 look a lot alike. From a distance, they appear to be about the same height, build, and general coloring. I suppose it's simply that we tall ones shrink, everyone's facial muscles droop, everyone's build gets a little settled around the middle, and hair either vanishes entirely, or the women stop bothering to color theirs.

This is only significant if you need people to be able to tell you from other people your age :-)

Old 07-17-2015, 03:45 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,835,434 times
I am 71 and my life is not very much different than it was at 61 except that I gave up motorcycling, not because I had to but because it wasn't the same thrill any more ("been there, done that" feeling) and I wanted to quit at the top of my game (I rode professionally).

I still make long solo road trips in my car, I still fly places commercially, I was just re-elected president of our 26-unit townhouse homeowners association (which involves dealing with complex problems and issues), and I still teach chess classes every summer to third through eighth graders in an enrichment summer school (my last paid gig). In addition, in mid-August I will resume volunteering in a local school district three days a week (keeping my Mondays and Fridays free).

At some unknown point I will probably have to cut back, but for sure 71 is way too early to throw in the towel and vegetate in front of the TV. Use it or lose it - whether mental acuity or physical strength and stamina. Plus meaningful social engagement has been shown to enhance well-being.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:50 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,442,766 times
We should talk about life after 80. Although I knew a few people who died in their 50s and 60s--mostly from smoking or other toxic exposure.

A friend who is 74 and dates an 80+ man says he has finally had to give up tennis due to arthritis in his wrists. Neither of them look their age. And there is nothing unusual about people in their 70s getting ipods and ipads.

A cousin will be turning 81 and she exhibits her artwork in libraries in her area and even sells a few. You may slow down a bit in your 70s but for most people I don't think it's a big deal. It's more like the 80s that I'm worried about.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,472,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
I'm 30 now but tell myself when I retire for good in my 60s I'll be traving and enjoying life. My 70s I'll prob slow down some more but I still see it as a young age in terms of doing adventurous things. It's when I turn 100 I say I'm just gonna sit around the house, do diddly squat and play video games all day lol.
fixed it for you

Thirty and planning ahead. Good for you! In 30 years living to 120 will be normal. Today being 85 is what being 65 was like in1980.

The key at you age is good habits and staying fit. Bad habits and being lazy is what kills 60 year olds in my generation. I am 65. I ski, bike and hike. People look at me and I never get the senior discount! I am ok with that.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:51 PM

231 posts, read 235,438 times
seems everyone has a positive outlook and no worries,great news

Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,472,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon1 View Post
seems everyone has a positive outlook and no worries,great news
positive outlook. Keep that thought. Keep active and be social!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement