U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 893 times

Advertisements

As my husband & I get close to retirement, I wonder if there has been progress made on ethnic diversity in retirement communities. I Googled the subject, and came up with very little. I'd like an ethnically diverse retirement community. If you know of any, I'd love the information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 07:33 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
On a personal level, no, I wouldn't want to retire in a diverse community. I prefer being around people of similar views and life experiences.

As someone from small town Tennessee who has also lived in Midwestern cities, I couldn't be more out of place in a fast paced, coastal, urban environment.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:42 AM

2,912 posts, read 3,549,656 times
I wonder how many of the ethnomasochistic whites posting here have experienced ghetto "culture" up front, in their face. I certainly got my fill of it growing up in Baltimore City.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:17 AM

5,395 posts, read 21,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
On a personal level, no, I wouldn't want to retire in a diverse community. I prefer being around people of similar views and life experiences.
It is natural and normal that people tend to associate with people like themselves. All races, nationalities, economic levels etc. have done that when given a choice simply because it is comfortable. As much as the people in government want diversification for other people (not their neighborhoods) it is not a natural inclination and it is questionable that it leads to better communities.

I have lived in various environments and now that I have a choice I live in one where I have much in common with most of the people.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:32 AM

4,554 posts, read 5,470,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It is natural and normal that people tend to associate with people like themselves. All races, nationalities, economic levels etc. have done that when given a choice simply because it is comfortable. As much as the people in government want diversification for other people (not their neighborhoods) it is not a natural inclination and it is questionable that it leads to better communities.

I have lived in various environments and now that I have a choice I live in one where I have much in common with most of the people.

Well said!

Old 08-29-2016, 10:18 AM

547 posts, read 388,387 times
Do you want to retire to an ethnically diverse community?

No I don't and I shouldn't have to feel guilty nor defend myself because of it.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:21 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I read somewhere that most retirement communities are not ethnically diverse. In fact most people who move into a retirement community are White. I visit relatives in retirement communities in Arizona and Florida and are shocked to see mostly white people in States where a good percentage of people are minority.

I wonder if many retirees have decided that they want to move to a community closer to what they experienced in the the 1940s, 50s and 60s before America changed demographically. Is that why so many retirement communities are white dominated?
None of them noticed because our generation was not taught that you need to be concerned about diversity. We just live. Personally I am so tired of hearing about race from people who don't even know what is in the constitution or the history books. They know about political correctness and calling people racist and bigots and that is ALL they know. Who wants to live around people like that?

Old 08-29-2016, 10:22 AM
mlb

3,181 posts, read 2,856,112 times
I suspect that when it comes time to be admitted to an assisted living center it won't make a difference....

However, we have lived in Utah the past 26 years.... we are chompin' at the bit to return to a more "normal" diverse population. And diverse in more ways than race.

The segregation of retirees really is not a great thing. I love programs that have daycare for kids and daycare for elders combined.

It's so easy to lose perspective when you're surrounded by people who are just like you.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:14 PM

7,298 posts, read 15,350,510 times
Yes. I'd prefer diversity in gender, age, race. I'd much rather live in a neighborhood with a variety of people - even annoying teenagers - than a retirement enclave of old folks, even though I am one myself.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:33 PM

7,254 posts, read 4,139,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiAlaska View Post
As my husband & I get close to retirement, I wonder if there has been progress made on ethnic diversity in retirement communities. I Googled the subject, and came up with very little. I'd like an ethnically diverse retirement community. If you know of any, I'd love the information!

It's not really a matter of progress. Caucasians are simply much more likely pack up and move to a retirement community. Others are much more likely to remain in their own communities, even if they have the means to move. Their comfort zone is with their community, and not with a bunch of Caucasians thousands of miles from their home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or