Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 10:25 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times

Advertisements

I read up about the Pioneer home, as one of the towns I've looked at is Thermopolis. From what I read, I don't think there is a waiting list. They aren't as popular as they used to be and can't even find enough customers to fill up the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 10:54 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Well. It's usually in the 70's here all year round. The disadvantage is the high home prices compared to where you folks live.
If you live in the small area west of the 5, that's usually true. If not, it isn't.

In my time there we reached the 80s and 90s frequently enough to be annoyed by it.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:09 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I lived in Denver for a while and it seemed like every spring when the Chinooks kicked up one or more of the local stations would do a human interest story on the wind. It makes people angry; sort of like how clouds make people depressed - not everyone but definitely a higher incidence.
Yes, it would make me irritable. Like constantly have sand in my clothes or something. zI wouldn't want to go outside. A woman from Laramie told me once that suicide rates would spike during times of higher/longer times of wind. From what your saying seems morel like the murder rate would go up

Old 08-07-2015, 11:29 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Yes, it would make me irritable. Like constantly have sand in my clothes or something. zI wouldn't want to go outside. A woman from Laramie told me once that suicide rates would spike during times of higher/longer times of wind. From what your saying seems morel like the murder rate would go up
IIRC, domestic violence call rate was the stat they usually used in the news reports.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:52 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
WY has EXCELLENT reflectors on the roads for driving in ground blizzards; Blue on Left : Yellow on Right. don't go between 2 reflectors of the same color and you are safe. If you can see 3 reflectors ahead, you can stay at 60mph+ (many yrs of commercial driving in WY)

Many MANY benefits of WY.

Western is pretty sweet (Star Valley) you can jet out of SLC and also enjoy area near Bear Lake and NICE mtns of NE UT.

And... I got a GREAT deal on a LIFETIME (plastic) burial vault in Afton. Dropped by and picked up 'last-yr-model' while toting my dad 2500 mile to bury him! I think he was OK with the color

Very nice folks / business and potentially a PT job.
Polyguard Vaults - Welcome

I will SURELY enjoy my future stay in WY Pioneer Home. it is a fraction of the cost of care centers in many states. Being within the grounds of a state 'hot springs' park will be a nice benefit! You might want to get on the waiting list!

IIRC WY can be pretty stink'n hot in summer (and also get snow in August).

WA state has some 'moderate' temps / wide climate choices and is also income tax free. Many retirees are choosing Sequim (rain shadow, but on the coast of Puget Sound.) Poulsbo is pretty nice if you are 'wash and wear'. Silverdale has some excellent senior / rehab centers.
I am also looking for my 'cool' place after living in south Florida for 40+ years. While working, I had to spend a portion of my time outdoors, all year long. I just can't take the heat & humidity. Often, the low temps in the summer (May-October) don't get below 80° at night, only to rise very quickly in the morning. I recently looked at the Realtor site for houses in Powell, WY. Wow, are they expensive! At least the decent looking ones are out of my budget. I looked into NM, but the state even taxes social security earnings I can't afford California, don't think I can afford WA, OR. I think that the southeast is as humid almost....like Florida. I would love to live in a more arid climate for the rest of my life. I am happy to put more clothes on in order to stay warm, but I am sick of being housebound due to the heat down here for nearly 7 months of the year.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:57 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I am also looking for my 'cool' place after living in south Florida for 40+ years. While working, I had to spend a portion of my time outdoors, all year long. I just can't take the heat & humidity. Often, the low temps in the summer (May-October) don't get below 80° at night, only to rise very quickly in the morning. I recently looked at the Realtor site for houses in Powell, WY. Wow, are they expensive! At least the decent looking ones are out of my budget. I looked into NM, but the state even taxes social security earnings I can't afford California, don't think I can afford WA, OR. I think that the southeast is as humid almost....like Florida. I would love to live in a more arid climate for the rest of my life. I am happy to put more clothes on in order to stay warm, but I am sick of being housebound due to the heat down here for nearly 7 months of the year.
Consider Colorado Springs.

Although we may have a few cold months in the winter, we're dry, sunny, and affordable.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:08 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And when exactly does this happen? Because for the last ten years I've been saying I can't wait to be a little old lady who as to wear a sweater in 90 degree heat and I'm pushing 60.
I'd like to know that too.

I'm 70 and every year the heat plus humidity of our monsoon season is worse for me. It wipes me out. I keep the house at 80 and turn the AC off at night, so I must be acclimated by now, but I sure don't want any sweaters on.
I wonder if being inactive is why some seniors can't tolerate cooler temperatures?
I LOVE it in January here when it's nice and cold, 20's sometimes at night. Unfortunately, most yard work has to be done at this time of year. I can't afford a summer house and a winter house, so I'm trying to figure out where to move to.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:56 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And when exactly does this happen? Because for the last ten years I've been saying I can't wait to be a little old lady who as to wear a sweater in 90 degree heat and I'm pushing 60.

I had heat exhaustion about 20 years ago and now I can't stand it when the temp is over 70, not that I could stand it a whole lot more before that. You'll see me outside when it's 40° with a breeze blowing, wearing short sleeves and loving it. I go into air conditioned stores and start sweating because it's too hot. So now I'm old and I'm still too hot. I went to the doctor because I thought there was something with me. I should have known better. Any time a woman goes into the doctor complaining she's too hot, if she's between the age of 12 and 90, the answer is always the same: hot flashes. Well, then, this particular hot flash has now lasted approximately 20 years. Think I'll get into the book of world records?
My sisters have a friend that is just like you. She is in her late 60s and sweats up a storm even during cool weather.

Hope you live in the far north.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:17 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
We retired to FL for 5 years before moving to New England. It's more than just heat, it's a lifestyle change, especially if you're active. I found myself walking first thing in the a.m. before breakfast and I had to hire out the gardening. Entertaining on the lanai was a winter (and shoulder season) thing. Bike rides at dusk and a lot of mall walking. I'd rather bundle up and walk in the cold than sweat from places I never knew could sweat. Currently we dissappear to Florida for 2 months every winter, just enough to take the chill out of our bones.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:33 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I'd like to know that too.

I'm 70 and every year the heat plus humidity of our monsoon season is worse for me. It wipes me out. I keep the house at 80 and turn the AC off at night, so I must be acclimated by now, but I sure don't want any sweaters on.
I wonder if being inactive is why some seniors can't tolerate cooler temperatures?
I LOVE it in January here when it's nice and cold, 20's sometimes at night. Unfortunately, most yard work has to be done at this time of year. I can't afford a summer house and a winter house, so I'm trying to figure out where to move to.
I don't get it ..you hate the heat but you keep your house at 80?? And turn AC OFF? huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement