U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Kansas City, MO 5 7.81%
Tampa, FL 12 18.75%
Austin, TX 12 18.75%
Olympia, WA 20 31.25%
Other (please specify) 15 23.44%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,602,410 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I still have 20-30 years left before I can think even think about retirement, but my father has 3 months left before he retires from the Post Office after 20 years.

Both my parents have also decided to move out California, I'm trying to help narrow down their choices, so which of these cities do you think would be suited towards retirees? Why did they choose a large or even a city to retire in some might ask? It's because they don't really feel comfortable living in an area without a good sized Chinese community, and real estate prices in these areas are affordable from what we've seen.

And are there any other places we should look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 01:38 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,288,128 times
Consider suburbs of Seattle for good living standards & larger than average Chinese enclaves. (Vancouver, Canada 2.5 hours north has huge Asian populations & nice living standards too but it's in another country so not sure about retirement options)
Las Vegas will also fulfill some of the concerns you listed, although life may be similar to CA which may be good or bad.

Now that I see your poll...Olympia, WA is a pleasant small city south of Seattle. Of those options I'd recommend that place. Forget about Tampa, FL if they want to be around alot of Asians. It is not at all a "retirement haven" as people always initially think.

If they like the South, they should consider the northeastern suburbs of Atlanta or certan areas of Houston or Dallas if they are concerned about the size of the Asian-American community (although far smaller than on the West Coast). Austin has a great reputation though, too for good living standards.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:41 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
Have they looked at Sun City or Sun City West in Arizona. It doesnt get much more gray-haired than that. lol Not many Chinese people at all though.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:06 PM

2,073 posts, read 4,950,257 times
Olympia, WA would actually be a good option I think. Obviously it's not a real popular one like somewhere in AZ, or FL ... but I think it would be nice for someone who is getting older because there is no extreme weather.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:08 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,602,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Have they looked at Sun City or Sun City West in Arizona. It doesnt get much more gray-haired than that. lol Not many Chinese people at all though.
That's in the Phoenix area right? After spending 2 years at ASU, I kinda steered them away from anything near Phoenix or Arizona in general.

Quote:
Forget about Tampa, FL if they want to be around alot of Asians. It is not at all a "retirement haven" as people always initially think.
I'm curious, what's the real deal on Tampa. I've read several publications who proclaim it as the best city for retirement.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:14 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
That's in the Phoenix area right? After spending 2 years at ASU, I kinda steered them away from anything near Phoenix or Arizona in general.
Yes, theyre in the Valley. But since you dont want them living there.... .... Id go with Tampa on your list (warm year round, lots to do, etc).

Old 01-29-2008, 02:39 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,715,256 times
Do NOT come to Florida!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:13 PM

11,290 posts, read 7,876,170 times
Las Cruces NM is rated very highly:

Las Cruces awards and recognition

Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 PM

942 posts, read 1,066,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Consider suburbs of Seattle for good living standards & larger than average Chinese enclaves. (Vancouver, Canada 2.5 hours north has huge Asian populations & nice living standards too but it's in another country so not sure about retirement options)
Las Vegas will also fulfill some of the concerns you listed, although life may be similar to CA which may be good or bad.

Now that I see your poll...Olympia, WA is a pleasant small city south of Seattle. Of those options I'd recommend that place. Forget about Tampa, FL if they want to be around alot of Asians. It is not at all a "retirement haven" as people always initially think.

If they like the South, they should consider the northeastern suburbs of Atlanta or certan areas of Houston or Dallas if they are concerned about the size of the Asian-American community (although far smaller than on the West Coast). Austin has a great reputation though, too for good living standards.
I have to agree Tampa definitely does not have a large Asian populace.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:48 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,288,128 times
Quote:

I'm curious, what's the real deal on Tampa. I've read several publications who proclaim it as the best city for retirement.
You'll see what I mean if you go to Tampa. If your parents are set on a hotspot retirement place, I'd think San Diego would be a better bet.

And Olympia, WA actually has more going on for it than people may think. It's the state capital, about 1 to 1.5 hours from Seattle depending on traffic, lots of greenery & scenery, the weather is wet but overall mild, and has a decent size Asian American populace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement