Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 06:14 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times

Advertisements

I come from a long line of house-proud folks, so cleaning is part of my DNA. Each generation's idea of cleanliness has become more diluted though. You cannot eat off the corner floors like in my grandmother's house and I have never done the bi-weekly spring cleaning like my Mom did when she was younger. I like clean but not to an obsession.

I have a morning routine of getting things in order as the water comes to a boil for tea/coffee and then the brew time. Most things are like that. I earn my leisure time and enjoy it more if I know there isn't a job waiting to be done. Chores first, fun after works for me.

Since retiring the amount of chores hasn't changed but having more time to do them has made it easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 08:12 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
This depends on your definion of chores whether they are routine or disagreeable tasks. It's the former for me. I typically enjoy the fruits of my labor so I don't mind doing household 'chores' when I have the time. I'm the kind of person who can not sit still so the only wasted time and energy activities to me would be something like watching sitcom T.V. or yakking on the phones ;-).

So the question that I have for retirees who stop doing some household chores is why?: Because they are not needed? because they have become too physically demanding? Because you would rather doing something else? If so, what would you rather be doing? Because you think you have saved enough money so now it's the time to pay someone to do the work? Because you think retirement is the time to just kick back, relax, enjoy your coffee, your margarita and let someone else to do all the work? etc.?
All of them.
I am an active person and have many interests. I would rather read ( which i often do while watching TV) write, meet friends, hike, etc. than my chores, routine or otherwise. i don't enjoy doing any of them but i don't mind some of them like making the bed, tidying up, cook and shop, laundry. i don't like yard work, garage cleaning, or even to go into the basement to organize or get rid of small animials that come in somehow and die.

If you can afford it yes, i believe in letting someone else do it and pay them fairly for it. Why not? I deeply appreciate the work my helpers do for me.

Talking on the phone with my sisters, children, grandchildren is a pleasure and i don't get to do it as often as i would like and should because, yes, the damn chores keep me from them - paying bills, getting service people to do something, appointments, constant chores.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:18 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Absolutely!
I've never been able to understand the idea of 'spring cleaning' for instance.
I will admit though, that if there is a 'project'.....like a really thorough cleaning of the entire refrigerator or defrosting the freezer,(I prefer non-frost free freezers) or windows....I do do windows there is at least a sense of accomplishment
i love opening my fridge which is clean, decluttered, and organized, so i like doing that. same with closets and drawers - declutter, organize.
windows are a necessity because i like the light coming in and want a clear view. but they get dirty too soon again.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:49 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
The no ironing threads always make me smile. I quilt and sew and embroider -- therefore I iron. In fact -- I have a back up iron in case my good iron goes bad.

However.... my ironing board is never up. I made a pressing board. It's a flat 24" square, covered in a thick terry towel sewn together like a pillow case, and a cotton fabric case over that. I can remove the cases for washing.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:34 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post

So the question that I have for retirees who stop doing some household chores is why?: Because they are not needed? because they have become too physically demanding? Because you would rather doing something else? If so, what would you rather be doing? Because you think you have saved enough money so now it's the time to pay someone to do the work? Because you think retirement is the time to just kick back, relax, enjoy your coffee, your margarita and let someone else to do all the work? etc.?
In retirement, you keep getting older, physical abilities tend to decline. With a more limited amount of energy now, I prefer to do things I like, and that don't cause pain the next day. I gave up a big part of yard work a couple of years ago. Now I have enough energy to work out, which is a lot more fun.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:50 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
I have given up cooking since my DH retired and commented its now just the two of us so why cook....That was the end of my cooking.

I do like to fix my bed every day and it's been 45 years I don;t press clothes.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:30 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I come from a long line of house-proud folks, so cleaning is part of my DNA. Each generation's idea of cleanliness has become more diluted though. You cannot eat off the corner floors like in my grandmother's house and I have never done the bi-weekly spring cleaning like my Mom did when she was younger. I like clean but not to an obsession.

I have a morning routine of getting things in order as the water comes to a boil for tea/coffee and then the brew time. Most things are like that. I earn my leisure time and enjoy it more if I know there isn't a job waiting to be done. Chores first, fun after works for me.

Since retiring the amount of chores hasn't changed but having more time to do them has made it easier.
How big was the house your granma cleaned? I know one lady would kick herself because she didn't wash her windows weekly like her mom.

I asked her how many windows did granma wash - turns out to be 7 windows! She had maybe 20. Big difference.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:03 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Chores - which ones have you decided to let go?

Am I the only old geezer who's first thought was sex?

Old 10-12-2015, 05:41 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
How big was the house your granma cleaned? I know one lady would kick herself because she didn't wash her windows weekly like her mom.

I asked her how many windows did granma wash - turns out to be 7 windows! She had maybe 20. Big difference.
It was an average sized house of the time, not the huge average one of today. They built their own home after having a large house where they took in boarders, like teachers, for years and she worked long hours in a canning factory in the summer. She was a busy woman, my memories of her are a clean house, even the basement was immaculate, and having fresh blackberry pies cooling on the Hoosier cabinet.

I think one of the reasons I do chores before pleasure comes from her. On Christmas Eve she would make a huge dinner for the family with presents opened afterward. No presents were opened until every last dish, piece of silverware was washed, dried, put away and the kitchen and dining room sparkling clean and tidy. Oh the agony for a kid, it seemed to take a lifetime! The anticipation was like no other though. I guess I recreate that a little each day.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:23 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
I do minimal housework

Bh doesn't help, so I'd rather do things I want to do before I die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement