Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:20 AM

483 posts, read 664,900 times

Advertisements

As a former Catholic altar boy...(no, I didn't have any of "those" experiences)...who left the church at an early age, I can somewhat understand where atheists and agnostics are coming from. I, too, became disillusioned with the dogma and rituals of the Catholic church. (It should be noted that I have nothing against Catholics...most of my family remains tied to the Catholic church and I can appreciate their desire to do so).

Having said that, I had not attended a church of any kind for over 50 years (except for the occasional wedding or funeral). Then, a couple years ago, I found a non-denominational church that I decided to attend one Sunday at the invitation of one of my oldest friends. I begrudgingly attended, only when he told me they had free coffee and donuts. What I found there was a welcoming, casual atmosphere with contemporary music, fellowship and a pastor who was able to relate the writings of the Bible to everyday events going on today. He didn't simply stand up there and bury his nose in the Bible and read. He also had a great sense of humor (I have a tendency to like to be entertained at church).

Atheists can believe (or more appropriately, NOT believe) anything they want. I'm not here to try to convert anyone or change any minds. The only thing I will say is that, especially now that I'm retired, I prefer to believe that I have something bigger and better to look forward to after this life. I'm not sure what atheists have to look forward to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 07:25 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,361,812 times
My friend and her husband raised their children without god. Every Sunday morning they sat their three kids down and talked about their week, how they could be better people the next week, what they could do to help mankind, etc. Now my friend is fighting cancer and her two grown daughters who are in medical school have halted their studies to lovingly care for their mom.

I was never religious. I'm spiritual. I get my answers without church. Nothing has changed, retired or not.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:40 AM

18,702 posts, read 33,355,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
As a former Catholic altar boy...(no, I didn't have any of "those" experiences)...who left the church at an early age, I can somewhat understand where atheists and agnostics are coming from. I, too, became disillusioned with the dogma and rituals of the Catholic church.
May I gently suggest that this poster doesn't understand atheism or agnostics *at all*. Many of us seem to have been born that way. Many people haven't become disillusioned, especially with the Catholic institution- but we were never "illusioned."

Now, many posters have said they are believers in god but don't attend organized religion- that would make sense for some form of disillusionment, assuming they had learned their god belief in organized religion and become disillusioned with the structure, but not that belief.

Two Mormons came to my door and I said, as I always do, "I know you mean well but I'm firmly atheist and that's not going to change." So of course they asked next, "What disillusioned you from religion?" And I said I never had been illusioned or raised in any religion and I simply called it the way I see it. I described my efforts to live an ethical life with people, to try and ease suffering and prevent damage, to love the planet and all its beings (although I do find people by far the least lovable) and one of them said, "You have… a really GOOD life." Still tried to give me one of the bibles but, oh, the print was so small.

A Jehovah came by in 2001 and said, "After 9/11, don't you want some comfort?" I responded, "No. I just want to know what is going on. If you could convince me that Satan is running the world, I wouldn't like it but at least I'd know what's going on."

I have no idea what happens after death. Actually, I don't much care one way or the other.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,904,108 times
I was baptized into a conservative Lutheran denomination. I faithfully attended Church, and in my mid thirties, decided that being a pastor is how I wanted to serve God. But I also wanted to answer questions like, How do I know I can believe what is in the Bible? How can I know that what our church teaches is correct and true according to the Bible?. So we went and I have served the rest of the most of my years as an ordained Lutheran pastor. In the process of my studies I found that there are many good reasons to believe the Bible, and found what is the truth about what the Bible teaches. As Jesus said, Seek and You WILL find. I found, and as I have gotten older I have become even more appreciative of what God has done for me. ITs even more of a comfort as I get closer to my time on earth, and the judgment that follows.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:45 AM

35,045 posts, read 31,233,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I'd also feel like a hypocrite if I suddenly "found religion" as I near - slowly, of course - the end of my life.
IMO, this is important as it could easily be seen as "buying insurance right before an impending disaster." Do other people feel this way?

Old 07-29-2015, 08:50 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,697,180 times
If you're adopting a religion based on the promises its myths make regarding what happens upon death, then I agree it seems blatantly opportunistic beyond the bounds of which I suspect most if not all religions consider sincerity. If you're adopting a religion that doesn't rely on myths but instead helps adherents develop a spiritually mature perspective toward both life and death, then I don't see anything hypocritical about that.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:59 AM

18,702 posts, read 33,355,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
IMO, this is important as it could easily be seen as "buying insurance right before an impending disaster." Do other people feel this way?
Isn't that called "Pascal's Wager" in the philosophy world? And wouldn't god know enough to know you were just hedging your bets?

Old 07-29-2015, 09:08 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,858,195 times
Quote:
I am not nor have I ever been a very religious person. I do believe in a "God" but don't subscribe to any particular dogmas.

One thing I've noticed with the retirees I know is that many seem to become increasingly religious and introspective as time passes and they realize they don't have too much time left in this world. I think some were simply too busy with work, raising children, and day to day responsibilities to honestly give religion much thought, and now have more time to attend services, etc.

Did you find yourself become more interested in religion in your old age/retirement? Why or why not?
When you are able to finally retire you have more time to reflect on issues. I had an intensely religious upbringing and although I never abandoned what I was taught completely I did not walk the straight and narrow as closely as I should have. Hormones play a big part in your behavior in your younger years and when you are in your Senior years those impulses are not as distracting. TV commercials for ED cures are the big temptation for many of us elderly guys now LOL.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,795,623 times
Quote:
Emperor Constantine pretty much started the Catholic Church by decree, but waited until he was on his death bed before asking Bishop Eusebius to baptize him. After founding the church, he still had some murder left to do before being absolved of his sins. Pretty sweet deal...
I think most Christian churches in the US are largely social clubs these days with weekly self improvement lessons that are heavily attended and widely ignored.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 AM

7,033 posts, read 6,282,940 times

I believed since I was a young girl & although I have been disillusioned by some pastors &/or church folk, I never quit believing. I've found one good church since I moved here where I felt sincerely welcomed & I might start going there. I've seen a lot of hypocrites but also a lot of good, caring people in my search for fellowship. I do get turned off when one religion says they are the only ones who will be saved & I still also have questions, but I think that's healthy & keeps me interested in learning & studying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement