U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 12:03 PM

1,347 posts, read 475,090 times

Advertisements

Everybody seems to focus on finding a place with varied ethnicity and diversity as if it is the end all of goals sometimes.

What of culture and mindset?

I am white, but I am 100% sure I would prefer to live in a community of all black conservative/libertarian retired military types, then a community of all white retired liberal academia types.

I wouldn't mind a mix of both cultures/mindsets, but would certainly prefer the former be in the majority, even if we did not share the same ethnicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 01:07 PM

345 posts, read 171,047 times
I live in a place where everyone looks just like me and would probably retire to a similar one.

It's a big life simplifier I think.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:14 PM

8,306 posts, read 11,156,290 times
I live in the same town where I lived before retirement. My objection to "senior communities" is they are segregated not only by race but by age. I prefer to live in a regular neighborhood. I like seeing a kid once in a while.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:07 PM

2,103 posts, read 883,976 times
Things have changed but not that much. I think it would be difficult to find that imaginary community of majority black conservative retired military people. People who live in diverse communities are more than likely those liberal folks. If you were a liberal in the 60's, race didn't and still doesn't mean that much.
If you were a white conservative in the 60's you probably live in a predominatly or maybe all white neighborhood today. People our age (in their late 60's and 70's) haven't changed along with the times. They are still pretty much the same as they were 45 or 50 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Everybody seems to focus on finding a place with varied ethnicity and diversity as if it is the end all of goals sometimes.

What of culture and mindset?

I am white, but I am 100% sure I would prefer to live in a community of all black conservative/libertarian retired military types, then a community of all white retired liberal academia types.

I wouldn't mind a mix of both cultures/mindsets, but would certainly prefer the former be in the majority, even if we did not share the same ethnicity.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,938 posts, read 54,667,582 times
Even on an anonymous forum, people don't like to admit that they prefer living in an area where most if not all people are like them, economically, in their values, and yes, in their appearance (race). This is the same reason that the pollsters during the 2016 presidential election were way off on their numbers. Some really do want a place with varied ethnicity and diversity, most say they do, but in reality do not.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:13 AM

708 posts, read 505,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Truthfully, I doubt that most of the people moving to these 55 and older communities even realized that they are mostly white. I don't think that has anything to do with why people are moving there. I think that you get to a certain age and the idea of mowing a lawn isn't that appealing, but you aren't ready for a condo yet. And, if you have been busy working and running a business for the last umpteen years and haven't put much energy into developing a social life these places offer access to kids your own age to play with.
There may be certain cultural reasons why this lifestyle appeals more to whites than other ethnicities, but I don't think there is anything discriminatory going on there.

I totally agree with you. We are moving into a Florida 55+ community because of weather, beauty,
and many social programs they have for residents. We never thought about other ethnicities and we would welcome any other ethnicities. I don't think most of us make decision because we want to move to a
white community.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:24 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,683,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Even on an anonymous forum, people don't like to admit that they prefer living in an area where most if not all people are like them, economically, in their values, and yes, in their appearance (race). This is the same reason that the pollsters during the 2016 presidential election were way off on their numbers. Some really do want a place with varied ethnicity and diversity, most say they do, but in reality do not.
Where we have chosen to live have been influenced by several factors.

Our first purchased home was in a small city in IN. A 1900 bungalow on a river with similar homes and older neighbors on the street. One block in from the river were old homes turned into multi-unit apartments with absentee landlords. It is 54.8% white and lower income now, not much changed from when we lived there.

That first home was where we could afford at that time. We loved the house, our immediate neighbors and were happy to own our own place. We didn't feel the need to go into debt to live with people like us. As we've been able to afford better homes, we've moved into neighborhoods that have more people with similar income and educational levels.

We have chosen to live in an ungated, non-deed restricted/non-HOA suburban neighborhood in coastal SWFL, which isn't age restricted. We are comfortable with a mix of people. It is an eclectic neighborhood with slightly more variety in income and education, but even at that, it is 89% white, like our NYC bedroom community. Our FL neighborhood is conservative and our NY one is liberal, political leanings have not been part of choosing where to live and hasn't changed the diversity of where we live.

Our personal economics and preferring SFH with yards have been factors of where we live/lived and this latest move involved family. Wanting to to be somewhere near a body of water has been even stronger than any other criteria though: the St. Joseph River, the Hudson River and the Gulf of Mexico were major influences. A lake or a pond would have sufficed. Not always the smartest factor in some ways.

We're pretty superficial; get us near bodies of water and we are content, with the rest falling into place.

I used C-D demographics to look up percentages

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-25-2017 at 10:51 AM..

Old 05-25-2017, 10:01 AM

3,703 posts, read 1,885,943 times
When we bought our "retirement" home 18 months ago we didn't research the ethnic or age make-up of the community. It is culturally diverse, young and old. We tend to keep to ourselves and there doesn't appear to be too many issues where we live.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 PM

1,347 posts, read 475,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Things have changed but not that much. I think it would be difficult to find that imaginary community of majority black conservative retired military people. People who live in diverse communities are more than likely those liberal folks. If you were a liberal in the 60's, race didn't and still doesn't mean that much.
If you were a white conservative in the 60's you probably live in a predominatly or maybe all white neighborhood today. People our age (in their late 60's and 70's) haven't changed along with the times. They are still pretty much the same as they were 45 or 50 years ago.
I would agree that a community of all black conservative retired military is pretty much imaginary, but I used that example simply to try to make a point about mindset and values trumping ethnic diversity (at least to me).

I completely disagree that race does not matter to many liberals. It is obvious that many liberals fixate on race constantly, and not in a good way. They tend to be the ones that insist on diversity of race/ethnicity in their own environments (but not diversity of thought!) Some of the least tolerant people I have encountered have been older progressive academics.

Hence my comment about not desiring a retirement community full of white liberal academics. I prefer to be around people that think as I do, but their race does not matter to me.

I guess another factor to consider is how engaged does one want to be in their retirement community?

Your neighbors would not matter much if you are a self imposed shut in. I like to talk to people, and will strike up a conversation almost anywhere.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:02 AM

6,912 posts, read 7,318,475 times
Just by default I will retire in the major northeast city I grew up in -- which is diverse by its very nature.
So I already know it will be. But it I were not in a diverse place, then no, diversity wouldn't necessarily be a factor for where I retire. I couldn't care less what ethnicity someone is -- if they don't bother me or affect my "life, liberty and pursuit of happiness." All I need -- regardless of ethnicity -- is courtesy.

If a place is diverse and people get a long, then I guess that's a plus for some people. But I don't about things like that. I care more about amenities and cultural activities, weather, major airport location, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or