Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:59 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Did anyone else's mom make kool aid popsicles in their ice cube trays?
Yup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 02:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Just wondering, does everyone have AC now? Today I have nature's AC. Cool breezes blowing through my apartment. Feels wonderful after a hot, humid spell. Except for a brief time when I had a window air conditioner in the bedroom I shared with my sister as a kid, my aunt gave it to us because she bought it and discovered she didn't like AC, I never had it.

Yes, we mad cool-aid Popsicles in ice cube trays when we were kids. And lemonade ones too. So good!

Old 08-05-2015, 04:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Just wondering, does everyone have AC now? Today I have nature's AC. Cool breezes blowing through my apartment. Feels wonderful after a hot, humid spell. Except for a brief time when I had a window air conditioner in the bedroom I shared with my sister as a kid, my aunt gave it to us because she bought it and discovered she didn't like AC, I never had it.

You haven't been through August quite yet.

When I was in Lakewood, June and July were pretty pleasant except for an invasion of insects on the lake. August was the worst month, perhaps the ONLY bad month.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:46 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times
I'm off work today and at home. Living in the dry Southwest, I have evaporative ("swamp") coolers which use much less electricity and are less expensive than refrigerated air conditioning. But once it gets into the mid 90's the coolers don't work as well as can only cool 10-20 degrees lower. It is 95 degrees and my house is about 78 degrees but will cool down later tonight. My next home will have refrigerated air.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:04 PM

14 posts, read 12,372 times
To this day, summer is my least favorite season because I remember being so sweltering hot when I was younger and not being able to escape it. I also remember lying awake at night listening to the fans being unable to sleep because it was too hot. Air conditioning is one of my favorite inventions!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:11 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
As kids in Florida we would come in the house hot and sweaty from playing outdoors and open the freezer compartment in the fridge to cool off. It was heavenly up till the moment our parents discovered what we were doing.

As an adult I've never had AC in my house but having lived in Colorado for the past 50 years humidity is not an issue which makes all the difference to me. I spend hot summer days on my north-facing covered porch watching birds and reading. A ceiling fan keeps me cool out there, and I sleep with a small fan on at night. I do have a whole-house attic fan but if I leave it on all night I will wake up freezing!

Revisiting Florida some years back made me wonder how I ever lived in that heat and humidity but I was a kid then and didn't really know anything different at the time.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:44 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Those big porches on old houses is where you slept in the summer.
We slept outside in the backyard quite a bit and took advantage of any shade we could find during the day.

As someone mentioned above, thank goodness for the old swamp coolers.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:19 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
We sweat like everyone else did. The only reasons that I didn't hate August was because I didn't have to go to school, and we went on a week long vacation every year.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You haven't been through August quite yet.

When I was in Lakewood, June and July were pretty pleasant except for an invasion of insects on the lake. August was the worst month, perhaps the ONLY bad month.
I know that August always heats up. It was hot here in August last year. It's usually the hottest month in any city that gets hot summers. So far it hasn't been too bad though. Chicago Augusts are killers. If I were still living in Portland, I would definitely have bought an window air conditioner last year. They have had triple digits and in the 90's for the last two years beginning in June.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I know that August always heats up. It was hot here in August last year. It's usually the hottest month in any city that gets hot summers. So far it hasn't been too bad though. Chicago Augusts are killers. If I were still living in Portland, I would definitely have bought an window air conditioner last year. They have had triple digits and in the 90's for the last two years beginning in June.

One more thing. If you look at Lake Erie about the end of January, you can generally make a judgment on how the summer will be. If it is all iced up, the summer will be moderate.

If you move to Lakewood, you will see the major differences between the seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement