Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you use Facebook and how? Can choose more than one reply
No 27 23.28%
Rarely 20 17.24%
Frequently 33 28.45%
Small list of friends (people you know well, probably under 75) 48 41.38%
Large list of friends 21 18.10%
Accept requests from nearly anyone whose name I recognize 8 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:10 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times

Advertisements

I looked at the privacy settings and thought I was setting them as high as I could, but I got my DD to look at it from her account (we're not friends) and she could see the birthday and I think everything that was appearing on my page from my SIL's posts on her page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 08:21 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I looked at the privacy settings and thought I was setting them as high as I could, but I got my DD to look at it from her account (we're not friends) and she could see the birthday and I think everything that was appearing on my page from my SIL's posts on her page.
FB does NOT make it easy to make your birthday private. Here's how you do it. I copied Facebook's instrutctions but added steps they left out:
Quote:
  1. Go to your profile and click Update Info on your cover photo
  2. Scroll down to the About section (in the left margin).
  3. Click Contact and Basic Info (in the center panel)
  4. Scroll down and click Edit next to Birth Date or Birth Year (you'll need to hover over the info you want to edit for the Edit option to appear)
  5. Look at the dropdown menu to the right of your birthdate to see the 2 little "Friends" icons - one by the month/day, one by the year.
  6. Click on each of the 2 "Friends" icons and choose the "Only Me" option.
  7. Click Save Changes
You can change who can see your birthday by adjusting the audience. There are 2 audience selectors next to your birthday: one for the day and month and one for the year. Friends won't get a notification about your upcoming birthday if you don't share the day and month with them.
I not only made my birthday private, I used a fake date because birthdates are key to identity theft and I don't even want Facebook admin to be able to see mine.
If you want to put a fake date, you can do so by following the directions above and on Step 4, you'll also be able to change the date/year.
If a non-government website requires me to enter a birthdate, I always use January 1, 1950 because it's within a couple of years of my real birthday and it's easy to remember.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:57 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
According to FB, I am 102 yrs old. You can put in WHATEVER date you want as your Birthday...LOL

Old 07-23-2015, 10:54 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
According to FB, I am 102 yrs old. You can put in WHATEVER date you want as your Birthday...LOL
Love it!

You know those reward/membership card places that give you a free meal or somesuch on your birthday? Some, like my favorite steak house, require a DL/ID to sign up while others don't. So I put my real birthday when required and the fake 01-01-50 when not. I get a bevy of free meal offers twice a year, I don't have to try to use them all up at the same time!

Old 07-24-2015, 04:37 PM

720 posts, read 766,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
True. I'm 38 (NOT!)

Old 07-24-2015, 11:45 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If a non-government website requires me to enter a birthdate, I always use January 1, 1950 because it's within a couple of years of my real birthday and it's easy to remember.
Thanks! I am now the same age as you! LOL

Old 07-27-2015, 01:16 PM

40 posts, read 34,485 times
Don't know how many FB friends I have on my "real" account. Probably 100 or so. Family, friends and acquaintances. While I don't reach out to many people, I'll accept requests that are sent to me if I have known the person. (I still chuckle when I get friend request from people who thought I was invisible in high school!) I do have a couple of groups that I belong to that center around cruising - get good tips and insight from them on future travels, just like a number of other message boards.

I have a separate FB account under an assumed name that I use to play games. I used to play a lot, and now just hang on to a few. But most FB games require you to have hundreds if not thousands of "friends" to play effectively, plus make numerous posts on your page that I wanted to spare my family and friends from. So thus the separate account, where I think I have roughly 3,000 "friends". There are actually a small handful that I've gotten to know pretty well, and would consider casual friends. But most are just a click on a page for me.

I liken that last group to AOL, where I used to play trivia games with a core group of people for years. Many of us ultimately met on several occasions for vacation, and one of whom is still a very close friend today.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:04 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Deleted my FB account several years ago, (what a huge pain that was!). Main reason is that Farmville became a massive time-sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement