Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 03:45 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times

Advertisements

No regrets. My associates degree and dozen or so creative writing/lit/women's issues/psych courses gave me needed insight. I do regret however not going all the way with Jim. If you're going to regret something, make sure it was a real and true loss leaving a genuine hole in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 04:16 PM

21,543 posts, read 8,724,324 times
I was only "allowed" to go to college, my father told me later, so "you can marry a college boy." And that was if I lived at home, attended the local state college and continued to do all the household tasks I had been responsible for as a teenager such as washing the dishes every night and cleaning the bathroom.

After one year I dropped out because one of those nice college boys wanted to marry me - eventually - after he went back to the East Coast to live with his mother and finish his own degree. Long story short, he enlisted in the Army before graduating because it was the Vietnam era and his college deferment ran out. We broke up, and by this time I was 3,000 miles from home with a full-time job to support myself. There was no possibility of moving back home and resuming college. My parents had bought a smaller house after I left, there were three younger stepsiblings at home, and there was no room for me.

Eventually I did go back part-time and finished an Associate's degree. I also did some upper-division work, but eldercare got in the way so I never finished. Now I'm 66 and retired and could go back to school full-time if I wanted to, but there doesn't seem to be any point in it. Having a degree wouldn't improve my life in any way, though I do regret not having finished. It would be good for my self-esteem.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:09 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Probably one of my biggest regrets is not getting a degree but mainly because it limited my income throughout life and it is something I am now kind of ashamed of. Oddly enough, both of my parents had advanced degrees obtained in the 1940s yet I never finished college. As a young person, my obvious talent was art but the "starving artist" stereotype gave me pause to pursue that seriously. As it turned out, I have a very good head for business but without the degree unless I had been entrepreneurial it would have been hard to succeed. It was a different time when I came of age as one could make an adequate living without the degree and standards of living weren't as high as they are now. Life got in the way too of furthering my education.
OMG, parallel lives! Yeah, sometimes I regret it.......

Old 08-10-2015, 05:17 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
No regrets. My associates degree and dozen or so creative writing/lit/women's issues/psych courses gave me needed insight. I do regret however not going all the way with Jim. If you're going to regret something, make sure it was a real and true loss leaving a genuine hole in your life.
Who's Jim?

Old 08-10-2015, 05:45 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
No degree. No regrets.

Couldn't afford it on my own (I was one of seven children).... work won out.

Learned alot through work (records management) - and have worked in hospitals and government most of my life.

Will retire with more income in retirement than in our working life.

Sounds like success to me.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:57 PM

720 posts, read 765,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I was only "allowed" to go to college, my father told me later, so "you can marry a college boy." And that was if I lived at home, attended the local state college and continued to do all the household tasks I had been responsible for as a teenager such as washing the dishes every night and cleaning the bathroom.

After one year I dropped out because one of those nice college boys wanted to marry me - eventually - after he went back to the East Coast to live with his mother and finish his own degree. Long story short, he enlisted in the Army before graduating because it was the Vietnam era and his college deferment ran out. We broke up, and by this time I was 3,000 miles from home with a full-time job to support myself. There was no possibility of moving back home and resuming college. My parents had bought a smaller house after I left, there were three younger stepsiblings at home, and there was no room for me.

Eventually I did go back part-time and finished an Associate's degree. I also did some upper-division work, but eldercare got in the way so I never finished. Now I'm 66 and retired and could go back to school full-time if I wanted to, but there doesn't seem to be any point in it. Having a degree wouldn't improve my life in any way, though I do regret not having finished. It would be good for my self-esteem.
Seems to me, that's IS the point then.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:23 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
No college degree and no regrets but the 60's and 70's were all a different time and place a time where hard work and dedication was all that was needed to bring success.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:37 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
Not at all. If I would have gone for the degree, I would likely be making less money, working for someone else, and in a "tolerable at best" career. Only time I regretted it was early 20's when other friends were graduating, and my own future was on shakier ground. Now in my early 40's, never give it a second unless someone posts a question like this on City-Data lol. I did probably miss out on some fun social events not going to college though, so there is that.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:08 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
I do regret not having the 'life' as portrayed in tv, movies, etc. But, couldn't have afforded it anyway. Don't know if I would have moved upwards as fast as I did as everyone I worked with took me under their wing & taught me what they knew, except for my last position where it was dog eat dog.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:28 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
But I do sometimes wonder what my life would have been like if I had gone to college.
And I often think what my life would have been like had I not gone to college. Sometimes I wish I had just gotten out of high school and started my own business. It's human nature to wonder about paths not taken in life but it's probably not healthy to dwell on the choices we made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement