U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:03 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,676,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Hendersonville is my hometown and I can tell you it does get humid in the summertime. And, I don't know where those average daily temps came from but 45 degrees in the winter is a warm day.
Those temperatures are the normal monthly highs recorded by the National Weather Service (NWS) for the Asheville Regional Airport located between Hendersonville & Asheville.

National Weather Service - http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=gsp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 03:39 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,960,936 times
But they are the averages - meaning it can be hotter than those temps.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
But they are the averages - meaning it can be hotter than those temps.
Hotter and colder in equal proportions, but not "normal".

In probability theory and statistics, a median is a number dividing the higher half of a sample, a population, or a probability distribution from the lower half. The median of a finite list of numbers can be found by arranging all the observations from lowest value to highest value and picking the middle one.

Last edited by mm34b; 03-27-2007 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-27-2007, 04:00 PM

474 posts, read 2,025,881 times
The weather in Henderson County is going to vary according to the elevation. So it is difficult to say what is average. In the winter, you can have dense fog, ice, snow etc. just "up the hill" from my house, when I have just mist down here near the City. We get "valley mist" which is what you see in the beautiful photos with the "clouds" just hanging there looking pretty.

But, they will close the schools depending on what is going on in the higher elevations, not in the lower ones. Used to be the kids had to walk down the mountain to a main road to get the school bus. Now the little cherubs are picked up at every post and rail.

It can be very dangerous on an icy mountain road, no doubt about it ... if you've ever looked over the edge.

At the higher elevations you may not use your a/c as much at night because it is cooler. In the lower elevations, you will use it on most summer nights.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:54 AM

243 posts, read 810,934 times
Talking Moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Boomer View Post
I understand the humidity issue-- it can be a deal killer if you're used to years of dry dry dry. Green = rain = humidity. Everything is a trade off in one way or another.

tucsoncitydweller, you might want to look at New Mexico: Silver City and Las Cruces come to mind, and Albuquerque has the most wonderful summers. If you don't need big city services, look at Walla Walla, Washington; population around 30,000; the area is on the upswing as Washington's wine country, at the confluence of 3 rivers; still affordable and no state income tax.

Heaton, Springfield, MO is as you think it is. I spent several weeks there during early summer a few years ago and liked it, though it was growing like crazy at the time. And it's close enough to Branson for entertainment. The humidity might get to you, though, in the summertime.

You might also look at Springfield/Eugene, Oregon. Beautiful, green, cooler than the southeast states. Salem, OR is also a possibility that might fit your list of wants. Also look at Charleston, South Carolina and Tallahassee, Florida.

Have you guys looked at the Carson Valley area in Northern Nevada? Or, a bit more obscure (and not so green), are the smallish but thoroughly pleasant cities of Redding, Red Bluff and Chico in northern California. Worth a look see, anyway...
Oh! don't even think about Albuquerque! It is the sister city of Tucson but Tucson is much prettier. Also Albuquerque has very high crime. Gangs are bad. We are out of here by June after 38 years in Albuquerque. Just can't take the brown desert and high crime here. Can't wait to leave!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 06:18 AM

16 posts, read 64,721 times
Smile Where to retire,etc.

My husband and I live in one of the most expensive cities in Southern California but we found a mobile home park with land ownership. The city is San Clemente where the average home price is almost a million dollars. Our home prices with land run from $325,000 to about $450,000, some with ocean and/or golf course views. We are a mile from the ocean and have one of the best climates in the world. My husband is originally from NY and he would never go back. Being retired, we can stay off the freeways during rush hours and we don't get caught up in the Southern California lifestyle of trying to live like millionaires. Many times going out for dinner involves taking sandwiches and a bottle of wine to the beach and watching the sunset. Since we don't have a real winter we can do this most of the year. It's the end of March and yesterday we spent a beautiful day at Santa Anita race track with many of our neighbors. The temps were in the 70s and the cost was only $37/person including the bus, admission and a turkey lunch. Yes we are a retirement community with some really old people but the majority of us are still very active. My husband is serving as a director on the homeowners association, just bought a wet suit so he can spend more days catching waves on his boogie board and is putting finishing touches on our red '64 Thunderbird convertible. By the way, he is 71. We do ballroom dancing and I'm so busy on committees and volunteer work that sometimes there aren't enough hours in the day but we always find time to sit out at the Dana Point marina for coffee and a bagel. If you want to find out more info on our park type in Shorecliffs Terrace on Yahoo. Google won't pull it up. Hope your retirement is as good as ours.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:18 PM

239 posts, read 1,186,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarJ View Post
My husband and I live in one of the most expensive cities in Southern California but we found a mobile home park with land ownership. The city is San Clemente where the average home price is almost a million dollars. Our home prices with land run from $325,000 to about $450,000, some with ocean and/or golf course views. We are a mile from the ocean and have one of the best climates in the world. My husband is originally from NY and he would never go back. ....
Small world. I used to live not very far from you, off Camino de Los Mares and Camino Del Rio in the Flora Vista subdivision. Used to drive by Shorecliffs all the time and my husband practiced almost daily at Shorecliffs Golf Course and sometimes played it.

I can attest to the fact that it is a very nice area and yes, you can avoid the freeways pretty much most of the time, by using side streets. You'll want to do that too; traffic jams there are constant and long enduring! The community, for SoCal (I'm not a fan) is very nice and the restaurants are wonderful (we loved going to Sonny's even though the location left a little to be desired). The weather is nice... you get enough fog to keep things reasonably cool in the otherwise hot summers. That's what I liked. I'm not a fan of hot, dry weather, and that's why we left San Clemente and moved to Oregon, but if you like that kind of weather, and want to live in Orange County or SoCal, it's hard to beat San Clemente.

We bought our home there in mid-'97, just before the market took off. We got in cheap and sold high in '04. Couldn't believe our luck. It was, after all, just a cookie-cutter house, large and beautiful, but cookie-cutter just the same. We were pleasantly amazed at what buyers were willing to dish over for it.

Oregon real estate is a lot less pricey. We now have a home right along the ocean, which is what my husband and I have always dreamed of owning. We could never have afforded ocean-front in SoCal.

Here along the Southern Coast of Oregon there are numerous mobile home parks too, and you can get in for less than half of what you pay in SoCal. But then again, you will not have the warm weather all the time (the summers here are beautiful, 80s to 90s, sunny and nice most of the time with the occasional foggy days; and even in the winter we often have days where the temps get into the mid-60s or low 70s). There is no traffic here, but there are no malls either, and the restaurants... well, let's just say we cook at home mostly these days.

It sounds as though you and your husband are living a great life and enjoying every moment of it, with good health, and lots of social and socially-conscious activities. That's wonderful!

We are pretty much in the same situation here, where my ever active and athletic husband (63) has discovered fly fishing. He still plays golf, but mostly when he returns to OC on the occasional business trip (semi-retired now). I volunteer at the local shelter and enjoy my numerous hobbies and my beloved pets. We used to kayak off of Capistrano Beach in Dana Point; now we kayak around here when the ocean is calm, and see so much marine life and seldom any boats and never other kayakers. Beaches here are considered 'crowded' when you have more than four people within a mile of each other! And that's during the tourist-summer months!

Life is good!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:30 PM

16 posts, read 64,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyu View Post
Small world. I used to live not very far from you, off Camino de Los Mares and Camino Del Rio in the Flora Vista subdivision. Used to drive by Shorecliffs all the time and my husband practiced almost daily at Shorecliffs Golf Course and sometimes played it.

I can attest to the fact that it is a very nice area and yes, you can avoid the freeways pretty much most of the time, by using side streets. You'll want to do that too; traffic jams there are constant and long enduring! The community, for SoCal (I'm not a fan) is very nice and the restaurants are wonderful (we loved going to Sonny's even though the location left a little to be desired). The weather is nice... you get enough fog to keep things reasonably cool in the otherwise hot summers. That's what I liked. I'm not a fan of hot, dry weather, and that's why we left San Clemente and moved to Oregon, but if you like that kind of weather, and want to live in Orange County or SoCal, it's hard to beat San Clemente.

We bought our home there in mid-'97, just before the market took off. We got in cheap and sold high in '04. Couldn't believe our luck. It was, after all, just a cookie-cutter house, large and beautiful, but cookie-cutter just the same. We were pleasantly amazed at what buyers were willing to dish over for it.

Oregon real estate is a lot less pricey. We now have a home right along the ocean, which is what my husband and I have always dreamed of owning. We could never have afforded ocean-front in SoCal.

Here along the Southern Coast of Oregon there are numerous mobile home parks too, and you can get in for less than half of what you pay in SoCal. But then again, you will not have the warm weather all the time (the summers here are beautiful, 80s to 90s, sunny and nice most of the time with the occasional foggy days; and even in the winter we often have days where the temps get into the mid-60s or low 70s). There is no traffic here, but there are no malls either, and the restaurants... well, let's just say we cook at home mostly these days.

It sounds as though you and your husband are living a great life and enjoying every moment of it, with good health, and lots of social and socially-conscious activities. That's wonderful!

We are pretty much in the same situation here, where my ever active and athletic husband (63) has discovered fly fishing. He still plays golf, but mostly when he returns to OC on the occasional business trip (semi-retired now). I volunteer at the local shelter and enjoy my numerous hobbies and my beloved pets. We used to kayak off of Capistrano Beach in Dana Point; now we kayak around here when the ocean is calm, and see so much marine life and seldom any boats and never other kayakers. Beaches here are considered 'crowded' when you have more than four people within a mile of each other! And that's during the tourist-summer months!

Life is good!
Sounds like we have both found our Paradise on earth. We lived in Wrightwood (San Gabriel Mtns-Mountain High Skiing, Ski Sunrise,etc.) and that was a different kind of Paradise but we moved to be closer to good medical facilities, the malls, restaurants, no winters. We used to camp at Doheney and San Clemente and often drove down on a Friday night, had dinner on the pier, then stayed over in a motel. We always loved the beach but it was too pricey for us. Finding Shorecliffs Terrace was a blessing for us. We don't have to worry about rent increases because we are a resident owned park. Many of the homes in the park have been remodeled, some with garages. When first time visitors come to our home they can't believe they're in a mobile home. More Californians probably could have what we have if they could get over the idea that mobile home means "trailer trash". Many of the people coming into our park have sold a California home for $700k -800k and bought one of our mobiles for half the cost, banking $300k or more. Your place sounds ideallic and you probably want to keep its location secret or you'll have all the unhappy Californians rushing there and driving up real estate prices. If you ever come down this way, come visit our little piece of Paradise.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:04 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,421,303 times
Have lived in Oklahoma. Summers are unbearably hot. 100+ in the shade.

We invested in a second home in NC, and happened to spend the latter part of last summer there. While I've always had a problem with high humidity in New England, I was surprised to find that was not the case in NC. Don't quite know why, but I had an easy time of it.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:51 AM

Well, at least Maine is not number 1 anymore. They're only the 2nd highest now.

TAX BURDEN

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...ndliest/8.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or