Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 07:40 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Respectfully, it depends. IMHO, a politician in his/her 70s is viable: it's not about keeping up with the pace of cranking out pages of rules, balance sheets, general ledgers, what-not. It is very much about the metadata - HOW they know what they know. A little-known fact: politicians do a negligible amount of what employees in OP's wife's position call "work". They are paid for how they came about the know-how they have. The metadata, if you will.

Keeping up with a 20-30 year old on the cranking out part of a job (whether it be spreadsheets, a 4000 page health care bill, whatever) is a fool's errand. What you DO get paid for is your acumen with the sniff test - being able to tell whether or not a situation looks right, feels right and tastes right. I do not now know, nor have I EVER known, a single 20-30 year old who has a prayer of doing that well.

I say this as a former member of the 20-30 yo super-cranker cohort, who has grown older and considerably more astute.
Exactly - I was astonished at how well Hillary looked on some late night show and then - duh - I remembered.

They have more than enough money, they aren't rushing home to take care of anything. Things are done for them.

Sheesh she even e-mailed for a tv schedule -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 07:47 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Wife loves weekend boating and partying. Nothing wrong with that other than it restricts her already severely limited job options.
All we read is what he says; we have no idea of what his wife really says. We do know that he hasn't worked in years because he stated long ago that he was going to Soc. Sec. as his unemployment benefits ended. Since he was 62 it would have been a small amount.

His wife has been the breadwinner. Whether she continues supporting him she's going to keep working because she's still three years from receiving the full amount.

The saga of his surgeries, especially his rotator cup, has been going on for years. If he wished to get off his rear end and contribute he would have done so years ago. I once saw a Walmart greeter in a power wheelchair. However, rotor cup boy just wants to stay home and play. His wife is the victim. I know that many would call him an abuser since he stays home while his wife supports him.

Be thankful that you
have biscuitpop.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 10-03-2015 at 08:31 AM..

Old 10-03-2015, 08:24 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
Making a lot of assumptions to jump to some conclusions about this particular situation.

Having said that, there is something I have noticed over the years. People who are willing to do just about anything to support themselves usually don't have to. They are more likely to have job situations they like. I know there are exceptions due to health of individuals or those close to them (caregivers have a job; a really hard one), really bad luck and lack of job skills, but most people seem to either have near zero gaps in employment or frequent and/or large gaps. It seems counter-intuitive, but it is easier to be picky about jobs if you aren't picky about jobs.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:50 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Clemencia53, what? ??

Old 10-03-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Clemencia53, what? ??
?? The TV schedule?? If so, I read some blurb about the e-mail "scandal". They are searching all her e-mails etc. In one of them, she e-mailed one of her minions to tell her the time and channel for the show "Scandal".

lots easier than looking it up yourself - I guess.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:08 PM

My thought was why you would think being a lead player in a very intensive, exhaustive, nation-wide U.S. presidential campaign would be easier than doing household chores, and not require rigorous toil.

And why being a U.S. Secretary of State and traveling to over 200 countries and leading a huge U.S. State Dept, dealing with & negotiating with foreign leaders all over the world, and tackling world issues would be easy and not demanding on a person's mental & physical being just because she doesn't do her own household tasks.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-03-2015 at 04:01 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
My thought was why you would think being a lead player in a very intensive, exhaustive, nation-wide U.S. presidential campaign would be easier than doing household chores, and not require rigorous toil.

And why being a U.S. Secretary of State and traveling to over 200 countries and leading a huge U.S. State Dept, dealing with & negotiating with foreign leaders all over the world, and tackling world issues would be easy and not demanding on a person's mental & physical being just because one doesn't do one's household chores.
Household chores?

Old 10-03-2015, 03:51 PM

In your post at #141 in this thread, you said that Hilary Clinton looks good because "she doesn't have to rush home to take care of anything" as if because she probably doesn't do her own household tasks, she is able to maintain good looks.

I pointed out in #146 that just because she doesn't do her own household tasks ('rushing home as you state') that doesn't mean she doesn't have a very rigorous life of intensive responsibility and exhaustive level of tasks as U.S. Senator, U.S Secretary of State, and U.S. presidential candidate.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:55 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
All we read is what he says; we have no idea of what his wife really says. We do know that he hasn't worked in years because he stated long ago that he was going to Soc. Sec. as his unemployment benefits ended. Since he was 62 it would have been a small amount.

His wife has been the breadwinner. Whether she continues supporting him she's going to keep working because she's still three years from receiving the full amount.

The saga of his surgeries, especially his rotator cup, has been going on for years. If he wished to get off his rear end and contribute he would have done so years ago. I once saw a Walmart greeter in a power wheelchair. However, rotor cup boy just wants to stay home and play. His wife is the victim. I know that many would call him an abuser since he stays home while his wife supports him.

Be thankful that you
have biscuitpop.
Correct. He says that she wants wants to work and he says the she wants to be home for the football game, but we really don't know. Perhaps that's what he wants.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
In your post at #141 in this thread, you said that Hilary Clinton looks good because "she doesn't have to rush home to take care of anything" as if because she probably doesn't do her own household tasks, she is able to maintain good looks.

I pointed out in #146 that just because she doesn't do her own household tasks ('rushing home as you state') that doesn't mean she doesn't have a very rigorous life of intensive responsibility and exhaustive level of tasks as U.S. Senator, U.S Secretary of State, and U.S. presidential candidate.
Ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement