U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Kansas City, MO 5 7.81%
Tampa, FL 12 18.75%
Austin, TX 12 18.75%
Olympia, WA 20 31.25%
Other (please specify) 15 23.44%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:57 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,498,481 times

Advertisements

You would also need to know if your parents would be interested in living in the type of climate that the Northwest has. Believe me climate is important when its the type that exists here. I know I have been ready to jump a plane out of here all week, Between the snow, rain, sleet, hail and wind, its getting old this year and there is at least 3 more monts or so of rain and gloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 08:52 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,490,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
That gets my vote... When we lived there the 'ladies-night-out' was a monthly trip to Hong Kong, Shanghai, or Beijing, occasionally Bangkok... & it sure beats Olympia !!

but... If you have to live in US (why?)... I was in Las Vegas today and they have a pretty big China Town, and pretty good Asian connections and cheap flights to most places,

I would look at Portland too, they have some direct flights, and it is a heck of a lot easier to get to the airport than Oly. but... State income tax with a low threshold for retirees.
Vancouver, Wa is just a short bit away from Portland on the map, and Wa has no income tax. They do have a sales tax, but Portland does not. If money were a consideration, live in Vancouver and make all your big purchases in Portland.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:34 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,684,232 times
Default Taxation of Federal Pensions

States Exempting Total Amount of Federal Annuities

Alabama
Hawaii
Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky - Restriction
Louisiana
Massachusetts - Restriction
Michigan
Mississippi
New York
North Carolina - Restriction
Oregon - Restriction
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Wisconsin - Restriction

States with No Personal Income Tax

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
New Hampshire - Restriction
South Dakota
Tennessee - Restriction
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

Old 03-30-2008, 08:01 AM

If you google 'retirement living', and go into the site, you will find on the first column, third item down, taxes by state.

Although you should always check witht the actual state's site, this is the most inclusive listing I have found for comparing the various taxes and income exemptions, state by state.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:24 AM

13,324 posts, read 25,582,469 times
I know more than a few people who find the grey, long season in the PNW increasingly intolerable. The only answer has been to move away.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:08 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,525,807 times
I think that is what is a little off-putting about Portland. I would love it in the spring & summer, but not so sure about the long cold rainy winters.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-30-2008, 05:19 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,056,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I think that is what is a little off-putting about Portland. I would love it in the spring & summer, but not so sure about the long cold rainy winters.
Do test live there in Dec-Feb for a month or so to see what it is really like. That's what I intend to do. Every time I've spent a week there in winter, the sun came out at least once.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,282,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
Unfortunately I still have 20-30 years left before I can think even think about retirement, but my father has 3 months left before he retires from the Post Office after 20 years.

Both my parents have also decided to move out California, I'm trying to help narrow down their choices, so which of these cities do you think would be suited towards retirees? Why did they choose a large or even a city to retire in some might ask? It's because they don't really feel comfortable living in an area without a good sized Chinese community, and real estate prices in these areas are affordable from what we've seen.

And are there any other places we should look into?
i woud HIGHLY recommend the westside of the indianapolis,indiana the retirement communities there have been nationally recognized for their efforts to help the elderly

Old 04-01-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I know more than a few people who find the grey, long season in the PNW increasingly intolerable. The only answer has been to move away.
Have people tried full spectrum lighting, or at least those new, greener, fluorescents? Oh, and taking vitamins A&D to replace the lack of sunshine.

There are even 'light boxes' sold for people with seasonal affective disorder. I think you need exposure for only a few minutes per day.

Of course, this may help you but not everyone else.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:34 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,640,319 times
I am wondering why Olympia, Washington is so popular vs. Eugene, Oregon? Has anyone spent time or lived in Eugene?

It is supposedly fabulous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement