U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Kansas City, MO 5 7.81%
Tampa, FL 12 18.75%
Austin, TX 12 18.75%
Olympia, WA 20 31.25%
Other (please specify) 15 23.44%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,720,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
Best for them means

-A Chinese community of respectable size (and I'm not talking about a Chinatown here either, though if there is one, that would be great too)
-A major airport nearby with regular flights to Asia (specifically to Singapore and China) and Europe
-mild winter

I looked at the Wiki list; Bellevue, WA and Sugar Land, TX both sound interesting, I'll pass those on to them.
Houston, Like Dallas and Atlanta do have direct flight to Asia...but none to China... I wish they did, they were going to have one from DFW to Beijing but that got shot down due to the trip being to long of a distance... IMO they should do what they do for the Direct flight from LA to Manila, which is a 40 minute stop at Guam to re-fuel... then it doesn't count as a direct flight though.
Dallas and Atlanta have a direct flight to Seoul, and Houston to Manila (possibly).... all 3 have direct flights to Tokyo I believe.
I think all three have flights to Europe, I know DFW and Atlanta do, so Houston should.
From What I know DFW has direct flights to: Paris, London, Amsterdam (starting in march I think), and Frankfurt?...
Atlanta I know for sure has Paris and London but I haven't gone to Europe.
I'm not sure seattle has direct flight to europe, Houston does I think and if it doesn't its a really short Plane to DFW... I mean like 30-40 minuets.
Houston has a nice Chinatown, and Sugar Land is a Suburb of Houston, it probably has a better Chinatown then Seattle (Bellevue)...as it actually has an official Chinatown and Seattle has an Asian district which is divided between several sect but I'm sure both will suit you fine.
Houston's Chinese population (also Dallas') is hugely influenced by Vietnamese (Dallas more Korean and Vietnamese) but if you're from OC or SD that should be anything but a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 01:05 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,297,160 times
Bellevue, WA is an upper middle class eastern suburb of Seattle. Very pleasant & quite large Asian (specifically Chinese) community. I think anywhere around the Seattle area will have a pretty decent Asian populace incl. Olympia. less than California but more than other places in the U.S. As the previous poster mentioned, Seattle does not have a Chinatown in the comparable terms as the ones in LA, San Fran, etc. but an "Asian district." There are many Asian-food grocery stores & authentic Asian restaurants here though in outlying areas. Have you been to Vancouver, BC? That city has a huge Asian (esp. Chinese) population & presence- I think proportionately more than even San Fran bay area.

With your specified "best for them" needs, again Tampa, FL will not meet them- I doubt there's any direct flight from Tampa to anywhere in Asia, and the Asian population is nil. I didn't see any Asian supermarkets or truly authentic Asian restaurants there. Instead, they like to lump "Japanese-Chinese-Thai" restaurants under the same roof in Florida as a whole! (Coming from Seattle & having lived in Southern California, I know not to go to such places)! I love Panda Express myself but that's the Chinese Restaurant most prominent in Tampa. However, there are some pleasant communities northeast of Atlanta (Gwinnett County) that have a surprising number of Asian-Americans & authentic Asian establishments (mostly Korean or Vietnamese). And those places are more reasonably priced than on the West Coast, and honestly Atlanta's weather is better than Seattle all year except in the summer. It's far more racially segregated though.

Last edited by f1000; 02-02-2008 at 01:14 AM..

Old 02-02-2008, 02:45 AM

8,306 posts, read 11,153,050 times
Smile Sugarland; Orlando

My brother lives in Sugarland with his Taiwanese-born wife and her parents stay with them at least half the year because they like the weather (!) which doesn't say much for Taiwan but they find their needs are met re: right kind of groceries, air transport. My former boss married a Viet lady with children and investigated OK, Austin and I forget where else because access to an Asian community and groceries was important, and they ended up in Oveido, a suburb of Orlando. Florida of course has its own set of issues involving the volatile RE market. Best of luck to them!!

Old 02-02-2008, 04:25 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,720,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Bellevue, WA is an upper middle class eastern suburb of Seattle. Very pleasant & quite large Asian (specifically Chinese) community. I think anywhere around the Seattle area will have a pretty decent Asian populace incl. Olympia. less than California but more than other places in the U.S. As the previous poster mentioned, Seattle does not have a Chinatown in the comparable terms as the ones in LA, San Fran, etc. but an "Asian district." There are many Asian-food grocery stores & authentic Asian restaurants here though in outlying areas. Have you been to Vancouver, BC? That city has a huge Asian (esp. Chinese) population & presence- I think proportionately more than even San Fran bay area.

