Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 05:47 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Advertisements

I'm too old for B.S., no matter who or what is dishing it out on any day. That includes my grown children. I stopped banging my head on the proverbial wall and I don't have a headache anymore!!

I'm too young to give up, to not have hope, to not enjoy the beautiful, simple things in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 08:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I agree 100% !!! When you spend $20,000 or so to get your teeth fixed, the last thing you want is people asking if you have false teeth or you look like a horse. I had to have my teeth capped/repaired due to lots of breakage and cracking but I insisted my cosmetic dentist make my teeth dark as my natural ones. We argued and argued but it's my money. Even now, when I need a new cap, he tends to make it too white and I have to remind him it looks fake. So find a good cosmetic dentist and threaten him! If the teeth are too white, you won't pay.
I notice everyone seems to have the same plastic teeth... no nice pointy fang looks or just a little jumbled. My front teeth have pointier fangs than most and are slightly crowded, but they don't look fake at least. If I'm going to spend money on a dentist (no coverage) its to fix the back teeth which ARE problems.

I've read where when they do these caps they grind down the tooth... which means your chicklets come off you HAVE to get more.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Me too.

The author of this essay meant to provide a positive 'spin' trying to achieve an 180 of the defeatish connotation of the statement "I am too old for ....". She did provide some upbeat ideas. However, as some of the responses in this thread had demonstrated, this phrase still precede statements which do not appear to reflect contentment or serenity less alone optimism or cheerfulness.

Too often, I have heard older folks using this phrase "I am too old for..." in the most negative ways. they are too old to change, to exercise, to improve their diet, to move to more suitable home/location, to learn anything new, to accept changes in the world, to get out of the rut in their life, to forgive, to reconcile etc.

I much rather read an essay on "I am NOT too old for...." or to hear others telling us what they are '"not too old for..." or "they are not old enough to".... like some of the great ideas expressed by Listener2307.
Mine would be I'm too old to be 'normal' But this has nothing with age. I was tired of 'pleasing' people by being like them and doing what they did and aspiring to the same. Never worked, made me unhappy, sometimes we mutually felt boring but maybe if we'd be ourselves we'd be surprised. But when I decided I'd be me, this person I am and if I don't fit in your space its perfectly all right I've felt much better about both people and myself.

I feel like since that I've blossomed as someone who feels secure as me. I think we should all find ourselves and be ourselves and find the people who fit the real us to hang with rather than wanting to fit in the big swirl of icecream.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:51 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
I am too old for office politics and all the assorted bs put about by petty, mean, small-minded people.
Never too old for the things I enjoy and want to do!

Old 08-14-2015, 09:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've had health issues all my life, but it interfered with taking the normal pathway in adulthood. I started my goals late and at a bad time and while I did get to work at what I loved, it wasn't for that long. Tech stuff is mercyless when it comes to 'recent experience' so I never got back in.

For a long time this bothered me. But as I got into the fifties, and then there was a major cave in in life, I decided it was time to quit the worry and the regret. Sure, I can see where mistakes were made, so maybe in my next life I'll have more wisdom and see them in time. But that boat has sailed for this one. And I have *many* things I do which I love doing. I did them then too, art and stitching and crafts have always been something I love, but they were fill ins. My new thought is to find somewhere I can put them together and show them off. Enter something in a street fair, find a group of people with the same dedication. This need to create is something I'll never hit the point I'm too old for it.

And then, there's writing. Yes, I write fanfiction. Some go eek, you can't do that, bad bad bad. Write something origional. But I LIKE writing alternate lives and turns in the stories I'm familiar with and most all the characters are mine too. So I can only post it on a legit fanfiction site? That's fine. I'm not doing it for some official title, just because I enjoy it.

I'd love to write something which was 'official' but I write for enjoyment, not as a 'job'. I know I'm not going to tailor what I write to what's 'in' right now. The rewards I get are just fine.

I decided about a decade ago that before I WAS too old to do it, I wanted to move somewhere new. Seven years ago I did. I'm quite happy. It was the take a chance of my life, but I knew that I needed to leave the baggage behind. It was a very good choice. I am camped out here for the duration.

And this little piece of dirt and (unfortunately) insanely growing grass (this summer/spring) is mine, and while I think about 'companionship', I don't know that its what I'd want. Friends of like minds to see and spend time with, then go home to MY peace sounds better.

So, call me an oldish curmuggeon, and say I'm out of place or anti social or whatever, fine with me. I do visit the fountain of oil of olay and like henna red hair and am delighted its getting longer, and mid/early 60's have a lot of time left (if you go by family). But unlike the time before, this part is mine and I don't feel the need to 'please' anyone.

I only wish I'd learned this fourty years ago.
I loved reading your post! I believe you write because you love it. It shows!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:30 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
I am too old to grow a beard because the damn thing is completely white (has been for the last five or more years) and if I grow one now it makes me look ten or twenty years older. My hair is not anywhere as white as my beard, thank goodness.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:47 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
I'm too old to listen to others never ending complaining or
Negativity.
Gets old fast.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:07 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
nightbird47: You write a very interesting post, thank you. If I had more "guts" I would like to do similar things. I'm a scaredy cat tho.

I moved from NY to TX 20+ years ago and it all went to heck in a hand-basket. Took a big hit financially which adversely affected retirement money. I returned to NY one year later.

I liked what you said about the past forty years..... for me it would be 50+ as I would not have married and would not have had kids.

I admire your attitude!

Last edited by NYgal1542; 08-15-2015 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Added a few words.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:42 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I love and am fascinated by nature and see and feel every nuance of it. I love to see the creatures on my property, see them have their babies, etc. I love harvesting my garden, smelling summer when I open a home canned, can of tomatoes, etc. I love being able to have a fire pit, invite friends over to drink and listen to music and party until 3 or 4 in the morning. Myself, no, I do not want to be around people, even if they have my interests. I don't much like people and they make me terribly nervous. The satisfaction I gain from having and maintaining a large property is nice. I would shrivel up and die if I could not have my hands in the dirt and handle and care for animals.
Maybe there's a compromise? A "companion worker" - a jr. high or high school kid who's interested and could do more of the harder stuff or just enough to make it even more fun for you - Pay them a few dollars, maybe teach them a few things (gardening or work, life in general) and hang out a bit?

Old 08-15-2015, 10:20 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I'm too old to listen to others never ending complaining or
Negativity.
Gets old fast.

Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement