Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 01:49 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times

Advertisements

I volunteer for our local Community Patrol and we are often asked by residents about crime in our area. While we're a very safe community, there are a lot of seniors here and many feel vulnerable. We (and I) recommend www.alertid.com so they can at least be reassured or forewarned of safety concerns.

It occurred to me that those who are still searching for a place to retire, or those who have already moved to a new area, might appreciate knowing about this service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 02:54 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I volunteer for our local Community Patrol and we are often asked by residents about crime in our area. While we're a very safe community, there are a lot of seniors here and many feel vulnerable. We (and I) recommend www.alertid.com so they can at least be reassured or forewarned of safety concerns.

It occurred to me that those who are still searching for a place to retire, or those who have already moved to a new area, might appreciate knowing about this service.
It's often been said that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. I fail to see how a ''social network'' could even equal that. We're responsible for ourselves just as much today as we were in the Paleolithic. We can avoid areas of weather emergencies, crime, and poverty, but we must always be prepared. Guns, food storage, and money are far better than any police department or group of concerned citizens. Neighbors are helpful, but neighbors don't live with us. Dogs can and do sound the alarm, but they count on us for protection.

Your most critical possession is a gun. Without one, you can lose everything else, including your life, in an instant.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:08 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
Funny you should say that my husband and I are going to take gun safety course in Sept. and then apply for Licenses. Being in MA wish us luck to get them.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:59 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I used to like Alert Id but they changed and you can't get the location if the incident without logging in to the site every time. I don't bother anymore.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:29 PM

146 posts, read 162,422 times
Getting to know my neighbors has been the best investment in security for me.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Funny you should say that my husband and I are going to take gun safety course in Sept. and then apply for Licenses. Being in MA wish us luck to get them.
I do wish you luck. However, you may need to use a politically connected attorney. An attorney who's a former cop might work as well.

I looked up Weirton, WV on c-d. It has one of the lowest crime rates I've ever seen. You'll be able to pack iron there. It's an interesting that the places where you most need a gun are often the places with the most difficult gun laws while the safest places are those where people are happy when you exercise those rights.

Those West Virginia real estate prices are unbelievable. Did you know that West Virginia was one of the most reliable Democratic states until 1996? Now, it's just as reliably Republican. Every politician there agrees the change was about guns, nothing else. West Virginians have always supported the Second Amendment and in 2000 their seven electoral votes made the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement