Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 12:29 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,647 times

Advertisements

We had some friends move from here in middle Tn. back to Texas and they were trying to talk us into moving back since we are native Texans. We were talking yesterday, and the subject was brought up again about moving back there. I flat told them that I had been through those 100 plus days my whole life, having lived and worked all around the Houston area, and the thought of trading the weather here in Tennessee for what they are having there isn't appealing to me at all in my "golden years." I can even remember in Texas when my kids were younger we fried an egg on the road in front of the house one day it was so hot. I'll gladly take my hat off when my home state is mentioned, but only in the shade here in Tennessee

We miss them, but one or the other of us can always plan a visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 02:36 PM

760 posts, read 768,612 times
It's not the heat that is getting to you it's the humidity level added to the heat. I can be comfortable at 90 degrees is the humidity is low, but when you have days that are 90 degrees and it's 75% humidity and it's like a swamp or sauna outside, you do nothing but sweat.

The heat doesn't bother me, but at work when someone cranks the stupid A/C down and it's less than 73º I need a long sleeved shirt, that cold air blasting down from the ceiling ducts is a lot colder than 73º and to me the room feels "refrigerated" when it's 72º or colder.
I prefer the heat over the cold, when it's cold you have to keep putting on more layers of clothes which is uncomfortable, and then if you do physical work you sweat in all those clothes but freeze if you take them off, then my hands get cold even with gloves.

When it's hot you can always hop in the shower for a quick cool down or use a spritz bottle of cool water, drink cold beverages etc., when it's cold you just stay cold.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:50 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Please let me know what you find. I am searching for the same type of place - with a relatively COL. Thanks!
I would go to Colorado, but am worried about dealing with snow and ice as I get older.
Altitude is probably what we need.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:39 PM

498 posts, read 571,763 times
We have lived on the coast of Florida, Houston, Tennessee River Valley, Pacific Coast, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins (CO), Huntington Beach (CA), and Austin (TX). I can take the heat better than the cold. Huntington Beach was very nice weather wise but WAY too crowded. The heat (Austin) is not as bad as the Houston area. This part of Texas is just dry enough to be somewhat comfortable and yet enough humidity to not dry out skin and eyes (like Colorado). I guess I can take the heat. We definitely have more trees than Lubbock.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:02 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times
Come on out to Washington,no more of those problems

Old 08-08-2015, 11:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I would go to Colorado, but am worried about dealing with snow and ice as I get older.
Altitude is probably what we need.
I rode my bicycle to work everyday but 3, the last yr I lived in Colorado. Snow is NOT and issue for 'retirees' in many areas of Colorado (melted by noon). Ice is really rare in the banana belts of Colorado.

Altitude can become a barrier. @ age 80, my mom had to move 1000 ft lower (to NM) as she could no longer get enough air in Colorado. I have may friends live to age 90+ in Colorado. (still driving mtn roads daily)

Old 08-09-2015, 12:45 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
The entire southwest, from California through Texas, has been more humid than normal so far this year. We so-cal weather wimps are Melting - Simply Melting!!!!!

Thing is, with climate changes this might be the new normal.

It's coming up from Mexico. Imagine how much worse the heat and humidity is down there.

You should come over to Tennessee for a summer day. You think you have humidity there?? We have humidity. Ive heard people from AZ complain about Tennessee humidity, they are used to a 93 day being comfortable. On the other hand I cant understand it when people from the west say 110 is not that hot because it is a dry heat. No 110 is miserable hot, and sticking your head in an oven is a "dry heat" too but not to many of us want to do that. As I said in a previous post its all in what your used too.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:28 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Note to retirees. Humidity maybe bad but signals water is near by, either in the air where rain comes from or a lake or river or clean. Rumor has it water is important for life. Check the water issues in those dry states.

I'm retired living near Dallas, Texas but fortunate enough to have access to a place in NM mountains year around where August highs are mid 70s with mid 40s the daily low, all with low humidity. I consider this ideal as I play golf year around in Texas, by putting up with the summer off season or play in NM when there is summers. Note, winters in the NM mountains is nice too. Most days are scummy without strong wind so even well below freezing is shorts and polo weather for me. I'm rather warm natured but the sun at 9750 above sea level is very nice other than the sunburn in winters you can get.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:30 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
We just relocated to New England from Hotlanta, where were lived for a year and a half. Before that Hawaii. I'm enjoying the cool mornings in July/Aug. We will probably retire here. I love the big green trees, woods, granite outcroppings. Still, check back in mid-winter! But I've lived in the MidSouth for decades and the heat is always a drain. Previously worked on airplanes and that's like being in a parked car in the summer. Very rough.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:35 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
After a year in Miami & a few more in DC with those swamplike summers my plans to relocate in retirement to a tropical locale for adventure & financial reasons have evaporated more quickly than my damp t-shirts. My last trip to Thailand to scout out likely locales finally resolved when 20 minutes in a covered night market in the cool season had me looking like someone had dumped a liter of water over my head. Bye-bye to any tropical retirement fantasies, I'll just visit during the polar vortex season I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement