U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:39 PM

29,774 posts, read 34,856,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbig60 View Post
most middle class couples think $100,000 would be more than enough
If you can grow it greater than inflation. Otherwise what will that be worth in purchasing power in 25 years. It isn't just the initial amount but the ability to grow that with YOUR REAL COST OF LIVING increases. That is unless you are willing to modify your behavior as time passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 02:00 PM

12,686 posts, read 14,068,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
For those of you already retired.....

I have many many years until I retire and often wonder what fabulous careers are out there and thought I would ask those already retired what you think.

Did you have an occupation that you really enjoyed and made great money at, if so what was it and how long did you do it for?
Never happened. However, I ended up with enough to have had in retirement a house on the beach, and two others with great sea views, and my present condo with a nice inland mountain view and a so-so sea view (not all at once, by the way.) And, as TuborgP has said above, my lifestyle has modified so that I live very nicely on my income.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:10 PM

12,686 posts, read 14,068,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbig60 View Post
most middle class couples think $100,000 would be more than enough
I am living alone on just a tiny bit over half of that, and I live very comfortably - though not luxuriously.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:29 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,530,997 times
actually kevxu you are close to convincing me to make a trip to Portugal. just to see what the lifestyle is like.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:32 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,530,997 times
OP, my advice would be to follow your passion with a career, do it because you enjoy it not so much that you make a lot of money doing it. If you have a choice, take this advice.

If you like it and do it well, the money usually follows or a good life which is more important anyway.

I have been a logistician for 40 years with the Army and industry and loved every day of it. Never felt like I worked a day until this past year.

good luck

Old 12-19-2013, 03:23 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,991 times
Pick a career that will make you rich. Riches will make you happier than poverty.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:52 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,522,222 times
As far as making a great amount of money, the only way my family members and close friends have been able to achieve this is through higher education. My brother and I are both engineers and make good money. But not sure if you would consider it great money. We both enjoy or at least find our jobs interesting but there is hard work involved. Two close friends are attorneys and made good money but don't think they liked their jobs as much or found it rewarding. I have one college friend who was able to develop a payroll and billing software/database for hospitals and is now well to do. But he is a natural born salesman, highly intelligent, and works long hours. Don't know how he managed to develop the software as he does not even have a computer science degree - perhaps he just had the ideas and hired others to program. All of us worked for 30 years or more in these fields. Some others on the forums have mentioned their wealth or those of family and friends - but I'm not sure what they did for a living or how much they enjoyed their jobs

Old 12-20-2013, 11:06 AM

3,453 posts, read 2,253,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
For those of you already retired.....

I have many many years until I retire and often wonder what fabulous careers are out there and thought I would ask those already retired what you think.

Did you have an occupation that you really enjoyed and made great money at, if so what was it and how long did you do it for?
I spent almost 30 years as a hospital fund raiser. Fascinating work always -- met a ton of interesting people and earned enough to retire comfortably.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:00 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,332,370 times
Go in business, or an occupation where you work on a percentage basis. The per cent business been berry, berry good to me.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:30 PM

11 posts, read 9,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
"fabulous career"

Not really, I served aboard various submarines. I earned an average of $65k/year tax-free.

I studied different skills each year, and became proficient in many tasks.

Picked up a few degrees.

I was very proud of my work and what we were doing; and we have lived in a lot of different cultures.

We moved around a lot. Got settled in and used to one city just as it became time to move again.

I made enough though that we were able to do a lot of investing.

Our investment portfolio enabled us to buy our retirement home using cash, so we have no mortgage.
Just want to say congratulations. You are the one responsible for your good fortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or