Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 08:52 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,789,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Should I visit a little earlier to catch the foliage in Raleigh? I was told later Oct/early Nov but maybe that's not the case this year....I'm flexible on travel dates.
It's almost certain to be peak then, but it may be after the brightest color. It is very hard to be sure when that is though. I just checked and last year the piedmont was peaking early November on most reports. When the first cool weather comes through and how much rain we get is yet to be seen so no one really knows. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of planted (non native) trees. I think they turn sooner. I think peak for my street was mid October. But your dates are probably fine. South facing slopes and north facing slopes within a couple of miles can have different peaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 07:19 AM

11,046 posts, read 9,684,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Reading this thread made me realize that TN has a higher sales than NYC!
Yes it does, but the point I was trying to make is that higher sales tax is a drop in the bucket compared to the reduced level of property and income taxes we pay in TN. The sales tax in our county on non-groceries is about 9.75 %. In our county in northern CA sales tax on non-food was 9.25%. So that's a horrible increase of 50 cents per hundred dollars I spend on goods. Hardly worth fretting over. Just to keep it in perspective, I save over a dollar on every gallon of gas I buy, several thousand a year in state income tax, and $3000/year in property taxes.

And yes "Serious Conversation", we have several grocery stores in Knoxville like Whole Foods and Earth Fare, that feature organic foods exclusively. Most major grocers such as Kroger's, Publix, even Food City have organic sections, and there are numerous farmer's markets in the area every week through the growing season.

Last edited by TheShadow; 09-12-2015 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-12-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
It's almost certain to be peak then, but it may be after the brightest color. It is very hard to be sure when that is though. I just checked and last year the piedmont was peaking early November on most reports. When the first cool weather comes through and how much rain we get is yet to be seen so no one really knows. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of planted (non native) trees. I think they turn sooner. I think peak for my street was mid October. But your dates are probably fine. South facing slopes and north facing slopes within a couple of miles can have different peaks.
I just went back and looked at pictures from fishing on Shearon Harris (slightly south of Raleigh) in October last year. Some trees, especially the oaks, were still green. Lot of yellow and a little orange at that time. There were a couple of pics that looked like Fall peak and others that could have been mid summer.

BTW, it is supposed to get to 80 here today; mid 70s now. My cousin in Corryton, TN (just north of Knoxville) posted that it is only predicted to get to 68 there.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:15 AM

11,046 posts, read 9,684,120 times
We're having a cool week this week around Knoxville. Should be back up to low 80's by midweek.

Around here the peak is somewhat dependent upon elevation. The higher areas peak earlier. The mountains and plateau will peak around mid to late October, the valley a week or two later. Of course it's variable year to year.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,829,403 times
thanks for the info on the foliage. I was born and raised in New York and made many trips to NE to see the foliage, so I know it's not an exact science. And I am definitely going to check out Cary.

Our temps here have been very high this week and humid. Our weather has changed but we only get it for a few weeks, but for those of us who don't have A/C, it actually feels better to be outside than inside.

I have heard that Knoxville is known to have very high allergens, so just a heads up for people considering that area. Maybe people from that area can verify. How about NC?

Old 09-12-2015, 01:57 PM

I would love to say NC is just too awesome for pollen but it ain't so. Spring and fall make a lot of people miserable. Only for a while and then it's awesome again. But it happens...

Old 09-12-2015, 03:28 PM

16,011 posts, read 21,025,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I have heard that Knoxville is known to have very high allergens, so just a heads up for people considering that area. Maybe people from that area can verify. How about NC?
Knoxville sits in a depression and things collect or settle there, so yes, it can be a challenge for allergy sufferers, but much of the southeast is a bit rough on people with allergy problems.

National Allergy Forecast & Information About Allergies | Pollen.com

Old 09-13-2015, 05:32 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,673,898 times
I lived in the mountains of NC and the beach. I lived in upstate SC. The best place I found was TN. However, I like Roanoke but never lived there. NE TN is a little bit cheaper to live the Roanoke and I think Roanoke has more to do.

I had allergy issues when I lived in PA, NJ, and DE. I never noticed my allergies getting worse when I moved south. However everyone is different. If this might be an issue then I suggest renting for a while before making a home purchased.

If TN looks interesting I suggest either the Tri-Cities area or the Cookeville area. The Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville is nice too.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:30 PM

7,023 posts, read 6,256,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Knoxville sits in a depression and things collect or settle there, so yes, it can be a challenge for allergy sufferers, but much of the southeast is a bit rough on people with allergy problems.

National Allergy Forecast & Information About Allergies | Pollen.com
Looking at the link you provided, no wonder I'm miserable unless I use my nettie pot. We're very high in pollen. So I guess I can cross that problem off my list. As Frank used to sing, "If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere". He wasn't talking about Minnesota, but just the same.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:03 AM

It was 50 at my house when I got up this morning. Forecast is 50s/70s most of the week and then 60s/80s late week and weekend. Summer is not truly gone, but the long runs of sweltering days without a break are. I have become a cool weather wimp; wearing jeans and a light jacket...

EDIT - A few people I work with are in shorts today. I love summer and warm weather, but I don't pretend it's here when it isn't. I go ahead an pull the jeans out.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 09-14-2015 at 07:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement