Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:01 PM

7,033 posts, read 6,282,940 times

Advertisements

I was going to wait until I got home but just wanted to share some things. What a thrill it has been for me to do this. It is the first time I've driven so far since the accident. The first time I've set up hotel rooms since then. The first time I have not been scared to drive. What a thrill it has been to navigate the highway systems. Of course, I would not have been able to do it without my Garmin (GPS) but how wonderful it has been! I'm still on my last leg, 158 miles from home but I am just full of pride right now. I did it! After such a long time of being afraid to drive, I am practically dancing in the streets right now. Yahoo!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 01:51 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,894,251 times
How great to read a post like this original post. Good for you, Meo! You did not acquiesce in letting your back injury become a permanent limitation. I say that knowing that it may not be an option for some with back injuries - I'm just saying I like your attitude. I, too, still like road trips, although it's been a little over a year since I was on one. (This past summer I flew somewhere instead).

I was in Branson about three years ago for the first time in my life. I took in four or five shows and really enjoyed them, but in addition to the entertainment there is something special about that place. The entertainers make themselves available to talk to folks during intermission and they were so incredibly friendly and warm. I know it's good PR for the place, but it seemed so genuine - I just don't think that many people can be acting a part. Another nice perk about going to Branson was having breakfast with Curmudgeon, who still remains the only City-Data poster whom I have met in person. (He gave me permission to mention that).

Old 10-10-2015, 02:35 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,221 times
Woohoo! That's exciting news Can hardly wait for you to reach home and give us an update on your thoughts about the Branson area. I had an aunt and uncle who had retired to Hollister (just outside of Branson) and they loved it there, especially the fishing!

The one time I traveled to Branson, I got motion sickness - all the going up and down those mountains

Old 10-10-2015, 06:18 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,959,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I was going to wait until I got home but just wanted to share some things. What a thrill it has been for me to do this. It is the first time I've driven so far since the accident. The first time I've set up hotel rooms since then. The first time I have not been scared to drive. What a thrill it has been to navigate the highway systems. Of course, I would not have been able to do it without my Garmin (GPS) but how wonderful it has been! I'm still on my last leg, 158 miles from home but I am just full of pride right now. I did it! After such a long time of being afraid to drive, I am practically dancing in the streets right now. Yahoo!!!
Great news that you could go it alone. We liked traveling through mid- and southern-Missouri when we lived there. I attended a writers' conference once not far from Branson. (I'm not into shows so didn't go into the city.) It was in the fall and the landscape was full of color, foliage better than New England. Curious why you went there (maybe you posted?); are you thinking of Branson for relocation?

Old 10-10-2015, 09:16 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,670,772 times
Must be a great thing to overcome, I just noticed that you live in Fergus Falls, my favorite Minnesota town. Love the Lake area and the cool streets with those huge trees acting as a canopy. I'll add this as a memory of the drive from Minneapolis to Fergus Falls, worst tailgating drivers ever at speeds that made me laugh at the notion of L.A. traffic being a holy terror. Midwest drivers are some of the worst offenders with regard to civility..

Old 10-10-2015, 02:33 PM

18,702 posts, read 33,355,095 times
Meo, how liberating to feel good about driving, congratulations! Good to hear.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:27 PM

7,033 posts, read 6,282,940 times
It was very liberating. I used Choice for hotel reservations & there was only one motel in Kansas City, Missouri that was not good. All the others were good. I took my time coming back.
I was looking at the Branson area for retirement & pretty much decided it would be a great vacation spot but thinking more on Tennessee. I will visit Knoxville in the spring to check it out.
It's exciting to me that I was able to do this. I'm home now & finally able to take pain pills (I don't take them if I'm going to drive). I'm still grinning at what I accomplished.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:36 PM

18,702 posts, read 33,355,095 times
^^^^
Keep it up!

Old 10-10-2015, 11:52 PM

5,571 posts, read 6,492,967 times
Meo, so happy for you, especially that you did it alone! I never did any long distance car traveling alone until 2012, and can count on one hand the LD trips I have made since, but I love it. Went to Branson in 2012 with my niece when I was moving back to Michigan from Texas. (I lasted less than 5 months in Michigan before returning to Texas, driving back alone with my dog). Stayed at the LaQuinta on the main drag across the street from Applebees. Saw "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" at one of the theatres, and ate at a "soda fountain" type diner. My niece drove through the mountains and I loved being able to see the views. Congrats on your solo trip, I give you "high fives".

Old 10-12-2015, 11:11 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,453,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Meo, so happy for you, especially that you did it alone! I never did any long distance car traveling alone until 2012, and can count on one hand the LD trips I have made since, but I love it. Went to Branson in 2012 with my niece when I was moving back to Michigan from Texas. (I lasted less than 5 months in Michigan before returning to Texas, driving back alone with my dog). Stayed at the LaQuinta on the main drag across the street from Applebees. Saw "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" at one of the theatres, and ate at a "soda fountain" type diner. My niece drove through the mountains and I loved being able to see the views. Congrats on your solo trip, I give you "high fives".
In 2009 we stayed where Meo stayed on our trip out to decide if we liked it in the area and then look for a house when we did like it. When we drove out to close on the house we selected about 21 miles south of Branson and on the shore of Table Rock Lake we spent about five days in the same La Quinta because the original hotel didn't accept pets - we brought along two rescue cats - and had a good stay. We've also seen "Joseph" and it was excellent.

Meo, so glad you had a good trip. For the record, there's more to the Ozarks than Branson. By the way, I attended a military prep-school in Minnesota for high school. Thankfully I returned to the left coast every summer so I missed having to deal with the mosquito population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement