Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 02:43 PM

130 posts, read 134,471 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm 66, but look 36. But there is this old man who haunts me. By god, when I look in the mirror he is always looking back at me!!

I always say to him, "Out, damn spot! out, I say!" But he refuses to leave.

Curses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 02:44 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I'm trying to figure out what I did to deserve these fancy new chin hairs . . .

I sooo feel your pain! At 64 (female) I have no leg/arm hair and next to none growing on my armpits but I have these pesky chin hairs that drive me crazy. I'll pluck them out, not see them for weeks then BAM--I'm in the ladies' room at work checking out my visage in the mirror and there it is for all to see. The other hair related nuisance is the occasional one solitary white eyebrow hair that's about a foot long which shows up at the most inconvenient time.....

Old 08-23-2015, 06:13 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
“Nature gives you the face you have at twenty. Life shapes the face you have at thirty. But at fifty you get the face you deserve.” - Coco Chanel

This is mostly a 'for fun' post. No need to come here and tell us how you still have your younger face due to good genetics and a mystery cream. But these are defining years, all those easy laughs get recorded as creases, sleepless nights = bags, etc, etc. When I saw Carly Fiorina's new expressionless face on the news a few weeks ago I thought 'botox'. I have a face that's seen both stress and much happiness. My favorite old face belongs to my husband, it's a happy Midwestern golfers face. Do you have the face you deserve?

I do and I finally feel like I well usually look kind of pretty. With the help of some makeup and good lighting and all. Never felt like this when I was younger I'm very happy now.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:16 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
Do I have the face I deserve...hmm.

Earlier today, I was sitting in the hair salon under the bright lights with nothing to do but look in the mirror. I noticed my worry lines on my forehead. I am currently pretty nervous about something and thought it was just a facial expression. I deliberately relaxed my face and they were still there.

I am currently worried about the same old lifelong major medical issue which has plagued me my whole life. In that respect, I have the face that is about right for my experiences. I've been through H. E. Double Toothpicks, and it shows.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:26 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
My face is ok for my age but my neck looks 20 years older. Wish I'd listened when I was younger, but if wishes were horses, etc.

As for those chin & upper lip hairs, I shave them off. Not very ladylike, but neither are the hairs.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:15 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I do and I finally feel like I well usually look kind of pretty. With the help of some makeup and good lighting and all. Never felt like this when I was younger I'm very happy now.
I think this fits for me, too. I've reached more of a place of acceptance with myself and don't worry as much about how I look to others as I used to. That's a pleasant relief.

I remember when I was thirty and had an older friend whose aging face gave her a look of experience and knowledge. I hope that's how my face fits me. If not, thinking about it that way works for me.

One thing I do know about reaching a certain age is that if you don't like the changes just wait a little while and the changes will change. Never a dull moment.

Those foot-long eyebrow hairs that spring up overnight certainly must be the punch line to some celestial joke, yeah?

There she walked in thinking she was the eyes of age, all put together and stuff, and I didn't hear a word she said. All I could think about was that bizarre white hair sticking out of her forehead.

You're not allowed to leave until you've gotten your ego right-sized.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:30 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
I decidedly deserve mine. I worked hard to earn every crease, line and wrinkle. I wouldn't trade a-one of 'em!

Old 08-24-2015, 11:30 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark bridge View Post
Well, I'm 66, but look 36. But there is this old man who haunts me. By god, when I look in the mirror he is always looking back at me!!

I always say to him, "Out, damn spot! out, I say!" But he refuses to leave.

Curses!
I have a dog named Spot. He has heard this exact phrase 1000 times. And he knows what it means!

Thanks for the laugh!

Old 08-24-2015, 11:39 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
I have smokers wrinkles, sun wrinkles and laugh wrinkles.

I prefer the laugh lines.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:03 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Another interesting 'face fact' is that study finds "Long-Married Couples Do Look Alike"

Long-Married Couples Do Look Alike, Study Finds - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Couples who originally bore no particular resemblance to each other when first married had, after 25 years of marriage, come to resemble each other, although the resemblance may be subtle, according to a new research report.

Moreover, the more marital happiness a couple reported, the greater their increase in facial resemblance.

The increase in facial similarity results from decades of shared emotions, according to Robert Zajonc, a psychologist at the University of Michigan, who did the research.
I find this scientific explanation quite plausible

Quote:
''Common life experiences over years and years can alter facial musculature and wrinkle patterns, leading to an increased resemblance..
Like other muscles of the body, facial muscles grow or atrophy according to the amount of use; facial muscle activity, in turn, stimulates growth in facial bones. People who maintain a particular emotional stance toward life - such as fear, disdain or joy - may tend to hold the facial muscles involved in those feelings slightly tensed in a readiness to respond, according to Dr. Ekman. Over several decades, that tension can come to give the face a distinctive cast by altering wrinkle patterns, changing the relative size of different muscles and even bones, and so altering the contours of the face.
So, I believe that people over 50 do earn their faces. I don't have any problems with people using plastic surgery to maintain or restore their youthful appearance. However, I find the 'frozen faces' not very appealing. Quite a few of celebrities looked a lot more attractive before the 'work'.

I also find it interesting that the appearance of 2 presidential female candidates are being discussed here. Women tend to accuse men of being sexist, but I think we women sometimes unwittingly fall for the same trap of judging other women especially political figures more on their looks and less on their abilities. If anything, I have to admit of being somewhat prejudiced against 'prettified' female political figures. If they are a natural beauty, that's great, but if they are too concerned about their looks and depend on plastic surgeries, this leaves questions in my mind about their seriousness and even competencies ;-0. Golda Meir was certainly not a beauty but I admired her greatly.

http://davidrgoldberg.com/wp-content...Golda-Meir.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement