Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 03:02 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

I have never understood the big deal about diversity. Has this been drilled into people by our school system? Who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 05:03 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have never understood the big deal about diversity. Has this been drilled into people by our school system? Who cares?
For many folks the richness of cultural diversity has been very beneficial for them and their families. It has enabled their children to acquire the skills to work successfully in a changing global society without fearing the change. It has enabled prosperity. That is their path. Others have chosen paths with hopefully prosperous results for them.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:13 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz1964 View Post
My feelings exactly. As far as I'm concerned, retirement communities are maybe one or two steps above a nursing home. They just feel stale and boring. I much prefer a place where people at different life stages live together. Young and old, couples with children and empty nesters. I love seeing children riding bicycles and playing on the street, since it makes the place feel alive.

Another issue I have with 55+ retirement communities is that, since they cater to a specific buyer market, they can also be harder to sell when the time inevitably comes to do that. For instance when the owners get too old to live on their own or die, and the heirs are stuck with selling the property. I believe a better alternative is a smaller, entry level home, perhaps with some upgrades made to it for older people's comfort, which should be much easier to sell years later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. The most active old people flock to 55+ communities. Our homes sell in days.

You seem to be another one that thinks we lock the place up and can't leave.

Yep those people playing softball, running, playing tennis, racket ball, are just a step or two above a nursing home.
My experience too. Very active people in my 55+.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:29 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
The homes and condos in our community sell in one or two days. There are relatives and friends of all ages visiting in here regularly, as well as using the pools and golfing.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:01 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
My wife and I are both retired military so we are used to living and working around all ethnicities without even giving it a second thought. I have noticed that in my encounters, there are more white retirees (who don't work at all anymore) than any other ethnicities. I have my own thoughts about this, but it makes you wonder. Where we reside, I would say most of the retirement communities are 75% white.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:14 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
It's what we as human beings should strive for, and should teach our children the same. Good, bad, ugly, pretty comes in all shapes, sizes and colors. Not one should be associated with just one ethnicity. I care.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:06 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I think affordability and proximity to family are the major criteria in choosing a 55+ community for most people.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:58 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I think affordability and proximity to family are the major criteria in choosing a 55+ community for most people.
Money is a factor for many but I don't think proximity to family is a big deal. We have people from every state so I don't think many feel like you do. My closest relative is 2100 miles away.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:04 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
^^^^^This. I find it disturbing that people dwell on minor differences of skin color, and ethnicity instead of focusing on values, and our common interests. Society (Democrats, Media, and Education) has really done a number on us with regards to diversity, and multiculturalism. Who cares is right! If people are kind, law abiding, want good things for their family, and keep a decent property I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR ETHNIC BACKGROUND OR RACE IS!

Old 07-26-2017, 06:23 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^This. I find it disturbing that people dwell on minor differences of skin color, and ethnicity instead of focusing on values, and our common interests. Society (Democrats, Media, and Education) has really done a number on us with regards to diversity, and multiculturalism. Who cares is right! If people are kind, law abiding, want good things for their family, and keep a decent property I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR ETHNIC BACKGROUND OR RACE IS!

Hear Hear! I agree. Diversity did not enter into my thoughts while looking for a retirement place. Because I don't get up in the morning hoping I meet someone diverse or whatever. I just see people as people, before someone decided we all had to agree with whatever they had developed as the perfect social construct. I have reached the point that the political correctness is beyond insanity. It's like environmentalism. My family taught me some basics at an early age - Love God - Love your Neighbor - Do all that you have agreed to do - Do not encroach on the rights of others - and don't throw trash EVEr out of a car window or take things that don't belong to you. With all the diversity talk, I have seen more fragmentation in society in the past decade than I saw in my first 55 years of life. What a sad commentary on progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement