Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 06:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Robyn,

I'm not sure about your specific situation. However, a mild cold is not a reason to put off getting the flu shot. An illness with a temperature of 101 degrees or greater would be a reason to temporarily postpone the vaccine.

This is good information to give everyone. A mild cold is no reason to postpone the flu shot. This is from the National Institutes of Health. If you read down these questions you find this answered.

Flu FAQs
You beat me to it. Very true. A big problem with people putting off their flu shot until they're better is that sometimes they get the flu before they get around to getting back to get the shot.

From the CDC:
Vaccines: Recs/Vac-Admin/Misperceived Contraindications to Vaccination
"Conditions commonly misperceived as contraindications
(i.e., vaccination may be administered under these conditions)
Including DTaP, pediatric DT, adult Td, adolescent-adult Tdap, IPV, MMR, Hib, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, varicella, rotavirus, PCV, TIV, LAIV, PPSV, MCV4, MPSV4, HPV, and herpes zoster (TIV and LAIV are the flu vaccines)

Mild acute illness with or without fever
Mild-to-moderate local reaction (i.e., swelling, redness, soreness); low-grade or moderate fever after previous dose
Lack of previous physical examination in well-appearing person
Current antimicrobial therapy1
Convalescent phase of illness
Preterm birth (hepatitis B vaccine is an exception in certain circumstances)2
Recent exposure to an infectious disease
History of penicillin allergy, other nonvaccine allergies, relatives with allergies, or receiving allergen extract immunotherapy"

See the link.

Someone should inform the pharmacist, but then again, it may be company policy not to immunize people with colds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 07:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I intend to get one. I didn't last year, for no reason except forgetfulness, but I usually do get one every year.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:23 PM

526 posts, read 898,923 times
got mine this week (under 65).

Talked to a couple also getting flu shots - NOT THE 65 plus one. The male has heart troubles & heavy duty shot gave him BAD reactions prior year.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:21 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
My mother's baby brother, who was 2 years old in 1918, died of the flu in that pandemic. There wasn't any vaccination or medical intervention for him.
My fraternal grandfather died of some sort of kidney disease in 1929. My father missed a year of elementary school due to some sort of illness. I think it was scarlet fever with complications. Stuff happens.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:03 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Got mine today along w/ a pneumonia shot. Arms are a little sore but not horribly so, hopefully will be fine (or close to it) tomorrow. Basically I was in and out, glad I got it done and can cross it off my 'to do list' ;-)

Old 10-17-2015, 06:36 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I've gotten a flu shot every year for the past 30yrs. Except for one year. And I got the flu that year. After that it aggravates me to hear someone say they have a "touch of the flu". Honey, the flu only touches you with a baseball bat and you wouldn't be standing here telling me about it with a smile.

The floor of the ER...THAT'S what I'm talking about! Glad you survived! I can relate. I had to crawl to the bathroom, but I also gave myself food poisoning on top of it all. What a nightmare!

I know the nasal spray is live virus and they don't give that to people over 50, I think. I'm in the military/gov't system. It might be different on the outside.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:51 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
OP here. Got my high dosage flu shot on Tuesday and six hours later had hip/back pain that later moved to various joints. Ended up at the chiropractor the next day. For 72 hours the pain went from my hip to my knees to various joints and I felt like I had a fireball in my intestines. No fatigue, no dizziness, no fever, just pains that mysteriously left me last night after 72 hours. While I'm glad I got the shot, next year it will be just the regular flu vaccine. I'll save the high dosage for those tougher than me.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Got a high dose senior shot (I am 67--not really elderly to my mind) at different pharmacy than normally use--I am in Florida right now--usually get my shot in DFW TX area.
Had sore area after initial injection.
Next day arm still sore and later that night after shower noticed I had large red, swollen area about 4 inches long and 4-5 inches wide--extending down from injection site and about half way around my arm...
Was raised/swollen, sore to the touch, and hot...looked inflamed.

I have had flu shots for past several years and have never had reaction like that before.
Had headache and felt generally a little off...
Called the CVS where I got the shot and spoke to pharmacist still there--store was almost ready to close.
He said that was just reaction to shot--
I should mark the diameter of the raised areas with ball point and note any additional swelling outside those lines.
IF that happened should go to the ER--also if there was indication of anaphylaxis--swelling in throat, difficulty breathing, etc...

None of that happened but the redness/swelling/hot persisted for at least two days...
it was sore for more than a week and there was itching under the skin even after the redness and puffyness went away...

I was concerned and I will think hard about getting a shot next year--
I don't know what the different was but my husband got his shot in TX area with no problems and my friend who always gets a shot too got hers w/o any issues...

Will report to my own doctor when I get back to TX so they can document the serial number of the vaccine used...

Old 10-17-2015, 08:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I've gotten a flu shot every year for the past 30yrs. Except for one year. And I got the flu that year. After that it aggravates me to hear someone say they have a "touch of the flu". Honey, the flu only touches you with a baseball bat and you wouldn't be standing here telling me about it with a smile.

The floor of the ER...THAT'S what I'm talking about! Glad you survived! I can relate. I had to crawl to the bathroom, but I also gave myself food poisoning on top of it all. What a nightmare!

I know the nasal spray is live virus and they don't give that to people over 50, I think. I'm in the military/gov't system. It might be different on the outside.
You are absolutely correct, especially in that first paragraph. People who think they had a "touch of flu" probably had a bad cold, if that. Or they had some vomiting/diarrhea bug that is not related to flu at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
OP here. Got my high dosage flu shot on Tuesday and six hours later had hip/back pain that later moved to various joints. Ended up at the chiropractor the next day. For 72 hours the pain went from my hip to my knees to various joints and I felt like I had a fireball in my intestines. No fatigue, no dizziness, no fever, just pains that mysteriously left me last night after 72 hours. While I'm glad I got the shot, next year it will be just the regular flu vaccine. I'll save the high dosage for those tougher than me.
It's unlikely the flu shot caused those problems, but a regular flu shot is good too. Just don't go without one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Got a high dose senior shot (I am 67--not really elderly to my mind) at different pharmacy than normally use--I am in Florida right now--usually get my shot in DFW TX area.
Had sore area after initial injection.
Next day arm still sore and later that night after shower noticed I had large red, swollen area about 4 inches long and 4-5 inches wide--extending down from injection site and about half way around my arm...
Was raised/swollen, sore to the touch, and hot...looked inflamed.

I have had flu shots for past several years and have never had reaction like that before.
Had headache and felt generally a little off...
Called the CVS where I got the shot and spoke to pharmacist still there--store was almost ready to close.
He said that was just reaction to shot--
I should mark the diameter of the raised areas with ball point and note any additional swelling outside those lines.
IF that happened should go to the ER--also if there was indication of anaphylaxis--swelling in throat, difficulty breathing, etc...

None of that happened but the redness/swelling/hot persisted for at least two days...
it was sore for more than a week and there was itching under the skin even after the redness and puffyness went away...

I was concerned and I will think hard about getting a shot next year--
I don't know what the different was but my husband got his shot in TX area with no problems and my friend who always gets a shot too got hers w/o any issues...

Will report to my own doctor when I get back to TX so they can document the serial number of the vaccine used...
Please do not skip a flu shot next year. The regular flu shot is acceptable and CDC has not stated a preference as to which version you get. I got the high dose b/c I got a regular shot last year (quad) and got the flu anyway, just when my daughter was visiting from out of state. I had an achy arm for several days. Nothing more. But we're all different. As far as anaphylaxis, the pharmacist was doing his job telling you those symptoms, but the risk is close to zero after several hours.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
The inhibiting factor in future shots is that each year the formula is recalculated based on what the CDC THINKS might be a variation in the strain of flu that might be more prevalent--since there can be several flu strains that develop and one more significant than others.

No one really knows WHAT might be in the vaccine to trigger a more severe reaction than the year before.

I know if I am allergic to something I am always allergic to it--peanuts, Codine, certain pollens--
but there is no real way to know if you MIGHT be allergic to what is in the new strain next year unti you take it...
and I don't mean general factors like "eggs"

I am not allergic to any medications--nor eggs--
but I had a very unwelcome reaction to this year's senior dose vaccine.

I just wonder how many other people did who have never had a reaction--
and I bet those numbers are not in any news story...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement