Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:58 PM

174 posts, read 590,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I have to admit during visits to the Upper Midwest (MN, WI, IL, MI, OH) I have witnessed those sorts of areas. There is a certain mellow richness rolling along a two lane road through flat to slightly rolling cornfields and other interspersed ag and livestock land, but never too, too far from at least a decent sized well run town or even a major city. The only thing I can compare it with is the Central Valley, but even then, it's not the same (vast cultural differences and the Midwest does not have the large population of itinerant migrant workers we have in our CA ag areas, that demographic while it exists is not as massive).
Have to agree with you and Lodestar. And "mellow richness" is a good way to describe it. Although I'm a West Coaster now, I often flash back to those Upper Midwest drives in my youth. There have been only a few times I've felt totally at peace in life, and one I remember vividly was lying on my back atop a rolling Midwestern hill on a summer's day, watching cumulus clouds slowly changing shape against a vibrant blue background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 05:01 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
"mellow richness" is a good way to describe it. Although I'm a West Coaster now, I often flash back to those Upper Midwest drives in my youth. There have been only a few times I've felt totally at peace in life, and one I remember vividly was lying on my back atop a rolling Midwestern hill on a summer's day, watching cumulus clouds slowly changing shape against a vibrant blue background.
I sympathize with this sentiment. It reminds me of a Thomas Hardy novel. Unfortunately my own experience as a transplant to the Midwest has been less liltingly wholesome. When seeing endless expanses of corn, I see rapacious agri-business displacing the erstwhile sturdy yeoman-farmers, who are now unemployed meth-addicts in blighted towns. I see generations of downward economic mobility, of obdurate refusal to adapt to the times, of rampant civic mismanagement, corruption and myopia, empty strident veneration of bygone and impossible times.

But I am not immune to impotent pining for a now-impossible past. I pine for a winding river with granite embankments, surrounded by colorful neoclassical buildings, beyond which are modernist buildings with giant signs in Cyrillic alphabet atop of them, then roads and railways disappearing into imponderably vast forests of birch.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:26 PM

174 posts, read 590,671 times
sorry man, didn't mean to touch a nerve...

Old 09-01-2015, 06:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
One thing to consider....

If you live your whole life in the rust belt, you'll end up with a paid-for home that might be worth $200K. When you retire and are looking at moving, you really can't consider housing that costs more than $200K because it will eat up your retirement savings.

If you move to a high housing cost area, you'll end up with a paid-for home that might be worth $750K. You make more money so you likely are contributing much more to a 401(k). When you retire, you have the option to move and downsize freeing up the equity in that $750K home and living more comfortably off that bigger 401(k) portfolio. .
Pre-retirement, in a high housing equity growth area and income tax free wages helped me collect enough dough to pass GO by age 49.

within retirement... there are reasons for choosing a higher housing cost area (If you can come up with the price-of-admission).

My retirement spreadsheet modeling has a housing / resale component that brought to light the risk of being in a declining / slow growth RE valuation market. Retiring to a higher housing cost area (within reason) for 40 yrs royally paid for itself in modeled equity gains, ... while enjoying the perks of a desirable region.

as usual... Past performance does not guarantee future results. Sinking 100% equity into a residence whose value stays flat for 40 yrs of retirement did not look attractive in the end game. (thus I often propose 'renting' in retirement, while keeping your RE dollars in a WORKING investment)

As a senior / minimalist, I have entered some RE markets with smaller homes on nice acreage. I am anticipating future equity gains while garnering current rents. Future buyer can bulldoze and build their dream house. Low mortgage rates have enabled this questionable behavior of mine.

There are many superb 'retirement' centric areas in different geographies worldwide, that will meet the criteria of future equity gain. Don't miss out by staying in the 'rust-belt' and enduring snowy / wet winters to 'save' (?) on housing costs. Utilities and Maint may quickly offset realized savings. (I spend $70 / month for full electric utilities on a 5,000SF home.) No AC required (tho I have it installed).

Old 09-01-2015, 07:17 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,339,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I graduated college in 2010 and have lived/worked in six states since then - TN, VA, SC (briefly), IN, MA (for IN job), and IA. Some of the bouncing around was by choice, but most of the moves were out of financial necessity.

I've been thinking of trying to set up some longer term commitments in Indiana, but my employment situation is looking worse and I think I may have to leave town again if it looks like I will lose my job. I am essentially living life on a week to week basis and can't make any firm commitments like buying a house.

Retirees - were you able to feel more secure in one geographic area? Most of my family, most of whom are long-term retired or nearing retirement age, were able to live in mostly one region. Even if a job was lost, it was generally possible to find something else within commutable distance. For my generation, that just doesn't seem to be possible. What was your experience?
When you get to retirement age you will consider weather, taxes, and cost of living.To early to worry about these now. Family considerations can effect now and retirement in addition.
Figure out why you have to keep moving now and work on that.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:34 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Figure out why you have to keep moving now and work on that.
I am reminded of the Tolkien quote, "Not all those who wander are lost". Some people seem to have a very strong wanderlust which lasts a lifetime. Others get it out of their system when young, then settle down. Others, even when young, seem to have no desire to ever leave their own geographical area. I believe, but cannot prove, that it's a trait we are born with.

So I tend to question your characterization of that poster's frequent moves as a problem he needs to work on. There is great richness in a variety of living experiences. On the other hand, if young children's schooling and friendships are being too frequently disrupted by parents who are continually on the move, it may be causing them harm and that would be another story.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:19 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Hell NO, retirement means freedom from restrictions of geography!
Exactly. Look at my City-Data location.

So much depends on one's family situation. Many people retire to warm places like Florida and then move back north to be closer to their children and grandchildren.

At 20-something I think it's impossible to know what's going to happen in 40 years. One's profession often makes a huge difference. I mean, if you need patients like a doctor or dentist, starting a new practice takes a long time. If you own a restaurant and it's a popular spot in your local community, you certainly won't want to move away until you're ready to sell. OTOH, I've known people who have professions (i.e., traveling nurses) that allow them to live just about anywhere and make a good living.

Then there's health (both physical and emotional) a big factor in determining what you can/will do with your life. As my grandfather used to say

"Der mentsh trakht un Got lakht."

Man plans and God laughs.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,440,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Way too simplistic and not usually the case.
Well it works just fine for ME!

Old 09-01-2015, 08:58 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
What is the name of your valley? Can you post a pic? The next time I'm up on the summit I'll take a photo and post it.
The best I could do is find a website to direct you to. No pics, no camera and not at all 'smart' when it comes to posting them.

I live in the Verde Valley which contains a few small towns and communities. My town is Cottonwood. Google Verde Valley, AZ and you'll get a plethora of sites. I need to Google Mingus Mountain and see if I can get some good view pics. It's things like this that has made me 'explore' places I never would have thought about except for reading about them here. All the different places people want to move to get my curiosity up so I have to check them out. Google is my friend and I learn a lot.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Way too simplistic and not usually the case.
Why? I realize there are many factors that will control or impact one's life. Health is, of course, one of them, family matters another. Money can be a problem, but it depends on a person's lifestyle. I've met plenty of people who sold their big houses, bought small mobile homes or condos and are using the extra money to travel. I've also met people who camp around the country, driving to warmer spots in the winter. I looked at a home recently and the owners told me they're buying an RV and won't stop until they're too old to drive. I'm not sure if froglipz was talking about going on cruises and expensive European tours or just moving around, but it doesn't have to be expensive.

However, it's probably true that most people do not roam around for very long. As I single person, it gets tiring. OTOH, I just saw an ad for a condo in Panama for $500 a month that looks interesting. (somebody stop me, please!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement