Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 05:36 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of older men and women in pretty good shape physically in comparison with their SO's. I have no info on whether they're working out, though two men and several women I know hit the gym every single day and their spouses seem not to ever exercise.

From the outside, they appear to be aging at a different pace than their partners. Mine has the body of a 40-year-old. He's never seen the inside of a gym, gets all his "fitness" from constant physical activity when away from his desk. He eats a spartan diet by choice. I, on the the other hand, am starting to experience a bit of "spread" despite my efforts at the gym and a good diet. I tend to flag way before he does on long days or on trips.

I also notice this with differing attitudes between one partner and the other, not just physique. Some attitudes seem to reflect the general feel of aging.

If you are partnered...are you aging differently than your SO or spouse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 05:38 AM

106,670 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i think we both are deteriorating the same ha ha ha . she has more daily aches and pains from the gym and aging then i do but i tend to do longer lasting damage on body parts at the gym .

i think compared to our peers we look a lot better so i guess it is worth going and watching our diets .

Old 08-15-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think we both are deteriorating the same ha ha ha
Oh come on. You are both into the gym and bicycling, so probably in top shape.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:45 AM

106,670 posts, read 108,833,673 times
well i am in the best shape ever for sure but that is because i run 4 miles every other day .

marilyn is plagued with sciatica frequently so her ability to really do intense cardio is very limited.

weight wise we are both right where we need to be but i am there only because i am on a restricted diet because i am diabetic if i don't watch . i am on no meds.

before the diagnoses 2 years ago i was 200 lbs and 5 ft 10 . today i am 166lbs .

marilyn has always been weight conscious and has not changed much in 15 years.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:40 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
We're about the same. We keep telling each other how good we look. Hahaha it's keeps our confidence elevated.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:56 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I see a lot of older men and women in pretty good shape physically in comparison with their SO's. I have no info on whether they're working out, though two men and several women I know hit the gym every single day and their spouses seem not to ever exercise.

From the outside, they appear to be aging at a different pace than their partners. Mine has the body of a 40-year-old. He's never seen the inside of a gym, gets all his "fitness" from constant physical activity when away from his desk. He eats a spartan diet by choice. I, on the the other hand, am starting to experience a bit of "spread" despite my efforts at the gym and a good diet. I tend to flag way before he does on long days or on trips.

I also notice this with differing attitudes between one partner and the other, not just physique. Some attitudes seem to reflect the general feel of aging.

If you are partnered...are you aging differently than your SO or spouse?
Well, he is 15 years older, so yeah!

But compared to other almost 70 year olds, looks great.

A distant female cousin was shocked when I told her his age. He watches what he eats, gets lots of physical exercise around the house and doesn't go out looking like a duffel bag. Old military slang.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:02 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times
My ex was (and still is ) 9.5 years younger than me, and for the most part physically we've aged at the same rate. I look younger than my 64 years but up until this year I had increasingly gained weight--at the most I was 178 lbs. on my (almost) 5'2" frame. This year I lost almost 25 lbs (and still counting!) What was interesting is that I had a more youthful outlook than he did--he was a couch potato and would often go to bed by 9 pm. He never really wanted to go anywhere ("We can't afford it," "I can't stay out that late" etc.) Now that we're divorced and he's hooked up with a former co-worker he goes everywhere. He HATED to fly when we were married, but found the time/$$ to make monthly trips to Texas to be with his girlfriend.

When I became a "free agent" I tried on-line dating but gave up because most of the men my age on those sites are too "old" for me!

Old 08-15-2015, 07:25 AM

32 posts, read 35,632 times
the SO feels his age more than I do,but he had years of physically demanding work, which, I think, suited the goal driven part of his personality. still, he does not really look his age, and has never put on weight nor does he have that somewhat "grizzled " look that late 60s-early 70s men seem to sometimes have. I have diabetes which makes keeping weight off an imperative, although my "natural" body weight has always been on the slim side. he also has more chronic health issues of long standing which take their toll over the years.however, I would say that neither of us looks our age.

neither goes to a gym or works out, but he does a lot of yard work on the river property, which is almost an acre, and enjoys the exercise he gets then. I will do some exercises to maintain core body strength about 3-4 times a week, but I can easily talk myself out of doing it.

I believe genetics plays a part in how we age no matter what life style we adopt, and I think I've inherited some of my father's good health genes- I hope so.

tolly/catsy

Old 08-15-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Well, he is 15 years older, so yeah!

But compared to other almost 70 year olds, looks great.

A distant female cousin was shocked when I told her his age. He watches what he eats, gets lots of physical exercise around the house and doesn't go out looking like a duffel bag. Old military slang.
We should have a sticky for photos of folks who are 70+ and don't look their age. I'd love to see it. Maybe a parallel thread with a "couples" photo, lol. I don't think I'd participate in that one.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well i am in the best shape ever for sure but that is because i run 4 miles every other day .

marilyn is plagued with sciatica frequently so her ability to really do intense cardio is very limited.

weight wise we are both right where we need to be but i am there only because i am on a restricted diet because i am diabetic if i don't watch . i am on no meds.

before the diagnoses 2 years ago i was 200 lbs and 5 ft 10 . today i am 166lbs .

marilyn has always been weight conscious and has not changed much in 15 years.
Not fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement