Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 05:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Try Traverse City, Michigan and surrounding areas.

It gets more snow than you may want, often depends on the lake effect.

Brother and SIL live in TC. This is the first year they wish they had AC install when they built the house 20 years ago.

Actually, I was thinking Grand Rapids and they generally are considered to have some of the best healthcare in the state of Michigan.

And there is great gardening and orchards all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 06:35 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times
There really isn't anywhere in the U.S. except the west coastal areas and PNW that don't have hot summers . At least in my research that's what I've found. The NE summers are short with good growing seasons, but there is some heat and humidity but not the oppressive kind by any means.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:20 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Your other post mentioned Tyler, TX. I don't recall any snow..... of course I was only there for one full winter. One day in November there was slush on the ground and that was "winter." Some places actually did shut down. Doubt that happens now.
The stats say it snows 1" there most years. I live in Dallas, which most people don't associate with snow. It snows here almost every year.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Am looking for the same as you. Am seriously considering Fayetteville, AR. Not great medical care, but I think enough.
Has to have med. care, since I live alone and probably wouldn't be able to drive myself out of town for cancer treatments. Unless I stay in a hotel there. And kennel the dogs. A lot to do for someone with cancer (if I ever get cancer).

My relatives still live in my hometown, and they have to leave town for serious treatment of anything, is why I consider that issue.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Am looking for the same as you. Am seriously considering Fayetteville, AR. Not great medical care, but I think enough.
Oddly enough, I had researched Fayetteville AR last year. Beautiful place. Thought AR might have too high cost of living, though. And not sure about gardening....it's a mountainous region, I think. I need to re-research it.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Except for #4 Hunterdon Co. NJ You do know that NJ is called the "Garden State".

It's totally unaffordable for somebody to move and set up a farm but you didn't ask that.
Oh, I don't want a farm. I just want soil that is good for a backyard garden. Where I live, the soil is so hard and bad that above ground gardening is most often done. A lot of work has to be done to get plants to survive the drought season and scorching summers.

I'm from the Gulf Coast, where you did an ugly hole, throw a plant in it, and it grows. Good soil, good rain. But I would miss the chilly winters and the snow. It doesn't snow much where I live (Dallas), but it does usu. snow at least once every winter. The Gulf Coast is a subtropical climate, with almost no differentiation of seasons.

I'm going to visit Tyler, TX....good soil, and hopefully, maybe a little snow once in a while. But I am wondering if there are other, better places. There are things about Tyler I'm not sure about.

I'm in research mode.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:00 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The stats say it snows 1" there most years. I live in Dallas, which most people don't associate with snow. It snows here almost every year.

So being there, experiencing it, can't be true??

Old 09-04-2015, 09:39 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
If I were to move to some place that had:

1. at least occasional snow...
2. with summers not too hot (no triple digits!)...
3. had great soil and enough rain for great gardening...
4. along with a low cost of living...
5. a good # of medical providers (probably not a small city or town)....

where would that be? Does some place come to mind, that you know of?
Umm. Where I live.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Oddly enough, I had researched Fayetteville AR last year. Beautiful place. Thought AR might have too high cost of living, though.
?? Where did you get that impression? Run a COL comparison between Tyler and Fayetteville using any website calculator and Fayetteville comes out lower every time.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:39 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,246,572 times
I want to know more about the possibility of moving to the Michigan coast of Lake Michigan for retirement, having never been in Michigan before. I have all kinds of concerns about such a move. I've heard you can get lyme disease in Michigan. I don't have any experience with ticks, and don't even know how to look for them. I've heard local real estate taxes tend to be very high there. I'm worried about crime, because Detroit has a reputation of being practically a crime war zone, and it makes logical sense that the crime would spill over into the rest of the state. I'm worried that if I buy an affordable house, it will be too far from a good hospital, because city houses cost a lot more than country houses of the same size and lot size. I'm worried that whatever house I buy there will turn out to be a money pit, and consume 100% of my retirement savings. But I'm not at all worried about snow. That's the one thing I look forward to the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement