Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:03 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This whole thread is N/A.

We are on the cusp of a deflationary disaster.
Perhaps overstated but certain more of a concern than inflation right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 08:08 AM

Has this now become a income restricted discussion? Can't a higher income person also articulate the need and desire to be frugal and mindful of their spending? Perhaps that is the thinking that has put them in the position they are currently in. Kudos to anyone who has successfully traveled their working years and are not counted in the retirement crisis that is so often discussed here there and everywhere.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:29 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you are in the high six figures (what are you making? $500k+/year), what does a dozen eggs that was once $3 going up 7% do to you? They're now $.21 more - the horror!
I wrote that wrong and was unable to go and edit it, but we make under 200K per year, but still comfortable by LOTS of standards.

It might interest you to know MANY of us that have worked hard, educated ourselves and done everything we can to be an ASSET VS BURDEN to society as a whole are still worried and want to ensure that what we have LEFT after paying taxes and such on our income are THRIFTY with what we have earned and managed to keep. I have NO need to impress others with "toys/things/objects". I shop thrifty, donate regularly and do all I can to be a GOOD person with the income God has allowed us to earn.

We COULD afford a home 5X the price of the one we are in, but the one we have we LOVE and are so very comfortable in....why bother????

Yes, I want the money WE have earned and WE have saved to benefit those people that WE choose after everyone we are FORCED to support with our taxes. We have an adult child who, because of actions SHE chose, gotten herself into a bind. Could we write the check (again) and bail her out....YES! Did it teach her anything the last time we did, NO. Are we doing it now...NO!!! We are making HER figure out how to fix the mess she got herself into. WE consider that being responsible, because SHE needs to learn and figure out how to "make it happen". Had her current situation have been something she had not done to herself, we would have been there with open checkbook in a NY minute!

Another example....my husband went back to school to earn his PhD. Despite the fact he now earns MORE money because of the cost/time/effort to earn it, we are NOT allowed to take the interest on his student loans off of taxes "because we make too much". REALLY????? They sure have no problem TAXING us on those same degrees that EARN us more.

Drive 2 very fuel efficient cars, live in a $280K home, and watch what we spend. SORRY if that bothers you, cause the way YOU choose to live sure the hell does not bother me!

Last edited by Paka; 10-13-2015 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 11:54 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I wrote that wrong and was unable to go and edit it, but we make under 200K per year, but still comfortable by LOTS of standards.

It might interest you to know MANY of us that have worked hard, educated ourselves and done everything we can to be an ASSET VS BURDEN to society as a whole are still worried and want to ensure that what we have LEFT after paying taxes and such on our income are THRIFTY with what we have earned and managed to keep. I have NO need to impress others with "toys/things/objects". I shop thrifty, donate regularly and do all I can to be a GOOD person with the income God has allowed us to earn.

We COULD afford a home 5X the price of the one we are in, but the one we have we LOVE and are so very comfortable in....why bother????

Yes, I want the money WE have earned and WE have saved to benefit those people that WE choose after everyone we are FORCED to support with our taxes. We have an adult child who, because of actions SHE chose, gotten herself into a bind. Could we write the check (again) and bail her out....YES! Did it teach her anything the last time we did, NO. Are we doing it now...NO!!! We are making HER figure out how to fix the mess she got herself into. WE consider that being responsible, because SHE needs to learn and figure out how to "make it happen". Had her current situation have been something she had not done to herself, we would have been there with open checkbook in a NY minute!

Another example....my husband went back to school to earn his PhD. Despite the fact he now earns MORE money because of the cost/time/effort to earn it, we are NOT allowed to take the interest on his student loans off of taxes "because we make too much". REALLY????? They sure have no problem TAXING us on those same degrees that EARN us more.

Drive 2 very fuel efficient cars, live in a $280K home, and watch what we spend. SORRY if that bothers you, cause the way YOU choose to live sure the hell does not bother me!
What does any of this have to do with the fact that you wanted to talk about rampant inflation that does not exist; went searching for an Internet article to justify your erroneous belief; found an article on inflation, but didn't notice that it was from well over a year ago; and then completely misread and misunderstood the article and started this thread to complain about a supposed 7.7% rate of inflation that again, doesn't exist anywhere in the country and was merely the result of you misreading the article in question?

Old 10-13-2015, 02:15 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:

I don't get the point of the rant honestly.

There has been some inflation among some items. Sometimes this inflation is abrupt and quite considerable, like the price of eggs. Other items have seen price decreases, like gasolines.

Some things are increasing in price, others decreasing. It doesn't impact you that much personally as you are both very high income earners relative to what most people are earning.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:37 PM

AGAIN, LOOK AT THE POST THAT I WAS RESPONDING TO PLEASE!!!!! If this does NOT make sense to you, IT WAS A DIRECT RESPONSE TO THE QUESTION RESPONDED TO!!!!!

Old 10-13-2015, 02:56 PM

I am totally tickled by those that are sending me direct messages saying the SAME people seem to thing they OWN this forum and everything others feel might need to be discussed!!!!!! DUDES, WE DO NOT ALL HAVE THE SAME NEEDS, REQUIREMENTS OR CIRCUMSTANCES GONG ON IN OUR LIVES!!!!! Maybe, just MAYBE because it does not directly impact/affect you does not mean others do not feel the need for answers/responses!!!!!!!

Old 10-13-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:

I knew exactly what you meant when you said high six figures. That is often used to describe income closer to 200k than 100K. Just like mid six figures gets used to describe the middle range of 150k plus or minus. With regards to the thoughts on inflation I would add that inflation for lay people is very difficult to quantify. Our interpretation is usually based on what we feel, eat, drink and remember. There are broadly agreed upon measurements that economist and others use that are less personal and reflect broader economic principles regarding inflation. The professional feeling is that those inflationary pressures are not there and to the to the contrary there are strong deflationary pressures. That does not mean that is a personal experience. So really the inflation that some of us feel and others of us don't is not necessarily the same forces driving official inflation measurements. As retirees we can become increasingly different from the norm if no reason other than driving and health need changes.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I knew exactly what you meant when you said high six figures. That is often used to describe income closer to 200k than 100K. Just like mid six figures get used to describe the middle range of 150k plus or minus.
YOU are SO correct....but I am not use to posting this kinda info!!!! Tried to rep ya again TurbogP, but gotta spread the love. I think that is is UBBER important that EVERYONE that comes here with a retirement issue/problem/question feels welcome and not cut out because the majority (or more apparent posters) do not feel because it is not THEIR concern it is not A concern!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement