U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Kansas City, MO 5 7.81%
Tampa, FL 12 18.75%
Austin, TX 12 18.75%
Olympia, WA 20 31.25%
Other (please specify) 15 23.44%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:51 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,475,201 times

Advertisements

My first thought was Seattle, as we will be moving there.
You know there may be a lot of Chinese people when the local University offers:
Chinese Program at Seattle University
Seattle language lessons - chinese Seattle

Some other things I found on the net:
Home page

China in Seattle
Treasures from a Lost Civilization: Ancient Chinese Art from Sichuan

Asia Times Online :: China News, China Business News, Taiwan and Hong Kong News and Business.

Chinese Philosophy :: Seattle Chinese Garden

Government website info is often given in Chinese:
Seattle.gov - Chinese Language Information on Seattle.Gov

SCAC Home

Join a Chinese Language & Culture Meetup near Seattle:
Chinese Speakers, Chinese Language & Culture Meetups, events, clubs and groups near Seattle, Washington

Seattle Art Museum: Press Release

Chinese Antique Fraud Alleged in Seattle, Hong Kong

I have read that Tacoma is not a nice area:
Asian American Curriculum & Research Project - Chinese in Seattle-Tacoma Photographs

I have left out the food and health establishments, but the Seattle area might be a fun place for them to, at least, consider a visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 11:39 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,650,182 times
Of the four, I would pick Olympia. I'm not close to retiring yet, but one thing I feel I've noticed over the last few years is that the current (Baby Boom) generation that is retiring seem to be branching out from the "traditional" sunbelt retirement destinations such as Arizona and Florida. More and more it seems that seniors are looking for nice communities where they can still have an active lifestyle. As a result, places like Montana, Washington, Oregon, and areas in the southern appalachians (Western NC and North Georgia), all places with four seasons, are becoming more popular retirement destinations. I guess a big questions is what are your dad's hobbies? I would then try to pick a city that is compatible with those hobbies.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:27 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,602,561 times
They do plan to do quite a bit of traveling, so being close to a major airport with direct flights to both Asia and Europe is preferable.

Seattle would be a great choice, but it's a bit pricier than Olympia, any areas we should check out when we fly out to WA this July?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 AM

11,879 posts, read 32,908,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
They do plan to do quite a bit of traveling, so being close to a major airport with direct flights to both Asia and Europe is preferable.
Atlanta has a large Chinese, Vietnamese, and Korean community (5 Korean newspapers and several shopping centers that cater exclusively to the Far East community, for example). Plus Georgia has very low taxes, mild weather, and the largest airport in the world with non-stop flights to cities around the world, including the Far East.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:23 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,719,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Atlanta has a large Chinese, Vietnamese, and Korean community (5 Korean newspapers and several shopping centers that cater exclusively to the Far East community, for example). Plus Georgia has very low taxes, mild weather, and the largest airport in the world with non-stop flights to cities around the world, including the Far East.
LOL, they say when you go to heaven, you still have a layover in Atlanta!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:30 PM

11,879 posts, read 32,908,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
LOL, they say when you go to heaven, you still have a layover in Atlanta!
Or even if you go to the other place!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:46 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,712,645 times
out of those you have on the poll, Austin has the largest Chinese community but is more of a young people town.
I voted for Olympia but that is because I didn't know you wanted a large Chinese community. Olympia does have an fair amount of Chinese but Austin is a little over 1% Chinese.
Here are several suggestions:
College Station, Texas- about 2.3% Chinese...not Asian...CHINESE.
An outer Suburb of Dallas or Houston... Specifically Sugar Land and Plano both with large Chinese populations.
Galveston Texas- Chinese population similar of that to Olympia
Midland Michigan- Nice Summer...My dad grew up there... He is Chinese... One of the few areas in Michigan not in decline... Both my Chinese grandparents live there.
IF you mean a city with a Chinatown... then Austin would win that... Unless you would go to Plano or Sugarland...
out of your list only Austin and Olympia even have a significant Chinese population.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:03 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,475,201 times
You might want to check out the crime rate, too, before making a decision.

I was once using safety as one of my main criteria and found out that police in states are under no obligation to report their crime stats to the federal government. The large city that was number one one my 'must see' list ended up with a crime rate that placed it on the very bottom.

It is useful, too, to find local forums of the place, often run by local newspapers. Although it is a complaint attractor, you will get some knowledge of the issues, and politics and crimes.

This is a site with a pretty good grasp on taxes, though it is not always up to date, so double check: Taxes by State

You will probably be happy with this information, which mirrors some recommendations made here, but also gives you numbers: List of U.S. cities with large Chinese American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might want to look up Belleview, Washington in wikipedia.
THere is an international airport nearby.
Washington has no income tax.
The property tax is about half of my current state of residence.
They do have a high sales tax.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:49 AM

34,682 posts, read 33,681,492 times
How do you define "best" for this poll?

Old 02-01-2008, 03:37 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,602,561 times
Best for them means

-A Chinese community of respectable size (and I'm not talking about a Chinatown here either, though if there is one, that would be great too)
-A major airport nearby with regular flights to Asia (specifically to Singapore and China) and Europe
-mild winter

I looked at the Wiki list; Bellevue, WA and Sugar Land, TX both sound interesting, I'll pass those on to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement