Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Senior survey on longevity wishes: 14-day poll
I want to live to 90–100 and I have the $ resources to take care of myself 39 37.14%
I want to live to 90–100 even though I may not have the $ resources to take care of myself 4 3.81%
I don't want to live beyond 90 no matter what 14 13.33%
I don't want to live beyond 80–85 no matter what 17 16.19%
I've lived a full life; any time to 80 is honestly sufficient; I'm good with that 14 13.33%
Don't care when I check out 17 16.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

I had a conversation with some friends my age about how long they'd like to live, ideally, assuming decent health. So...assuming decent health, what is your longevity wish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 07:07 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
I want to outlive my mother (who is 92) but once she is gone, I'm ready to go. (I'm almost 70). She doesn't need the pain of outliving any of her children.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:13 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Among my friends, I don't want to be the last man standing.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I didn't vote only because I don't know what I want.

Part of me thinks "now" would be OK. Life is pretty boring. No money. Can't do much. No close family relationships other than nephew in VT and nieces in FL. No significant other (and yes, I would like very much to have a good man in my life). It gets mighty lonely sometimes. And not having somebody to talk to about important stuff is tough. Made lots of mistakes. I'm a smart woman but I'll never say I never make mistakes or that I'm always right. Ha!! That would be a lie.

If things were to change, found my soul mate, both of us in good health, have some money by pooling resources, mutual likes and wishes then I would like to live till I'm 100 (him, too).

Despite what I may sound like at times on this forum, I do have a strong hopeful feeling. Like I don't want to leave because it's not over yet. Too much left to do.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:57 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
I set my goal at an early age to live to 100. My goal now is still 100. Life is a crap shoot. Tomorrow I may get run over by a bus.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:51 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Depends on "health" - my MIL is 92 and her doctor defines her as being in relatively good health. On the other hand, she has rheumatoid arthritis in her hands, sores that won't heal on her feet, is very hard of hearing, can't walk very far, doesn't sleep well. I don't want to live to get to that state. Of course, in my family, we don't.

80 or whenever is fine by me.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:41 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I had a conversation with some friends my age about how long they'd like to live, ideally, assuming decent health. So...assuming decent health, what is your longevity wish?
?? There's no easy answer to this question.
My grandmother died at 93, after many years in which she was mentally clear as a bell but physically impaired by Parkinson's. I wouldn't wish that misery on anyone..
Other relatives didn't suffer physically but mentally checked out of life. Not a fate I would choose or wish for those who have to care for me.

If you mean, how long would I want to live without any physical or mental impairment, I'd say certainly not past my late 80s because I couldn't bear the loneliness of missing my peers, my brothers, my sisters-in-law, the friends I've shared life with, not to mention that I have no desire to see my children and their cousins turn 60, 70. I don't at all fear death, so what's the big deal? I'll be 67 this fall, I'm okay with leaving anytime.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:50 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
I chose not beyond 90 no matter what, but actually I think 85 would be a good age to go. Beyond that I will probably become feeble and have trouble "performing the activities of daily living," as they say. But as long as I still have all my marbles and am capable of living independently, I'll stick around.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:27 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
I don't want to live past 85. My 89 year old mom is also very sharp but has been in pain for years. Pain killers make her nauseous or she is worried about taking too large a dose and falling and breaking her hip. Also has atrial fibrillation and many small ailments. Is on at least 20 meds including prescribed supplements. She walks with a walker around her senior apartment and has to use an electric wheelchair to go to the dining hall. Mom would just like to die in her sleep. She was able to drive up until age 85 or so but mostly short trips and it probably was not safe towards the end of her driving. Now we can take her places but she tires out after a couple of hours and is exhausted the rest of the day - goes to bed about 7 pm although I think she reads in bed for an hour or two.

But I have to admit that I visited my dad's 90 year old brother this summer who lives out of state and he had much more stamina and fewer ailments than my mom although he also has to use a walker and was less mobile using it than her. We drove around with him for 8 hours looking at family places and went out for both breakfast and a late dinner. And got together the next day too. My mom would have been in bed for a week after that - much of it is due to her arthritis.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:42 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
forever. i like it here . i know what i am dealing with here . the unknown-not so much . stop - drop-roll may not work where i may end up ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement