Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:18 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,537 times

Advertisements

I would think $40k yearly extra income would be a major boon for anyone. A million may not buy what it used to but it's still a lot of money. Just try to get a million when you only have 50k. It's not easy. Or hasn't been for most people I know. I would buy a small home in Italy, to use as a base for European vacations and let family use to visit. And retire 2 years early . And help a lot of homeless pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 06:35 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
This is a great forum to post this question due to its activity, sage wisdom among posters and the fact that some here who are retired may be on a fixed income.

What would you do if you came upon $1 million in a lump-sum either from an unexpected inheritance or winning the lottery?

Be specific; thanks.
I am already retired and living comfortably so investing for retirement is not my main goal.

Expensive new car. Some top line cruises. Live in a very expensive, full service retirement facility. Hired help for daily living chores (cooking, cleaning, laundry, errands, etc.). Help some family members. Charity donations. A few hundred thousand in a few select Mutual Funds for future use.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:39 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I would think $40k yearly extra income would be a major boon for anyone. A million may not buy what it used to but it's still a lot of money. Just try to get a million when you only have 50k. It's not easy. Or hasn't been for most people I know. I would buy a small home in Italy, to use as a base for European vacations and let family use to visit. And retire 2 years early . And help a lot of homeless pets.
It all depends on what that extra 40k is on top of. In fact considering most ameriicans can't come up with 10k that hypothetical million may be the whole deal.

So my comment was based on just that . While the million is nice it still can fall way short of changing a thing depending on ones cost of living and situation.

I can say in our case another million would change little in our life except for a few more trips a year and possibly more left for heirs.

While a million sounds like a lot if it is going to be used to support you and you have little what that million represents is nothing special in many areas.

Here it represents rent and medical / long term care insurance.

Don't forget if your income is low enough that insurance is all given to you or subsidized. Many get subsidized housing too so that million may bring you nothing you didn't have before only now you get to pay for it.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:57 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
It is an almost awkward amount of money. If you change your lifestyle because of it, you are likely to blow through it. If you don't, it is likely to still be sitting there for your heirs. That's one reason I chose starting or buying a business as my answer; I suspect that one or more of my kids will have a bumpy road in the job market (I started late and they are in high school and college now) and I would rather employ them than just hand them money. If I don't adjust my retirement plans, I don't need it and if I do adjust then it might not last long enough. Better to stay the course for me and use it to help future generations (though I would likely semi-retire sooner than I plan to retire now and work in the business I bought for a few years).

Old 08-13-2015, 07:32 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
I have clearly thought about this a lot

1) Invest $500k
2) With the remaining $500k start a foundation intended to comprehensively improve the lives of companion animals- from providing free in-home training to keep "problem" dogs in their home in order to reduce shelter populations, providing incentives to attract progressive trainers, bring in reputable speakers to speak to children in public schools, rural areas, shelter workers, and the general public, and last but not least, buy a small country property to begin a rescue where senior dogs can live out their lives in comfort.
Context: I live in a state that has an appalling record of animal cruelty, puppy mills, and an enormous amount of public ignorance on what constitutes responsible animal ownership.

It can and will be done. At least #2.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 08-13-2015 at 07:41 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 AM

888 posts, read 889,903 times
Well I suppose those of us who post questions like this should first make sure they have their own answers.

Just catching up with the amazing number of replies representing so many different perspectives and also noting a common one.

To be honest, I don't have a detailed answer to my own question so my short answer, as of now, is that I would keep on doing what I'm currently doing. I wouldn't invest in a business because I already have one and am more focused on an exit strategy. I possible would purchase additional rental properties but then again I'm not sure because I'm at a point in my life where having less "financial clutter" sound appealing.

So it would have to be invested where it would add to the current pot that would then be used to be used in a manner consistent with my current standard of living and wealth exit strategies.

How's that for a detail-lacking answer?

Old 08-13-2015, 09:03 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
It is an almost awkward amount of money. If you change your lifestyle because of it, you are likely to blow through it. If you don't, it is likely to still be sitting there for your heirs. That's one reason I chose starting or buying a business as my answer; I suspect that one or more of my kids will have a bumpy road in the job market (I started late and they are in high school and college now) and I would rather employ them than just hand them money. If I don't adjust my retirement plans, I don't need it and if I do adjust then it might not last long enough. Better to stay the course for me and use it to help future generations (though I would likely semi-retire sooner than I plan to retire now and work in the business I bought for a few years).
I think there are a lot of advantages of owning a business, of course it's not for everyone and having a family run business has it's own set of issues. But, I always think it's cool when one comes across a well run family run business.
I live in a big city and at least here it seems most of the family run places are owned by people that weren't born here. I'm not saying that in a negative way , but immigrants to this country are more entrepreneurial than native born from everything i've read and it seems they are able to see opportunities in a different way.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:06 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Yeah true. I always think it's ridiculous when people say stuff like 'a million" doesn't buy what it used to. Or $100,000 a year salary doesn't go as far as it used to. Yes, of course with inflation,etc that is true..but it's still way way more than most people will ever have.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:19 AM

384 posts, read 507,824 times
If I had a million dollars, I'd buy a fur coat, but not a real fur coat - that's cruel! Or perhaps buy some art - like a Picasso or a Garfunkel.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:29 AM

284 posts, read 362,276 times
Thinking I'd buy a nice lake house to retire to and a new pontoon boat to go with it. I've always wanted to do a Mediterranean cruise, would give about 10k to various animal charities, and then invest the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement