Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:43 PM

2,766 posts, read 2,070,796 times

Advertisements

Not directed at anyone in particular but...Why does everyone keep bringing up EGGS!! Who cares? Ooooo, they went from $1.99 a dozen to $3.99 a dozen, thats a 100 PERCENT INCREASE! I need my SS doubled! The sky is falling!!! Its freaking two bucks! How many eggs do you people use a week??? I only buy free range no hormone eggs, so they have always been more expensive, and they didn't double. Not an issue. My health is more important than saving $4 a month. I'm afraid to say that I toss most of the yolks anyway...what a spendthrift I am....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 02:08 AM

106,082 posts, read 108,054,666 times
well not that is an issue for us but i eat 2 eggs every single day . being on a diabetic diet has me living on breakfasts of eggs , peanut butter and yogurt daily .

my other meals are all varied but breakfast is pretty much the same . so we must use about 18 eggs a week between the 2 of us .

Old 11-01-2015, 06:55 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,785,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well not that is an issue for us but i eat 2 eggs every single day . being on a diabetic diet has me living on breakfasts of eggs , peanut butter and yogurt daily .

my other meals are all varied but breakfast is pretty much the same . so we must use about 18 eggs a week between the 2 of us .
I think you are helping Perry make his point. The current spike in egg prices is only costing you about $3 a week and you are consuming more eggs than most. I think the other thing to consider is that it is a spike. Egg prices have always had wild swings. Ground beef went up for several years and is ridiculous right now, but hasn't moved much in the last year.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:08 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,942,564 times
Quote:

Breakfast is our for sure big meal of the day and unless we have to get out early usually takes 1 1/2-2 hours of prep and consumption. Understand this is a leisurely two hours and includes coffee/tea, reading Perhaps watching some of the late night shows we missed. It often unless we are going out takes us 3-4 hours to get up and into the day including showers etc. We have our set breakfast menu which includes one egg each and a variety of other assorted nutritious foods plus and we will be darn if inflation will deter us.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:11 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,942,564 times
Quote:

Apple Cider Vinegar and Your Health

If interested you want Braggs unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar with the mother.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,253,512 times
I charge $3/doz for my eggs. That covers the cost of feed/egg cartons.
I've gone from $1 to $2 to now $3 because the cost of feed has gone up over the years.
Not in it for a profit; I like raising chickens and I just charge enough to cover the operating costs.

I have 1 or 2 eggs every day for breakfast.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:36 AM

5,946 posts, read 5,093,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I charge $3/doz for my eggs. That covers the cost of feed/egg cartons.
I've gone from $1 to $2 to now $3 because the cost of feed has gone up over the years.
Not in it for a profit; I like raising chickens and I just charge enough to cover the operating costs.

I have 1 or 2 eggs every day for breakfast.

I like eggs, too. These "studies" that are done every so often that tell us certain foods will kill us make me crazy. I do not expect to live forever and if there is a food I especially like, I'm going to eat it. I do know enough to not eat a lot of processed foods, sugar, etc.

Regarding the price increase of eggs...... I still think they are a good deal. Anyone checked the prices on beef lately???

I have to ask this question, HappyTexan, because I've heard others say what you said: what enjoyment is there in raising chickens? I'm just curious.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I like eggs, too. These "studies" that are done every so often that tell us certain foods will kill us make me crazy. I do not expect to live forever and if there is a food I especially like, I'm going to eat it. I do know enough to not eat a lot of processed foods, sugar, etc.

Regarding the price increase of eggs...... I still think they are a good deal. Anyone checked the prices on beef lately???

I have to ask this question, HappyTexan, because I've heard others say what you said: what enjoyment is there in raising chickens? I'm just curious.
Ever had a set of parakeets at home ?
Just like that only they are bigger and live outside.
They all have personalities and when you are the bearer of food come running when they see you.
And they are funny to watch. One girl finds a bug and announces it and when all the others come she picks the bug up and runs away with all the others chasing her is one example.

They are easy to care for..food, shelter and protection unlike some of the larger livestock.

I also have 3 donkeys which need very little tending..Buddy, Elvis and Patsy.
When I go for walks in the pasture they follow behind me. All I'm missing is my flute

Old 11-01-2015, 09:54 AM

42,757 posts, read 26,015,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ever had a set of parakeets at home ?
Just like that only they are bigger and live outside.
They all have personalities and when you are the bearer of food come running when they see you.
And they are funny to watch. One girl finds a bug and announces it and when all the others come she picks the bug up and runs away with all the others chasing her is one example.
They are easy to care for..food, shelter and protection unlike some of the larger livestock.
Yep, chickens are delightful- did you name yours? We did - Ava, Bella, Carmen, Dharma, Eva, Fiona Occasionally all 6 of ours try to get into the same nesting box - you should see them try to squeeze in, four will fit (barely) so the remaining two stand outside the box and shove their heads inside

Old 11-01-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yep, chickens are delightful- did you name yours? We did - Ava, Bella, Carmen, Dharma, Eva, Fiona Occasionally all 6 of ours try to get into the same nesting box - you should see them try to squeeze in, four will fit (barely) so the remaining two stand outside the box and shove their heads inside
No because they all look alike. Only named roosters over the years..Bubba, Little Bubba and George.
I always get Buff Orpingtons, day old chicks and raise them myself.

All mine look like this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement