Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Compared to my full-time work income,
my retirement income is (or I expect it to be) less. 82 67.21%
my retirement income is (or I expect it to be) about the same. 23 18.85%
my retirement income is (or I expect it to be) more. 17 13.93%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:29 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,612 times

Advertisements

It's not just income but also expenses. I lived on less than half of what I made so my gross retirement income even though it will be less than work income, the "takehome" retirement income should be higher than my takehome pay from work and with no mortgage in retirement our expenses will be less in retirement than when working so by combining higher takehome and lower expenses finally we should have extra money for the monthly goodies!

Last edited by fumbling; 09-20-2015 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 11:36 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
The poll is no shock. It would be more interesting to poll how much less, maybe in quarters (closest to 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of former or current salary)

Old 09-20-2015, 11:39 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Right I thought the OP was asking in the context of taxable income as a result of taxation and Roth/401/403/Taxable investments during their working years playing out in retirement. This is a difficult thing to ask and zero in on in a broad general forum as many readers and posters aren't very heavily invested nor have pensions etc for their to be much of a difference. Almost eight years in I have come to some realizations about retirement income and taxes. Enjoy the blessing of having the income that distributions are a tax concern as many would love to have your problem. No one wants to pay taxes but sometimes having that problem is comforting.
Specifically about this context I would say I've always been in the 25% bracket while working and more than likely will be in the 15% bracket in retirement but would have more spendable disposable income due to higher takehome retirement income and lower expenses.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:47 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times
Income is less, lots less even with a pension and retirement savings plan. I do not plan on starting to use the retirement savings plan for some years.

But my expenses will be lots less too. Currently I am paying for my home I live in and my retirement home. After retirement I will only have the less expensive of the two to fund. And its in a lower taxed / cost of living location. Hoping to make the money from the sale of the primary residence to pay off the retirement home and live on that extra $ for a while...plus do improvements to the retirement home.

The cash flow will be fine Just less of it...and less expenses.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:08 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Specifically about this context I would say I've always been in the 25% bracket while working and more than likely will be in the 15% bracket in retirement but would have more spendable disposable income due to higher takehome retirement income and lower expenses.
That is the sweet spot taxes aside. Having more disposable income in retirement. Congrats!

Old 09-20-2015, 02:11 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I have said this before. It is not how much you make, it is how much you spend.

Also being debt free really puts you in control.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:14 PM

Not to beat a dead horse but in 2 1/2 years we will get a real big boost in retirement income when I start to collect my age 70 SS benefits add on top of that RMD's and oh well...... As noted in other threads we wanted to stagger our retirement income kicking in. So minimizing taxes is important but because of solid defined benefit income I wanted to construct a known income flow during our 70's and hopefully be well positioned for our age 80's. As I have mentioned before the primary goal was maximum fixed income for the surviving spouse and that is mission accomplished. Oh well as long as I live 2 1/2 more years.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:17 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
I'd say our income is now about the same as it was. That wasn't so at first, but our income increased lately. The difference is that our expenses have gone way down.

What is far more important, IMO, is having access to large-ish sums of cash. This has been a big concern for us at all stages of our lives, not just in retirement. It helps us avoid debt, which we both despise. The ability to withdraw substantial amounts of cash at any time, without penalty, is more important to us than having a higher income. We don't spend our full income, as it is.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I have said this before. It is not how much you make, it is how much you spend.

I would modify that a bit and factor in debt to income ratio. 20k annual retirement income with no debt vs 150K annual income with 15 percent a year debt is a no brainer of a choice to some. I understand your point but the ability to leverage assets in retirement is still a strategy if used properly.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:45 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement