Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times

Advertisements

About 10 years from retirement here, but follow the forum to see what I can learn from those ahead of me. Also, too many of the other forums are full of whining, griping, toxic people. It's nice to spend some time with folks who aren't ridiculing each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:37 AM

284 posts, read 362,412 times
I'm 55 and really hoping to retire next year. I enjoy all the different opinions and insights shared on this forum, primarily about relocating to another area, family issues, and making the transition into retirement. I've been in state government for 25 years and will be eligible for a decent pension. My husband retired from the post office after 30 years, so is also getting a pension and fortunately health insurance. We're planning to move to a different state, which is a little scary, but also exciting, and have gotten good information here that has helped us with our decision. Part of my morning routine has been to check into Citydata to see what folk's are talking about that day

Old 08-26-2015, 08:40 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
It's much worse to not think about retirement until you're in your late fifties or early sixties. Then it's too late, and it's why there are so many people in this country who find themselves in miserable circumstances when they reach retirement age. I'm not talking about the folks who got dealt a losing hand in their younger years (ie, job loss, health issues, etc) but rather the people who could contribute or contribute more to their 401ks and just don't; people who bolt into early retirement without thinking about all the consequences; people who raid their 401ks to finance vacations or cars; etc.
Excellent point! There seem to be a lot of folks on the retirement forum who suddenly 'discover' in their sixties that they are in terrible financial shape and cannot afford to retire ... seeking advice about what to do.

Other on CD forums are "desperate to move to Florida; buy a house; find a better job - and a host of other life event choices" --- yet, have taken no action and have absolutely no plan for actually accomplishing their goals. - What is this about? - (Probably should start another thread)

Old 08-26-2015, 08:53 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
It's much worse to not think about retirement until you're in your late fifties or early sixties. Then it's too late, and it's why there are so many people in this country who find themselves in miserable circumstances when they reach retirement age. I'm not talking about the folks who got dealt a losing hand in their younger years (ie, job loss, health issues, etc) but rather the people who could contribute or contribute more to their 401ks and just don't; people who bolt into early retirement without thinking about all the consequences; people who raid their 401ks to finance vacations or cars; etc.
I feel bad when I get asked for advice from my peers because I am not too concerned about retirement. The reason I feel bad is I cannot help them. The stuff I did right I started doing a long time ago and there is no way to get it done in a short amount of time unless you make a lot of money and can really cut expenses. I have been saving for retirement for around 30 years. I got used to take home being a smaller percentage of gross a long time ago and refused to cut back even when things were tight. I borrowed and paid it back off when things were better; not contributing to retirement to save money even for a little while is a slippery slope. Once you set the precedent, the bar can start slipping lower as to what constitutes an emergency. I have seen it happen to friends and relatives over the years.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:55 AM

983 posts, read 995,350 times
I'm in my early 50s and started reading this forum to get ready. I don't want to just plop out of work one day and say "I'm retired, what in the world do I do now?"

I've gotten valuable information on people who relocate, people on a shoestring and how they get by, "having purpose" in retirement, alternative retirements like living in a RV full time, ect.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:58 AM

141 posts, read 208,967 times
I turned 56 in May, my partner was 56 in February.

I've been reading this forum extensively. I'm finding it extremely helpful to start planning for retirement. I anticipate working until 68 because I started saving late in life. I'll need to get to FRA, especially since my partner has nothing saved (a life of working in low wage earning jobs, and now in college full time - he intends to work longer than I once he's out). Luckily, I love my job and am finally earning a very decent salary so I'll be able to catch up a lot by that time.

I think we'll be ok at that age with SS (we'll be married long before that occurs) and my savings, plus some he will be inheriting sadly, sooner than later due to both of his parents failing health.
The forum has answered a lot of questions so far and I expect to learn more as time goes by. Great group of people involved here!

Old 08-26-2015, 09:43 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times
My husband is older than me and is in poor health. He has wanted to retire soon. I realized I had very little information on how to retire. Through this board I have been encouraged to seek the help of professionals. I was able to find a CFP who has given us a map to retirement in 6 years... although things may change as I decide whether or not to renew the lease for my store and whether or not to move to a lower cost of living area. I think I will go back and discuss all of this with my CFP.

My biggest concern has been what to do with my days when I am no longer working. The people on this board give me lots of great insights and I am very thankful.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:27 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I'm probably 10 years out from retirement but I"m aware that I'd better use these years to fine-tune my investments and other planning while there is still time to make corrections. So this forum is a wealth of information from those already at that point.

So I do try to learn and ask questions more than make an actual contribution - since I"m not speaking from experience on this topic.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:37 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I'm 58 and I just quit my job in July. I'm not sure if I will be looking for another one in the fall or not. Right now I say NO. I love the freedom. I thought I would be one of those people that would have a hard time retiring, but so far I'm enjoying the heck out of the me time. I loved my job until it turned into a 12 hour shift place. You just know when it's time to walk away. I feel sorry for people who are stuck in their misery because they didn't plan for their retirement. It's a wonderful feeling knowing that you never have to do another thing in your life that you don't want to do but grow old and die. I went through the "freak out" stage too dd57. I was a real workaholic for decades and couldn't imagine my life without earning a paycheck. I had no trouble walking away from my job. It just felt right and I never realized how stressed out, burned out, and unhappy I was with this workaholic behavior until I've seen the other side of the coin these last few weeks. Try not to over think your retirement. You will know when the time is right. This is the second attempt for me for early retirement. I'll be anxious to see if I make it through the winter when cabin fever rolls in. If I do go back to work it will only be part time and I will never be a workaholic like I was before. I'm over it

Old 08-26-2015, 11:04 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm not even 30 and I read the forum. There is a lot you can learn from what other people have done, and ultimately, the mistakes of others as to not repeat them. With that said, I think the world is a vastly different place for my generation than current or near retirements, and advice must be modified (sometimes heavily) to fit current conditions.
I was 28 when I staredt financially planning towards retirement. A lot can change but not the need to finance retirement starting early in working life for best out come. Good luck retirement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement