U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:51 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,465,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosk View Post
I wouldn't worry about humidity "anywhere" if you're moving from Phoenix!!!!! That is the most humid area I have ever been in~~~~~.
You are kidding, right? Most people think of Arizona and Phoenix. Are you possibly thinking of Phoenix, IL, NY, or OR where the humidity is higher than in the desert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 12:29 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,692,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
You are kidding, right? Most people think of Arizona and Phoenix. Are you possibly thinking of Phoenix, IL, NY, or OR where the humidity is higher than in the desert?
It's my understanding that the yearly average humidity for Phoenix, AZ is 28%.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:43 PM

942 posts, read 1,069,229 times
When anyone finds one, that is not the high end cost ones, and is diverse enough for everyone without being so New age and Bohemian like parts of Oregon, let me know. Not Asheville thank you.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:09 PM

Another "Best Places" list published in the New York Times on May 5th.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...phic_large.jpg

Old 05-07-2007, 09:08 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,253,659 times
Ah another list. Thanks for the list mm34b. Boy that thing is hard to read. it looks like faded ink on a newspaper.

Sometimes I do look at these lists from one place or another. I noticed they have Ashland Oregon on there. The thing about that is that Ashland is pretty high price for most retired people. Another thing about these lists is they often include very large cities.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Ah another list. Thanks for the list mm34b. Boy that thing is hard to read. it looks like faded ink on a newspaper.

Sometimes I do look at these lists from one place or another. I noticed they have Ashland Oregon on there. The thing about that is that Ashland is pretty high price for most retired people. Another thing about these lists is they often include very large cities.
Yep, these lists are interesting, but like anything else, it's only someone opinion based on their own vision of what's important. Don't know why the graphic is so poor on your monitor. It's clear on mine. I'm using 1920x1200 pixels with 32-bit color settings.

Here's the text of the Times article - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/re...te&oref=slogin

Old 05-08-2007, 04:52 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,927,671 times
As I was heading to Northampton, MA, my daughter called on the cell, and told me the town had made the best list for retirees. My answer, "oh boy, now it will be even more expensive."

While it is an area I love, it was never inexpensive, and folks often have 2 or more jobs to get by. So why do cities/towns get picked--I wonder? As I rounded one of a dozen curves on rte 9 just out of town, I stopped for petrol. A woman came up to the car, and asked me what I wanted. It appears this station pumps for you: the woman pumping was or nearly is a retiree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Another "Best Places" list published in the New York Times on May 5th.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...phic_large.jpg

Old 05-08-2007, 07:07 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,943,998 times
I have a friend who moved from Phoenix to N. AL last year and he said the humitity doesn't bother him as much as he thought it might. You might want to check into areas around Huntsville, AL. There are a LOT of jobs and they are expecting more within the next few years due to BRAC. I live 20 miles from Huntsville in a small town with great schools and little crime or illegals. Huntsville is 20 minutes away and you are 15 minutes to a 65,000 acre lake. You can find a really nice house for less than 150k, a new bigger house with big lot for less than 200K. Most houses are on at least 1/2 acre. Property taxes are very LOW and utilities are reasonable.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM

11 posts, read 13,388 times
Since there haven't been any posts to this one since before the housing crash of 2008, how do you forum members think the affordable areas have or haven't changed?

Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,858,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
As I was heading to Northampton, MA, my daughter called on the cell, and told me the town had made the best list for retirees. My answer, "oh boy, now it will be even more expensive."

While it is an area I love, it was never inexpensive, and folks often have 2 or more jobs to get by. So why do cities/towns get picked--I wonder? As I rounded one of a dozen curves on rte 9 just out of town, I stopped for petrol. A woman came up to the car, and asked me what I wanted. It appears this station pumps for you: the woman pumping was or nearly is a retiree!

Interesting list. There are so many of these lists that say this place or another is best. All of it is subjective and what one person feels as the best place will not be what another feels.

Being from MA myself I can relate to the story. However I have a feeling that inspite of how nice it is to live up here it will not become a haven for blue hairs .

Okay before anyone gets upset, it is a joke and I am beginning to resemble that remark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or