U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 04:58 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,446,014 times

Advertisements

I've posted this previously in other threads but the best job I ever had was being a stripper. (after retirement age 47-57) I made a ton of money and had so much fun!! I wish I had known about this profession as a young person - I would have never entered the normal work force and certainly would have made a lot more money in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 05:07 PM

30,692 posts, read 49,482,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I've posted this previously in other threads but the best job I ever had was being a stripper. (after retirement age 47-57) I made a ton of money and had so much fun!! I wish I had known about this profession as a young person - I would have never entered the normal work force and certainly would have made a lot more money in the end.
I have read your posts before about that. From your observation, what is the normal age range among exotic dancers?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:12 PM

34,696 posts, read 33,714,187 times
If I was going to college now, with an eyeball on a career, college might have something to do with drones (maybe photography/surveillance analysis), robotics or the Middle East (including learning a mid-Eastern language).

Old 07-25-2014, 11:36 PM

1,437 posts, read 725,652 times
Quote:

You go girl!

It is super really refreshing to hear a fine woman like you unabashedly brag about your decisions and doing what you wanted. Good for you!

Old 07-25-2014, 11:56 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,073,350 times
Quote:
As a stripper, did you get benefits, i.e. health insurance, SS, etc.?
Entering a career at 47, that would have been uppermost in my mind. I wouldn't have given a hoot about the clothes I would have had to wear or shed, and who saw me.
Men. I love 'em but despite growing up with 4 brothers and raising 2 sons, I am always surprised and somewhat disappointed at what dolts they are and how easy it is to manipulate them. If I had it to do over again, I too would have financially leveraged their weaknesses.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 07-26-2014 at 12:05 AM..

Old 07-26-2014, 08:24 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,356,695 times
Obviously not all of us can be strippers, especially at the age of 47. Good on her, but not a very available career choice for many.

I had a great career in IT, software development. Starting in testing, then QA and Customer Support, ending up managing the programming department. It was not stress-free, but well-paid, and mostly lots of fun. Husband and I had the luxury of two 6-figure incomes for a few years, and enjoyed it! Now we're both retired, and doing well.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:15 AM

6,571 posts, read 8,001,000 times
If you are looking for suggestions as to what career path to follow, I would suggest the following: DO WHAT YOU ARE GOOD AT. First consider your core competencies -- what are they? Are you good at math? Good at building things? Detail oriented? Good at designining things? Good at helping people out of a problem? Good at selling things? Make a list of what you and perhaps your friends think are your strengths. Then make a list of all of the careers that need someone with those interests/talents. Finally, cross off the careers that are illegal (LOL) or that are morally repugnant to you. Then, as you continue to develop your strengths through eduation or work experience, aim toward those careers that will normally lead you toward your goals.

Following your passion is okay for a hobby, but not for your career, unless you have the necessary strengths, education, and time to accomplish your goals as a life time target. For example, being passionate about video games will not get you anywhere, but being good at strategizing or having quick reaction times might help you in some aspect of business. I like a challenge and am very analytical, so I kept moving into more and more cutting edge science, just by being at the right place at the right time.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:06 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,506,246 times
My wife and I were both political and legislative analysts for the state of CA. Being civil servants, the pay was never on a grand scale. My wife hated it as she'd been a midwife which she loved but she needed a steady income and health benefits for her two daughters whom she raised with no help whatsoever from their father, her former husband. I was a grade above her when we married in 1996 and our household income was in the low six digits. Six years later she had to take early retirement for health reasons. Thankfully, I promoted into management then promoted again so by the time I retired in 2008 the total income was upper five digits with her pension and my salary which was about. Thankfully again, but for the last year which prompted me to retire a few years earlier than originally planned, I enjoyed my job which was demanding, challenging and as enjoyable as working with, or against, politicians could be. We now live on almost double the area median household income and are comfortable.

In my opinion, job satisfaction trumps income as long as you make enough to meet your needs and provide for retirement down the road. Public service is about the last bastion of defined benefit pensions and is under attack. We're grateful that we locked ours in long before we retired and the healthcare benefits are unparalleled.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-27-2014 at 09:14 AM..

Old 08-15-2014, 02:55 AM

4 posts, read 4,434 times
Quote:
stripper fun ? - brave girl - today's news was a girl in the UK saying 'don't worry about exams girls - you can always earn money getting your t.ts out' - scoring lots of flak in the process !

Old 08-15-2014, 06:30 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,044,977 times
Environmental scientist, work is always interesting, salary with the government is about $100k a year, up to double that in private industry, but then you do not have the stability and government benefits such as a pension plan and savings plan like an ira with a 5 % match of your salary. Downside is it is government and the management and politics can get old, real old. I am at 27 years...3 to go to retire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or