With your specified "best for them" needs, again Tampa, FL will not meet them- I doubt there's any direct flight from Tampa to anywhere in Asia, and the Asian population is nil. I didn't see any Asian supermarkets or truly authentic Asian restaurants there. Instead, they like to lump "Japanese-Chinese-Thai" restaurants under the same roof in Florida as a whole! (Coming from Seattle & having lived in Southern California, I know not to go to such places)! I love Panda Express myself but that's the Chinese Restaurant most prominent in Tampa. However, there are some pleasant communities northeast of Atlanta (Gwinnett County) that have a surprising number of Asian-Americans & authentic Asian establishments (mostly Korean or Vietnamese). And those places are more reasonably priced than on the West Coast, and honestly Atlanta's weather is better than Seattle all year except in the summer. It's far more racially segregated though.
Well said, I believe Seattle has direct flights to Asia right? if not, you can take a quick flight to Vancouver it does for sure...
I like those combo restaurants, we have some here and there... we actually have one that combines Indian, Thai, Chinese, and Vietnamese. it is actually surprisingly popular with Asians.
I too love panda express, authentic Chinese food is really good but I could NOT stand a week eating from Chinese restaurants that really were like the restaurants in china...ugh...
as for Taiwan being like Houston...mmm...yeah...like the Gulf coast and east Texas with Mountains and more rain possibly...
Florida does not have a very strong Asian population, but Miami probably has the strongest.
I would actually Recommend Plano in the DFW metroplex, Bellevue, Sugar Land, Austin, or maybe even Portland (1.4% Chinese)...just a thought though...
Austin's chinatown is fairly new though, as it was declared as so not too long ago. Plano has one, but they're 2 in DFW...neither declared as such...probably due to that fact they're in suburbs...They are fairly big
sugar land doesn't have one I believe but like I mentioned Houston does
Portland does have one as well...

Old 02-02-2008, 07:56 PM

20,871 posts, read 36,023,332 times
Kansas City is on the poll list? ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2008, 12:55 AM

3 posts, read 7,380 times
Default Tezza Downunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
Unfortunately I still have 20-30 years left before I can think even think about retirement, but my father has 3 months left before he retires from the Post Office after 20 years.

Both my parents have also decided to move out California, I'm trying to help narrow down their choices, so which of these cities do you think would be suited towards retirees? Why did they choose a large or even a city to retire in some might ask? It's because they don't really feel comfortable living in an area without a good sized Chinese community, and real estate prices in these areas are affordable from what we've seen.

And are there any other places we should look into?
If your father is considering an alternative city or Country to retire in, and he is hell bent on rubbing shoulders with asians as a way of life., well give this some thought.

Surfers Paradise in the State of Queensland ,Australia is a tinsel glammed up place that attracts retirees who seek to get an eyefull of bikini clad young bimbos and at the same time must refer to translation booklets converting English to Japanese in order to strike up a conversation in the general public domain. The area is loaded with Asian restaurants and Asian tourists. In fact, if you had just come out of a coma, you would assume that you were in some golden sanded beach area in Tokyo. (If that was possible)

Old 03-24-2008, 06:18 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,168,425 times
From what you've given, the obvious best place is Singapore! There is no place in the US that has the utopian conditions of Singapore.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,462,459 times
Stay away from New Mexico! It is too Hispanic, too insular and too dry for anyone from California. So stay away until I pick up some property while it is still cheap enough to afford.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM

8,241 posts, read 18,540,091 times
ha. ha. Greg. And, wait until I can buy a few acres, too.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-27-2008, 12:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,697 posts, read 40,084,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
From what you've given, the obvious best place is Singapore! There is no place in the US that has the utopian conditions of Singapore.
That gets my vote... When we lived there the 'ladies-night-out' was a monthly trip to Hong Kong, Shanghai, or Beijing, occasionally Bangkok... & it sure beats Olympia !!

but... If you have to live in US (why?)... I was in Las Vegas today and they have a pretty big China Town, and pretty good Asian connections and cheap flights to most places,

I would look at Portland too, they have some direct flights, and it is a heck of a lot easier to get to the airport than Oly. but... State income tax with a low threshold for retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement