Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 05:45 AM

26 posts, read 27,944 times

Advertisements

I recently found some old picture books that had been stored in the basement of my recently passed mother. There are thousands of pictures from the good old days- 1950s and 1960s. Friends, relatives, neighbors and scenes from the old neighborhood back in quieter and simpler times. Other pictures were from the many family vacations we went on.

I am not usually one to do a lot of crying, but looking at those pictures of the simplier and nicer times during that era, has caused me to shed lots of tears. We never knew how good our life was during that era. I miss it and the nice people in those pictures.

Now that you are retired, what do you think when you look at old pictures from those good old days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 06:48 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,942,564 times
Yup, just about every Thursday on Facebook which is Throw Back Thursday.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:08 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,726,560 times
I smile when I look at them and realize how innocent I was, not necessarily the times.

You may not know it now, but you are living in a good time now and will see it when you look at recent pictures taken in 5-10 years.

I remember when my son was 1 1/2 and I was sad he wasn't a baby anymore. A few years later I looked at those pics taken at 1 1/2 years only to realize he was a still baby then. How did I not see that at the time?

My parents have a framed picture of themselves in the guest room we use when we visit. In the pic they are 59 and 57, newly retired and looking happy and young. Looking at that picture with them in their swimsuits posed on the steps over a sand dune, they looks prime and vital in comparison to their current ages of 91 and 89.

Appreciate the old pictures, but put them away, get out there and get more pictures taken to enjoy again in a few years.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I smile when I look at them and realize how innocent I was, not necessarily the times.

You may not know it now, but you are living in a good time now and will see it when you look at recent pictures taken in 5-10 years.

I remember when my son was 1 1/2 and I was sad he wasn't a baby anymore. A few years later I looked at those pics taken at 1 1/2 years only to realize he was a still baby then. How did I not see that at the time?

My parents have a framed picture of themselves in the guest room we use when we visit. In the pic they are 59 and 57, newly retired and looking happy and young. Looking at that picture with them in their swimsuits posed on the steps over a sand dune, they looks prime and vital in comparison to their current ages of 91 and 89.

Appreciate the old pictures, but put them away, get out there and get more pictures taken to enjoy again in a few years.
Bada Bing!

Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 AM

9,347 posts, read 13,980,872 times
We only think those were more innocent times by looking back in hindsight. People will always have the same instincts and behaviors, just manifest in different ways. I love looking back at old photos, primarily because they do show the good times, and are a stepping off point for good memories. But I try not to romanticize since that often assumes that we cannot improve on today.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
We only think those were more innocent times by looking back in hindsight. People will always have the same instincts and behaviors, just manifest in different ways. I love looking back at old photos, primarily because they do show the good times, and are a stepping off point for good memories. But I try not to romanticize since that often assumes that we cannot improve on today.
So far the last 8 years are shaping up as some of life's best. The pictures from now will be cherished as they are full of grandchildren, landscaping, family, trips, vacations and the beach. Pictures of friends can be a mixed bag as not everyone is handling this stage the same. Just like in this forum. We like you are looking forward to building even better years ahead.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:09 AM

34,902 posts, read 31,006,838 times
I don't have many hard picture albums. My dad has scanned most of the pictures from when I was a child, and I think we've scanned some from the grandparents.

I do get sad when I see some of the pictures, especially of my grandfather who has since passed, but that's the natural order of things. I get more sad when I see pictures of some friends who have committed suicide or died young unnaturally.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:12 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,623,273 times
I only get them out if family comes to visit and wants to see them. What do I think? I feel sad so it's just not enjoyable. I'd rather concentrate on what's going on today and have some fun!

Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,868,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I only get them out if family comes to visit and wants to see them. What do I think? I feel sad so it's just not enjoyable. I'd rather concentrate on what's going on today and have some fun!
That's me too. My grandkids and nieces and nephews are interested in my genealogy 'stuff' and the pics that go along with that. It doesn't make me sad at all but happy that they even care!

Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 AM

496 posts, read 567,304 times
No. I do not look at old pictures. I take new pictures......have a great digital camera. I seldom look at the past as "good old days".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement