Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 03:13 PM

89 posts, read 110,674 times

Advertisements

My brother, now retired, lost his executive position in 2013, as a Customer Service Director at age 60. He had been with the same employer for 24 years and was not familiar with the complexity and difficulty of finding a job in the 21st Century.

He also read a lot of stories in the news about how the job market was back to normal and there were lots of openings for skills people who wanted to work. He was a strong Obama supporter and told everyone who would listen that the unemployment rate was dropping and close to boom time levels. Right after the layoff he was sure he could find a new high paying career job in a month or less due to the now booming economy.

Did he get an education when he started looking for work!! He hit his head against the wall for almost two years before giving up and retiring. He worked his network- which ended up being worthless and talked to many experts in job hunting, did months of outplacement, did mock interviews, career counseling and had his resume written and revised by countless experts. He was also quite flexible about the type of job he would have accepted. He lived in a community with a strong economy, Minneapolis, and was full of health, vigor and self confidence. All is friends and relatives could not believe he could not find a job.

So... if that would have happened to you in your career field at age 60, do you think you could find another full time job in your old career field at a similar salary to your last job? Do you think my brothers experience not being able to find a job after being laid off at age sixty is common or unusual?

Last edited by Chip Morton; 08-14-2015 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 03:23 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
in a heart beat. i am retired two weeks and get calls from competitors a few times a week .

Old 08-14-2015, 03:29 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Yes I could tomorrow if I wanted, I've had departments beg me to work for them. But I'm 64 and not about to be in law enforcement again EVER. 35 years was enough. I don't want any job. I want to go fishing.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:32 PM

89 posts, read 110,674 times
The day they laid him off he turned down the severance pay offer because he was too proud and told them he would call his contacts and be working in days. I hope you guys are not as naïve.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:32 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
it is always like that . those that have all the job offers have no interest in working .

Old 08-14-2015, 03:50 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
In no way would I qualify for my old position. I retired from a huge corporation in 1991 as a mainframe computer systems supervisor. The results would be akin to a gorilla in a china shop. Technology has far surpassed my current knowledge of the field.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:56 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
I'm not even retired yet and I don't want my job.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:18 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
I think in a lot of cases companies recognizes the value of senior older employees but it is hard to transfer your skills to a new company. Part of your value is knowing the history of your employer, at a new job you do not have this skill. In addition it could take some time to train you in the companies policies. Thus a new employer will want someone that they can count on to be around for a few years.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:30 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
I am working in one of my former fields as a consultant, making twice per hour what I made then. I am not able to work more than 10–15 hours a week at this time, so I'm not making what I did at my old (not so high) salary. I wouldn't mind adding on a few hours but I feel a bit to lazy to pursue potential new clients. Just about anyone who formerly had a skilled job can get a website and business card together and hustle work as a consultant. My BIL makes huge bucks as one. It depends on motivation.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I think in a lot of cases companies recognizes the value of senior older employees but it is hard to transfer your skills to a new company. Part of your value is knowing the history of your employer, at a new job you do not have this skill. In addition it could take some time to train you in the companies policies. Thus a new employer will want someone that they can count on to be around for a few years.
A new company may figure the older worker will be facing health issues sooner or later, and needing time off for that, and may not want to take that risk. Plus of course the salary expectations of the older worker, when a young rookie can come in with all her techie knowledge for much less $ and willingness to work OT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement